VF40 Just Blew Up

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
how do you remove variable valve timing? that doesn't even make sense
It's part of the head. The acvs solenoid is a thing that uses oil pressure to actuate all the fancy shit that makes the variable valve timing happen. I'm not 100% sure how it all works, to be honest. But I do know there are tons of little oil passages and banjo bolt screen type things. When the motor goes poop, all that stuff gets full of bearing crap and cloggs up. If the heads aren't completely disassembled, pressure washed, and hot tanked. You're going to have issues down the line.

DShane

That's why I'm hoping the dealer will let my mechanic do the work because he'll definitely do all that when he puts it in. 

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Your engine and a wrx engine are both an ej255, they're all the same thing, really.

If you can, see if you can get aftermarket pistons put in it before being bolted together. The 08+ pistons are made out of silly putty. Ask drvsdwz...
true story....09 wrx broke ringlands at 28000 miles, and my 08 sti at 30000 miles. 3000 miles later rod bearing failure.....that was because they replaced the piston instead of shorblock and was probably still dirty.

since then I have put 17000 miles on the new longblock and turbo, and only use shell t6 5w-40 motor oil

DShane

If someone who knows what they're talking about could put a list of things that should be done with the new engine being put in that'd be real cool.

Then I could show the list to my mechanic and make sure he plans on doing everything.

DShane

I'm glad to hear that they're a reputable shop. It makes me feel better about the dealer if that's their go to place. I'd still rather have my own mechanic do it just because I've already got a built up trust with him, and I don't let other people feel up my manifolds and such so easily. 
default_additional_neener.gif

SUBARUDE

Sorry to hear but beside meyagi they are the best in the area for working on subaru's and do this job on a monthly basis got to love GT's

DShane

We'll see what happens. Hopefully they get me a new turbo too.

If not, we can play the "How many engines can Dylan blow up in his GT game!" 4? 5? Who knows! Stay tuned to find out.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Another vf40 would be fine. As long as the oil pick up screen nonsense gets taken care of.

doesn't matter what turbo is on your car, if it gets starved of oil its gonna shit the bed. End of story.

DShane

Alright so I asked my mechanic about my turbo because all you guys on here were starting to make me pretty nervous. He told me that my engine never seized so therefore there is no chance of oil starvation to the turbo. The rod bearing spun, so it started making a really loud noise, but the engine still ran and everything, and really there wouldn't even be any damage to any of the internal components unless I had run it like that for a while. If I had continued to run it then It would have thrown a rod through a cylinder or something, and at that point the engine would have seized and my turbo would have been starved of oil.

But again, since it didn't get to that point, all that needs to technically be replaced is the shortblock, but since that involves such a large amount of labor, they're just putting in a whole new engine, and leaving the same turbo, which only has like 12k miles on it.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
spun bearing = more metal shavings going through other oil ports and oil cooler and turbo => make sure there is no shaft play. 

My car spun a bearing and subaru replaced my long block and turbo because there was excessive shaft play.

I'm not saying your mechanic is wrong, but the turbo doesn't have to be starved to go bad. Metal going through where the shaft is will wear it out causing it to egg.

I know this first hand.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Running bits of shredded rod bearing through the turbo is bad for it. Why would the engine seizing cause the turbo to be oil starved? If the engine isn't spinning, it's not making exhaust to spin the turbo...

So because it's been knocking and spewing bits of rod bearing through the engine, your turbo is probably dickered up, and all the passages and stuff in the head and avcs need to be cleaned.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
yep, metal shavings contaminate everything. If you're getting a long block okay sure, but anything that had old motor oil in it should be cleaned at least if not replaced.

DShane

The only other point I want to add is that if there was even a slight chance of the turbo needing to be replaced, then my mechanic would be more than willing. He would make more money off the job, and since he's a family friend he would obviously want me to make out as well as I could from this situation. With that being said, I'm confident that if he thought even a little that I needed a new one, then he would have it replaced.

Also, he even said himself he won't know 100% whether it does or doesn't until he looks in the oil pan.

Running bits of shredded rod bearing through the turbo is bad for it. Why would the engine seizing cause the turbo to be oil starved? If the engine isn't spinning, it's not making exhaust to spin the turbo...

So because it's been knocking and spewing bits of rod bearing through the engine, your turbo is probably dickered up, and all the passages and stuff in the head and avcs need to be cleaned.
the engine didn't seize. my mechanic said it would still fire right up if I had tried, but that it was a good thing I didn't.

Latest posts

Back