ultimate rally-x engine

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
That's the route I want to take with my RS, make it bulletproof, make it light.

Aluminum hood, move battery to the boot, remove trunk upholstery, less gas at events, remove the spare, pull out easy to remove interior bits, go potty before event, etc.

The FXT drivetrain probably effs with my classing, but I'm tired of breaking RS stuff and don't really care about classes, just overall.

Imprezah

one question ppl often overlook when thinking motor swaps for race cars is what are the classing ramifications of the swaphave kinda lost touch with current rallyX regs, but am pretty sure you can keep a 'stock' motor and make all sorts of suspension and chassis tweaks without getting kicked up a class or 2 so you're running with what are basically Open Class rally cars.

am still of the inclination that for rallyx the motor itself makes much less difference than lightness, agility, simplicity and mechanical reliability.for the time and $$$ and mechanical uncertainty involved in an H6 swap, you can do considerable wonders to stripping  your car, bolting on supple longer-travel suspension, fitting lower/closer ratio gearing, center/front/rear LSDs and proper tires.....all of which you;d need to do on top of the H6 swap to be competitive anyway.

Colin Chapman of Lotus built cars that won many races with the mantra, "simplicate, then add lightness."
unfortunatley, stripping the car or doing any work to the transmission bumps you up to open class, as does an engine swap. (SCCA rally-x rules)

I started the discussion assuming you would run in open class.

If open or rally-prepared are your class of choice... a 99-01 2.5RS built to class specs is my car of choice.

Imprezah

SCCA has 3 classes

stock

prepared

modified

In prepared class you are allowed to replace one diff with an LSD.

Any sort of engine or transmission swap puts you in modified.

I'm not crazy about these rules... because for example say I wanted to swap an N/A 2.5 into an early impreza that came stock with the EJ18. I would have to be in the modified class while RS's that already have the 2.5 engine can be in stock class. Perhaps the rules could be based on power output and displacement calculations like other types of racing.

Mark

what about a '99 base impreza 2.2 with a phase II 2.5 swap? I assume this is still modified? that's kind of nitpicking if you ask me, since that trim level exists

Imprezah

the reasonable consensus is that you can get 200 crank horsepower out of an EJ25 N/A

cams

intake

full exhaust

and the crawford ECU re-map

Then their is the great debate that says EJ25s are not as reliable as EJ18 and EJ22. Some years of EJ25s had headgasket issues, but that has largely been resolved. But the larger bore and different stroke may contribute to engine wear over time or if you spend a lot of time bouncing off the rev limiter.

EJ18 and EJ22 have a track record of running and running even under abuse.

ReZPunK

one of the best things you can do for Rallyx is improve the driver software. hands down best place to spend money to be faster...2.5 RS is the best setup to run imo.

katnip

the car is black. I swear
one of the best things you can do for Rallyx is improve the driver software. hands down best place to spend money to be faster...2.5 RS is the best setup to run imo.
what he said. my RS, with a few tweaks that put it in prepared, in my hands was a an OK car (ie. finish 7 out of 10) in my husbands hands it was a first in class and fastest time of day car.

even better example: I regularly get my arse handed to me by an 18 y/o in a 1.8 impreza and yes I drive the STi.

learn to drive first, mod the car second!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back