weird sounds and smoke help!

GREASEMONKEY

--Powered By A.D.H.D.--
is it knocking...clunking...color of smoke? id run a leak down and a compression test.... kinda sounds like a bad valve ..... the other simple test, is to kill the spark individually coil to coil....till you find the one that makes no change to the way the engine runs...that will be you problem cylinder...I hope for you that I am wrong and its just a sensor..........not sure where u live but if its close to Gardiner your welcome to swing by my shop....good luck!!!

i-wagon

I just had a front o2 sensor crap out and my car didn't run well at all. Not that bad, but not good.if you have a front o2 code and black smoke she's running rich because the sensor ain't reading right.

Just re-read first post to see smoke was coming from intercooler area. Only obvious thing I can think of in that area that would leak is tranny dipstick, but if you were burning gear oil or atf you would smell it

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt

Bad front a/ f sensor will make it run like crap. Which is what that code is. Replace the sensor and it should be fine.

Zach

Just to make sure the CEL code P0031 is for the front 02 sensor because I was looking at some and there were some for before the cat and after the cat.

Matt

Yes there are two sensors. One before the cat and one after. This code is specifically for the one before the cat. Also known as the upstream o2 sensor.

Zach

My father replaced the front 02 sensor while I was at work and the CEL went from being solid to now blinking... I did make sure I got the upstream 02 sensor I asked the guy at NAPA a million times just to make sure.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
blinking means a misfire, or not running on all cylinders..... which would also explain the shaking. either a compression problem on one cyl, a bad plug or coil or a bad injector

Zach

I don't know what code its throwing but ill be able to get it checked tomorrow from the dude next to my house.

blinking means a misfire, or not running on all cylinders..... which would also explain the shaking. either a compression problem on one cyl, a bad plug or coil or a bad injector
Is their a test that can be done to tell me exactly which one of the four it is?

Zach

I got the car scanned for codes again today and what the guy told me was this.

CEL code history:

Multiple misfires on cyl 1, 2, 3, and 4

o2 sensor ( just replaced that)

Pending CEL codes:

misfire on cyl 2, and 4.

I also noticed that the engine light only blinks in neutral and under 2k rpms. Above 2k rpms the engine light stays soild and does not blink and while giving the car some throttle while in the turbo I can feel it stuttering every now and then. Another thing I noticed when I started my car in the parking lot at work it smelled like a flooded lawn mower but not as strong.

Zach

Iv been looking around and I was wondering if I might need to have the timing belt serviced?

inski

My father replaced the front 02 sensor while I was at work and the CEL went from being solid to now blinking... I did make sure I got the upstream 02 sensor I asked the guy at NAPA a million times just to make sure.
Looks like the situation is getting worse. The above statement is full of fail.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Iv been looking around and I was wondering if I might need to have the timing belt serviced?
I suppose it's possible the timing belt has jumped. I'm not sure why it would jump when you've just been driving it around a bit to figure out what's wrong. Maybe a failed tensioner. But if that is the problem, or whatever the problem is. You should probably stop driving it until you get it looked at to figure out exactly what's going wrong.

Something is really wrong, esp. if it's the timing belt. If that goes completely it's going to be a lot more expensive.

NAPA guys don't always know what they are looking at even if you have them double check. In order to get the correct parts find a person that is 100% reliable when you buy a part. I am changing NAPA stores for this very reason.

The misfire on all 4 cylinders would have been when it shutdown probably. Pull the spark plugs on cylinders 2 and 4. I am guessing that after you run the car they will be wet with fuel. Would not surprise me if it came down to a coil pack going.

inski

Lets assume your father installed the o2 correctly and the o2 sensor is fixed. Although I would not hold much faith on Napa parts or 'the Napa guy' the code for it did not return. Now lets think about the things that will cause a misfire on all 4 cylinders. Its unlikely all four plugs or coils failed all at once.

Three things stand out. Fuel feeds all 4 cyls. Air (MAF and turbo) feeds all four cyls. Timing feeds all four cylinders. Check your fuel. Check your air. Check your timing.

GREASEMONKEY