TIC Clunk Killer bushing install

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I threw the Turn In Concepts Clunk Killer bushing set on my RS yesterday.

The kit consists of outrigger bushings and rear diff bushings.

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_10_1355_1359_1373&products_id=187

It comes in two flavors. Comfort and Race. I got the comfort ones and even they increase NVH.

Links to the DIY installs are on the item page linked above so I'll spare you all a full write up and just show some pictures and comments.

These are the outrigger bushings:

Ssgsa.jpg

They go in here:

J8icE.jpg

These are the bolts that hold the outrigger bracket on. The rubber thing is what we crammed in there before to stop the clunking since jacking on the outriggers causes them to bend and make contact with the mount:

4UHqZ.jpg

Wire-wheeled and painted the outriggers because why not:

S60xM.jpg

Cram all that crap back on the car.

Then get ready to installs these fancy rear diff bushings:

KOwJW.jpg

Diff bracket thing that's an infinite pain in the ass:

bj4Ac.jpg

Quick and dirty wirewheel + spray bomb:

w8JIl.jpg

Old bushings:

xao1r.jpg

The outrigger bushings are stupid easy to install. 3 bolts per side, put bushings in, put 3 bolts back in.

The rear diff on the other hand was a colossal pain in the ass. You have to remove 2 bolts with nuts, and then two studs with nuts. The bolts hit the axles, so you have to take the studs out of the diff so you can lower the diff to get the bolts out. It was difficult to get sockets on the studs because the body is in the way. The DIY says double nut the studs and use a wrench to back them out. Luckily the nuts had rusted to the stud, acting as a bolt, so I just used PB blaster, a socket, and a breaker bar to pop them loose. Then drop the diff to get the other two bolts, and pop the mount out. Reinstall wasn't too bad, just required fiddling with the jack to get things lined up and by then I was tired and didn't want to be out there anymore.

Put everything back together and it made quite the difference in throttle response. I'm now no longer waiting for my drive train to catch up to the car every time I lift or press the gas. I've got group N motor and trans mounts, transmission cross-member bushings, and now these. The car is definitely locked down and more responsive, but NVH has definitely increased.

4WRXter

Skier!
Got his eyes fixed, realized we was oogly, doesn't want to talk to us anymore??

Sorry Dan, back on topic.

ryan13

I did the race ones in my sti...big mistake. the NVH was too much for me. Good choice on the comfort set

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Just an update on this. I installed these about a month and a half ago, and my drivetrain slop has slowly returned. I took apart the outriggers again today to inspect everything and repack the bushings. The bushings have smooshed around a bit and after repacking everything, the slop was greatly reduced again. Not really sure wtf to think. I'll drive it for a few weeks and see if it starts clunking bad again. Might get the race outrigger bushings and see if those do it.

Jonathan

Just picked up the race version of these along with a slew of other stuff from TiC. Cant wait to install them.

NVH, here I come.

Latest posts

Back