The unofficial GUN talk thread

MuddyWRX

Looking at picking up a new hunting rifle, looking at the Remington 700 tactical for the shorter heavy barrel. Any thoughts? I want something to hunt with and be able to try some longer range stuff year round.

Looking at picking up a new hunting rifle, looking at the Remington 700 tactical for the shorter heavy barrel. Any thoughts? I want something to hunt with and be able to try some longer range stuff year round.

smelt240

As long as you stay away from the Wallyworld specials ( I don't think they carry the tacticals anyway), those 700s are awesome. My buddy has one in .338 Lapua, with a nice Leupold, lots of boom, and really nice to shoot. I had a 700 BDL in .308, and loved it, should have kept it. I would think that's what you're looking at for hunting/ long range... If the lapua was cheaper, Id recommend it for sure though

MuddyWRX

Yeah I do like the 700s my current rifle is a 700 in 25-06 which shoots great and is very accurate, and for sale. Great for hunting, not so much for burning up rounds at the range. I just didn't know if there might be something as good/better in that price range.

Last edited by a moderator:

smelt240

Little more $$$, but take a look at the FN tactical .308.  Another fun toy that is super accurate. My buddy just picked up a sporterized springfield 30-06 at my uncle's shop for $200. Something like that might be worth a look too. He always has a bunch of old butchered military stuff for cheap $$$. Most of those are really nice to shoot, just too bad someone murderized them.

MuddyWRX

Thanks, I will look into that as well. Anyone know what a Remington Model 700 TM SPS is? I can find info on just the SPS rifles but not the TM.

Nate

Founding Father
From my understanding the TM (tactical model) is their 300 blackout model SPS. Now that I'm setup to shoot 300blk, and plan on getting a suppressor, this model bolt gun will be in my safe soon.

MuddyWRX

That's what I thought, but back in 2007 apparently it meant something different. That's what my 25-06 is labeled as according to the serial # I sent Remington.

MuddyWRX

Anything is possible.

Still messing with my saiga 12, anyone know of any good gunsmiths that do good work on these? I know a few of the usual gunsmiths that do good things with shortening barrels etc, but trying to find more of an expert on that platform.

Nate

Founding Father
So I got married yesterday!...... but that has nothing to do with guns. Except that I got a Glock 42 as a wedding gift!

Here's a pic with my Glock 19 for a size comparison. All my typical bits are on order for it, along with a holster. Night sights, extended mag and slide release, and I'll do some trigger work.

i-wagon

Saw that on Facebook, congratulations!

Gun related: had my 870 listed on uncle Henry's, for way too much. Had a guy all lined up to buy it until I mentioned seeing a driver's license or cwp. Can't seem to get a reply now. (Not sketch at all)

i-wagon

Tomorrow is my big day, bow hunting again after12 years. Almost showered with axe instead of dead down wind. like that wash way better than the scent away

inski

I Need your help!

I've signed up for a gauntlet 3 gun match.  This match is similar to others except instead of shooting 6 stages throughout the day, I will be shooting 6 stages all at once!  All the ammo I need (plus a few extras) will need to be on me before I start.  Pretty much running and gunning for 20-25 minutes straight.

So I need to figure out how to ....

***hold 100+ rounds of rifle ammo in mags on myself.  ( I have a mag pouch that hold 2 30round mags)

***hold 20+ rounds of shotgun shells on myself. (I have a belt caddy that holds 6, stock sock that holds 6)

***Pistol is no problem, I need 40-50 on me and I can do that with the mags and mag holders I have.

Problem is in a regular course of fire (one stage) things are very crowded on my belt, so I'm thinking taping some mags together, and I need a dump pouch or bag because everything I go in with needs to come out with me, theres no recovering mags if they hit the ground.  I have a trap shooting dump bag I can dangle off my back side but I will be running/sprinting a lot and dont want to have crap falling out.  Maybe a backpack backwards??

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.  Especially the shotgun shell carry. 

THANKS!!

edit: experimented with the backward backpack.  I like it but a chest rig would be awesome because at some point I will be in the prone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate

Founding Father
I have some 40 round pmags you can use. And a couple of ITW fastmag hooked together. It's a quick drawing double mag pouch. That would be 80 rounds...

I also have 6 round shotgun shell cards. Loaded they slide into any M4 mag pouch. And with heavy duty Velcro attach to your shotgun receiver...

inski

I'd like to check it out.  Pm or text me when you're off duty again.  I could run over at lunch time or after 5 most days

Latest posts

Back