What struts, fit what models

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
A question i see often, is what struts fit on what Subarus. It usually has to do with people wanting to lift or lower their car. So I figured I'd do a little write up.

So, as a rule, any 02-07 Impreza, 95-99 Legacy or Outback, and 98-08 Forester, share the same strut bolt patterns, both top and bottom. The entire strut assembly from any of these models, will bolt right into any of the other models and years, in that list. The exception is the STi. 04 STi shares the same as all of these, but 05+ STi, does not, as they changed to 5x114 hubs on those.

Now, if you install 02-07 Impreza struts into a Forester, or an Outback, it'll lower the car roughly 2". If you install them into a 95-99 Legacy, not much will change, nut the spring rates will be different for sure.

If you want to lift your 02-07 Impreza, you can use 98-08 Forester strut assemblies, or 96-99 Outback assemblies, 95 Outback was at the regular Legacy height.

98-08 front Forester strut assemblies are all pretty much the same. but, 98-02, and 03-08 Forester rear strut assemblies, are a bit different. The rear spring perch on the 98-02 Forester is lower than the 03-08. But if you use the 98-02 rear springs in the 03-08 Forester rear struts, it'll give a little stiffer ride, and help with saggy butt. But you also need to use the 98-02 top spring plate with that combo as well. And to follow that up, the 03-08 rear Forester struts, have a higher lower spring plate, so you're able to fit larger tires with those.

96-99 Outback struts, and 03-08 Forester struts are almost the same as well, both have the higher spring plate in the rear, but the Outback springs have a lower spring rate.

Hope that helps some confusion, and doesn't add any! Feel free to add info, or ask any further questions!

Motomech2

Any ideas on a 2000 legacy gt wagon? I’ve seen some post say 2000-04 outback but not sure if that is accurate. Also I’ve found a set of 06 outback struts local I’m wondering if they might work. 

chrisboyd

Does anyone know if the Crosstrek struts will fit on the Impreza sedan for a lift?
Specifically, I like my 2017 sedan, but would rather have more clearance, like the old Legacy Outback sedan.

IBratmanI

Does anyone know if the Crosstrek struts will fit on the Impreza sedan for a lift?
Specifically, I like my 2017 sedan, but would rather have more clearance, like the old Legacy Outback sedan.
Yes, they will work, but you will also need the rear subframe spacers to keep the suspension geometry happy.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to lift your 02-07 Impreza, you can use 98-08 Forester strut assemblies, or 96-99 Outback assemblies, 95 Outback was at the regular Legacy height.

98-08 front Forester strut assemblies are all pretty much the same. but, 98-02, and 03-08 Forester rear strut assemblies, are a bit different. The rear spring perch on the 98-02 Forester is lower than the 03-08. But if you use the 98-02 rear springs in the 03-08 Forester rear struts, it'll give a little stiffer ride, and help with saggy butt. But you also need to use the 98-02 top spring plate with that combo as well. And to follow that up, the 03-08 rear Forester struts, have a higher lower spring plate, so you're able to fit larger tires with those.

96-99 Outback struts, and 03-08 Forester struts are almost the same as well, both have the higher spring plate in the rear, but the Outback springs have a lower spring rate.

Would i be able to put outback struts on my 99 forester, and would it ride stiffer or higher? And or is that possible?
Per the quoted original post by @IBratmanI they should, just follow the guidelines mentioned.

Skierman1999

Blackbeard, i read the post, i just didnt see anything in it that mentioned the height difference from the 1st gen forester and outback, and i was confused on if it would work bc he had made it sound like some of the outback rear struts were different

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Blackbeard, i read the post, i just didn't see anything in it that mentioned the height difference from the 1st gen forester and outback, and i was confused on if it would work bc he had made it sound like some of the outback rear struts were different
I hear you - it does sound like it will be much of a height raise, but a stiffer ride. Hope that helps.

IBratmanI

Theyll bolt on, but outback springs are softer than Forester springs. It also would not add any lift. Might even lose a slight amount of height using outback suspension on a forester.

Gavin Miller

If I were to do 99 Impreza struts onto my 99 Forester, would they swap right in and lower it? Or would I also have to do Impreza trailing arms with it?
Nvm anyone who is thinking about lowering their 99 Forester, 99 Impreza struts all the way around will bolt right in and you won't need to do anything to compensate, besides swapping the upper strut mount in the rears to Forester ones because the Impreza ones are too small.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Nvm anyone who is thinking about lowering their 99 Forester, 99 Impreza struts all the way around will bolt right in and you won't need to do anything to compensate, besides swapping the upper strut mount in the rears to Forester ones because the Impreza ones are too small.
Thanks for letting us know!

IBratmanI

An easier swap, is 02-07 Impreza struts. They lower it the same, and no need to swap any top hats.

skiwiedmer

Hey all, brand spakin new to the fourm.
I have a 2016 impreza sport wagon and want to lift it?
I heard that older generation Forester struts would fit on the rig. Like 2010??
I have looked over the web and can't find much on this. Wondering if anyone here can shed some light on the subject.

I am just looking to swap out some shocks for some taller/stiffer ones and possibly put some spacer on top to lift the thing up. Put some meaty tires on the SOB and have fun this winter.

Thanks!

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
We
Hey all, brand spakin new to the fourm.
I have a 2016 impreza sport wagon and want to lift it?
I heard that older generation Forester struts would fit on the rig. Like 2010??
I have looked over the web and can't find much on this. Wondering if anyone here can shed some light on the subject.

I am just looking to swap out some shocks for some taller/stiffer ones and possibly put some spacer on top to lift the thing up. Put some meaty tires on the SOB and have fun this winter.

Thanks!
First, welcome to the forum! I haven't had much time playing with the new Subarus. @IBratmanI is the resident knowledgeman about struts fitting where. Hopefully he can chime in here.

ItzMrFozzy

Hey everyone I’m new to the forum and still looking for insight on my dilemma.

I have a 98 forester and my struts are going out so I started sourcing options. I’m looking at KYB struts for 04-07 wrx wagon and swift sport lowering springs for 04-07 wrx wagon. I was hoping I could use my stock forester top hats. Does this swap sound possible?? Also my front control arm bushings are leaking so should I buy WRX control arms?

Thanks guys!!

Wilbur26

A question i see often, is what struts fit on what Subarus. It usually has to do with people wanting to lift or lower their car. So I figured I'd do a little write up.

So, as a rule, any 02-07 Impreza, 95-99 Legacy or Outback, and 98-08 Forester, share the same strut bolt patterns, both top and bottom. The entire strut assembly from any of these models, will bolt right into any of the other models and years, in that list. The exception is the STi. 04 STi shares the same as all of these, but 05+ STi, does not, as they changed to 5x114 hubs on those.

Now, if you install 02-07 Impreza struts into a Forester, or an Outback, it'll lower the car roughly 2". If you install them into a 95-99 Legacy, not much will change, nut the spring rates will be different for sure.

Hope that helps some confusion, and doesn't add any! Feel free to add info, or ask any further questions!

Hey all new here. So I have another "everyone has the same question" question! Lol. Does anyone have any insight on a 08 impreza? Trying to find anything after 07 seems to be rather challenging. Looking for more ground clearance. Any help would be great. Thanks and have a good day!

Creedboiz

I’m in the same boat with a few others, been doing a lot of reading and am having trouble finding any information about what forester struts will fit an 09 Outback sport. Just looking to get a little extra clearance and some bigger tires for traveling around deeper parts of the UP. Thanks for any direction!

Latest posts

Back