Used WRX values

Mark

In what is no surprise to anyone I have been looking into used WRX's for the past couple weeks to figure out my target range. I've noticed a few things. The first thing is that finally used WRX's have managed to fall comfortably below 10k, which used to be a figure only a few basketcase bugeyes had seen the underside of. At first it surprised me that I could get a quality WRX for under 10k. Then I compared it to what other types of cars you might be able to find in the 6-8,000 range. THIS is what surprised me.

LOADS of 3 series BMW's with reasonable miles from the 2000-2003 range. EVEN MORE Audi A4's. Even a few 5 series BMW's.

All of these in better condition for the same or less money than your average WRX. So what is keeping the WRX resale price so high? The thing that spikes my attention so much is somewhat of an anomaly in the car resale market. Private party sales prices are HIGHER than retail sales prices. Pape is selling a BEAUTIFUL 2004 premium WRX for under 10k because they realize that to the public it's a 7 year old subaru with 126k miles on it. Meanwhile I just saw a 2002 bugeye on craigslist with a bunch of cheap mods for 11,500.

That being said, I will end up with a used WRX in the next couple months and I'll be damn happy about.

To answer the obvious question first: I used BMW and Audi more because of the relative MSRP of those cars versus the WRX. NOT the abilities or uses. You can make the "maintenance" excuse all day about German cars but I'd bet a higher percentage of turbo Subarus experience problems private sale versus BMW/Audi. It's all about the previous owners.

picard

im new to this but ive been browsing the site a lil bit and the 04 sub at pape might be the guy who just bought a new wrx there in the thread a few post down

Carter

Administrator
Subaru has the highest resale value in the industry, I have read this in many articles and even Subaru is mentioning this on TV.

stiXXX

What most FAIL to consider is the EJ20's frequent propensity to detonate past 100k, & the WRX' glass 5-speed...

A 100K WRX is a car you need $5K in the bank, or on a credit card, to own "safely"-& AAA is a very good idea, as well.

I just spent +$2000 on a new EJ25 install & tune to replace a MINT EJ20

that detonated for NO GOOD REASON AT ALL with 105K.

One owner, ALL records, MINT, dealer serviced since new w/ an extended warranty, synth oil since mile 0001-and it shat on Christmas day at 30MPH.

Luckily, I had a 36k, mint '06 LGT motor in the barn-but a new TurboSmart BPV (Perrin for the FAIL, as usual!) the tune ($400) and new 750 DW injectors, combined with other odds and ends (approx. $450 in Kinetic labor, plus Mikey's install fee) left me with a $1,520.00 bill at Kinetic, and WELL over $2000 for the whole swap-AND I ALREADY OWNED THE MOTOR! (ouch, my arse!!)

If you think for a SECOND that an "$8k WRX" with 120k miles won't need $3-5,000 w/in a short time, I'm sorry, but you're fooling yourselves.

New Motor- $2500-$15,000*

New STI tranny- $3-$5000*

Clutch-$400-$2500+ *

*Plus install costs like:

Motor-$750+

Tranny-$500+

Clutch-$350+

Tune-$400-$500+

It's not nearly the "bargain" it seems, especially because 90% of all WRX & STI's get the SNOT beat out of them!

My .02

XXX

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
I am a vw/audi dealer tech
default_additional_thumbsup.gif
. I now own only subies, have owned vw/audi and saabs. I have worked on bmws as well. For my money I would go with a wrx hands down every time
default_cool.png
. All cars have there problems (cough, vw/audi 1.8t, cough) oh and newer 2.0 fsi haha intake cams, oil burners, and terrible fuel mileage in winter especially with e10. Any way I personally prefer subies due to less complicated easier and cheaper to keep going and yes the interior quality may not be as nice as an A4/A6 (try taking one apart, like when your replacing carpets due to water leaks). IMO with any car if "tuned" will not last as long as factory and basically rolling dice as to what major components will fail. Plus I know working on the same problems with cars every day has always driven me away from those vehicles.

Mark

i believe, in some sense you're agreeing with me Greg, but then i never can quite tell...

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
a grenade is for headgaskets, on the greatest of engines.

the 2.0 chat about fails, if the gasket is of grpahite or most gentle suby oem (there are some tough subaru oem version)

but getting to the point.. these are only good for maybe ten to 12 years...a boxer is soaked at all tiimes on or off in the coolant system. and even the oil ports passing by...all sideways.

they probably don't get the hydrazine thermite disasters like an ea engine can get anymore..(mine can still melt an exhaust sytem)

there is a means to longevity, as some of found with the subes already.

try this:

http://www.professional-products.com/Oilfilter.html

Meyagi

I'm a hack
all turbo ej motors except the 2.2T use metal headgaskets. they rarely go bad on turbo engines.

Busuto05

In what is no surprise to anyone I have been looking into used WRX's for the past couple weeks to figure out my target range. I've noticed a few things. The first thing is that finally used WRX's have managed to fall comfortably below 10k, which used to be a figure only a few basketcase bugeyes had seen the underside of. At first it surprised me that I could get a quality WRX for under 10k. Then I compared it to what other types of cars you might be able to find in the 6-8,000 range. THIS is what surprised me.

LOADS of 3 series BMW's with reasonable miles from the 2000-2003 range. EVEN MORE Audi A4's. Even a few 5 series BMW's.

All of these in better condition for the same or less money than your average WRX. So what is keeping the WRX resale price so high? The thing that spikes my attention so much is somewhat of an anomaly in the car resale market. Private party sales prices are HIGHER than retail sales prices. Pape is selling a BEAUTIFUL 2004 premium WRX for under 10k because they realize that to the public it's a 7 year old subaru with 126k miles on it. Meanwhile I just saw a 2002 bugeye on craigslist with a bunch of cheap mods for 11,500.

That being said, I will end up with a used WRX in the next couple months and I'll be damn happy about.

To answer the obvious question first: I used BMW and Audi more because of the relative MSRP of those cars versus the WRX. NOT the abilities or uses. You can make the "maintenance" excuse all day about German cars but I'd bet a higher percentage of turbo Subarus experience problems private sale versus BMW/Audi. It's all about the previous owners.
Re: 04 WRX @ Pape, Mileage just pushed 121K! Check it out on PapeSubaru.com My conversations with the previous owner, a fellow forum member, leads me to believe that this car has been meticulously maintained and not abused. It's used, and no used vehicle is in "excellent" condition, but this 04 is in great condition, feels tight and runs great.

We are selling it as "Maine Inspection Sticker only" because of the miles. We know that there aren't many nice used WRXs out there and why ask over book, close but not over
!

PM me if you are interested or have any question!

SWPWRX

Quoted from Mark:"Pape is selling a BEAUTIFUL 2004 premium WRX for under 10k because they realize that to the public it's a 7 year old subaru with 126k miles on it. Meanwhile I just saw a 2002 bugeye on craigslist with a bunch of cheap mods for 11,500. "

Re: 04 WRX @ Pape, Mileage just pushed 121K! Check it out on PapeSubaru.com My conversations with the previous owner, a fellow forum member, leads me to believe that this car has been meticulously maintained and not abused. It's used, and no used vehicle is in "excellent" condition, but this 04 is in great condition, feels tight and runs great.

We are selling it as "Maine Inspection Sticker only" because of the miles. We know that there aren't many nice used WRXs out there and why ask over book, close but not over
!

PM me if you are interested or have any question!

Yep it was mine! It's a great car with lots of new parts. I'd be glad to answer any questions to anyone who is interested in the car.

Last edited by a moderator:

skipow

ha my wrx had* 230k.

just had it rebuilt.

ive owned 6 vw/audi's previous to my this(my first subaru) and i doubt i'll go back- unless its for a cheap racecar (like my vr6 swapped mk2 gti)

im SO happy not to have to deal with german electrical gremlins all day.

picard

ha my wrx had* 230k.

just had it rebuilt.

ive owned 6 vw/audi's previous to my this(my first subaru) and i doubt i'll go back- unless its for a cheap racecar (like my vr6 swapped mk2 gti)

im SO happy not to have to deal with german electrical gremlins all day.
^^ i like the fellow vw/audi swappper myself haha goood choice im working on the same thing as soon as i get my cars sold and time for a new one only thing i hope doesn't killl me is the insurance i got list fulll of POOP on my driving record
default_additional_jawdrop.gif

Latest posts

Back