what to look for in a RS

akinaspeedstar

so i will be in the market for a GC8 in the very near future. i owe less the $500 on my car and once it's paid off im gonna start looking for a 2.5RS preferably a 00-01.

so my question is what to look for in these cars. any points that rust more then others? any known problems? what should i be looking for in these cars above and beyond normal car stuff. i can tell you what year and trim any 900 or 93 saab is. but i haven't had enought time playing with subaru's to know some of the quarks yet. any help would be great. or if you know anyone selling one
default_biggrin.png

R

rallyXcramps

*tranny noises while cruising at light throttle = gear lash and excessive play inside.

*tranny noises accompanied by a chopping feeling while turning at slow parking lot speeds = bad viscous clutch

*My rear diff howls at 70 mph = need a new diff or re-build some day

*oil leaks = cam seals, piston pin access o-rings, crank seals

*growling noises above 30mph that may get louder when turning or loading that particular side = bad wheel bearing

*sometimes the 2.5s have the piston slap, worse when engine cold, sound like a severe knock = warranteed for 100,000miles, teflon worn off piston(s), sometimes requires new block, but definately requires new piston(s).

*broken or rock chipped fog lamp= expensive to replace, wont pass state inspection.

*check engine lights aren't common = if it does have one its probably an 02 sensor or EVAP code.

*blown struts or tired struts, you'll see oil leaking from them. or handling performance will seem mooshy.

*chewed up tires = bad alignment (common), abuse.

*the 99s get MAF check engine lights = very expensive to replace.

*typical wear items you'd find on any used car, t-belt, tires, brakes, spark plugs = all are expensive to replace but you can negociate price and/or replacement when buying.

Rightseat

the 00-01s are what you want, they have the good torquey SOHC 2.5, reflector headlights and rear limited slip. Earlier RSs lack these key ingredients, and may have the profoundly sucky DOHC motors.

look underneath for dents and stone damage from having too much fun on dirt roads. If the car already has skid plates and mudflaps, be doubly vigilant.

in short, don't buy an RS from anybody who knows anything about rally. however, if the car has been well maintained, it can have been beat on pretty hard and still be A-OK.

DG

Guilty >
default_biggrin.png

akinaspeedstar

thanks that's exactly what i needed to know! i've bought and sold a ton of cars but it's nice to know what to look for in a particular car.

so im gonna see what i owe exactly on the saab this week and see what i can make happen to get the title back in my hot little hands and then the search for a subaru starts!

EvilAsPie

While i've been pushing Mike into the Subaru world i also have been trying to get my wife to get one as well. We were thinking pre-2000 LGT but those are more rare then the 00-01 imprezas.

So, while i was on the drive last sunday my wife was searching around for cars. She found a 00 WRB RS sedan w/95800 miles at Blue Skye Auto Sales in Benton. Little place on 139. She seamed pretty interested so we took a drive to look at it today.

*tranny noises while cruising at light throttle = gear lash and excessive play inside. - Tranny seams great, shifts well.

*tranny noises accompanied by a chopping feeling while turning at slow parking lot speeds = bad viscous clutch - None

*My rear diff howls at 70 mph = need a new diff or re-build some day - Very quiet at higher speeds >
default_redface.gif

*oil leaks = cam seals, piston pin access o-rings, crank seals - The front of the block and oil pan looked wetish and very dirty. Much like the the back of my motor which the rear main seeps a little more then normal, but not enough to even measure between oil changes. Could have been HG, which were just replaced.

*growling noises above 30mph that may get louder when turning or loading that particular side = bad wheel bearing - None, one bearing was just replaced.

*sometimes the 2.5s have the piston slap, worse when engine cold, sound like a severe knock = warranteed for 100,000miles, teflon worn off piston(s), sometimes requires new block, but definately requires new piston(s). - Purrs like a tiger. ;D

*broken or rock chipped fog lamp= expensive to replace, wont pass state inspection. - Just a little dulled.

*check engine lights aren't common = if it does have one its probably an 02 sensor or EVAP code. none

*blown struts or tired struts, you'll see oil leaking from them. or handling performance will seem mooshy. none and great.

*chewed up tires = bad alignment (common), abuse. - tires have about 50% even tread.

*the 99s get MAF check engine lights = very expensive to replace. - MAP

*typical wear items you'd find on any used car, t-belt, tires, brakes, spark plugs = all are expensive to replace but you can negociate price and/or replacement when buying. -

HG were just done, but no record of t-belt. Strange? Just got new brakes and catback exhaust.

the 00-01s are what you want, they have the good torquey SOHC 2.5, reflector headlights and rear limited slip. Earlier RSs lack these key ingredients, and may have the profoundly sucky DOHC motors.

look underneath for dents and stone damage from having too much fun on dirt roads. If the car already has skid plates and mudflaps, be doubly vigilant.

in short, don't buy an RS from anybody who knows anything about rally. however, if the car has been well maintained, it can have been beat on pretty hard and still be A-OK.
Here's were it gets a little tricky. The car has Perrin lightweight pulley, Optima Yellow Top, engine grounding kit. Short throw shifter, doesn't feel like a stock clutch or flywheel. The engine revs like crazy (or at least a ton more then my 2.2 w/pulleys), aftermarket rear sway, viper security sys, Boston speakers. It had a GReddy cat-back, and rear sway-bar end links.

These all seam like reasonable upgrades. But was it driven in anger with these. The dealer took off the exhaust and end links, but has them available if i want them. Gee, no thanks.
default_redface.gif

And finally i did find a "cut" in the floor board about half way down on the pass side right through the steel. Probably a rock. They just "inspected" it, but this shouldn't pass right? I'm going to see if i can get them to fix it. The interior and paint are awesome. Absolutely no rust!

Asking 9900. Got him down to 8990 today. I know this was a mouthfull, but any thoughts? Is it worth it? Good Price? Oh and the wife loves, it moves like crazy, very tourquey!! 8)

Thoughts?

akinaspeedstar

if you buy that i will hate you for ever.... that being said sounds like a good deal man! go pick it up! but i would probaly get that hole fixed. and who cares if it was driven in anger. what are you gonna do to it? heehee

EvilAsPie

Me? Heidi's gunna drive the crap outta that thing. You should have seen her take off in it today. I was so proud. ;D Man that thing has some torque, and by some i mean a lot!

akinaspeedstar

why not me!!!! i WANT THAT!!!

though who knows if i get that facilities job i can afford a bug eye. OR i can get a RS and a 325is. hahaha that way i can still have my fancey car with leather. and i can go drifting
default_redface.gif

so when are you going to buy it?

EvilAsPie

You don't want it anyway... it's... umm... too... umm... blue.. yeah that's it too blue.

We are working on finances tomorrow and monday. Also waiting to see what people say about it here.

R

rallyXcramps

You can do title searches online now. Or call Vinny or TonyQ for a Carfax.

Lawdawg

FYI Went home for turkey day and spied a Blue 2000 rs for sale in Fairfield Maine. 95K on the clock and asking 10K. Looked to be in very good shape with all lights intact. If you are in Fairfield and head across the three bridges to Benton, just after the third bridge, half way up the hill on the left. Small used car dealer. Good looking car

akinaspeedstar

ok i thought of a new question. thule roof racks for a rs.

and if there all going for 10k im just gonna wait and buy a wrx. the reason i want an rs is because there cheeper. if there gonna be the same price i'd rather have a turbo

Latest posts

Back