what to look for in a RS

akinaspeedstar

what body style was yours lawdawg?

cause if i can't get racks i can't haul my kayak... big problem. and i don't want to have to get a wagon just to get racks....

maybe if i can find something cheep enough i can keep my car for the pratical side and use the subie as a racer..... too many options!

EvilAsPie

FYI Went home for turkey day and spied a Blue 2000 rs for sale in Fairfield Maine. 95K on the clock and asking 10K. Looked to be in very good shape with all lights intact. If you are in Fairfield and head across the three bridges to Benton, just after the third bridge, half way up the hill on the left. Small used car dealer. Good looking car
Yeah man that's the one i went to look at.

I did a little more research and found that an 00 RS is really only worth about 7500-7700 in good to excellent condition. That guy is asking a lot, i'm probably going to make an offer on it tomorrow.

Don't get discorraged Mike you'll find the RS that's right for you at the right price. But if you can afford a WRX it might be easier. Then again 00-01 RSs are the sexiest!

R

redlinerally

No offense either, but your Saab isn't exactly a sedan
default_biggrin.png

EvilAsPie

Mike a decent RS that hasn't been over modded will be in the 7s. Or should be, so don't pay too much. Wagons are cool, but again i say RSs are sexy, and the hole back seat folds down so there's plenty of room. Plus i'm 90% sure Thule makes racks for them. Doesn't Wannarex have a nice rack set on his? WRXs around 10k have a ton of miles, is that really what you want for that kind of money, especially the way you are going to drive it.

mikebike357

Mike - just remember that this will also be your daily driver so make sure you get something that's going to meet your daily needs. You know my stance on what to get, but if you want a sedan, just hold out, be patient and save your pennies. The right car will come along. Just don't jump the gun to get into a scoob and end up with a super high mileage piece of shitte.

I have a nice stage 1 - 04 wrx waiting for you...
default_biggrin.png

Lawdawg

what body style was yours lawdawg?
I have an STi, and somewhat regret trading my bugeye wagon for it :- Roof racks were more convenient, wagon is cheaper to run (better gas mileage--less insurance), and the wagon was more of a sleeper. Anyone want to buy an 05 Sti, 22k mint condition all stock? Seriously, I am thinking about it...

4WRXter

Skier!
AkinaMike: For an Impreza rack (Thule) you will need

Foot Pack #400xt-$135

Fit Kit #206- $52.50

Short Roof Adapter (if it is 2 door) #477- $110.00

Load Bars #LB50- $52.00

That is bars on the car. Then you do have to buy attachments for bikes, skis/boards, kayaks.

Not cheap, but the stuff is well engineered, rugged, lasts basically forever. Parts are available if something wears out or breaks. If you are going to have the car or at least the rack for several years, factor the cost over how many years you have it. 10yrs of ownership= like $50 bucks a year to haul your gear.

Or they are doing a newer system...Rapid Aero Multipurpose Racks. I think that one ends up a little cheaper. You might need some adapters for the bike racks, ski/board racks, kayak. You can go onto http://www.thule.com and go through some steps to outfit any car. They will give you prices.

Hit me up if you need any more help. I sell them at my bike/ski shop so I have all the catalogs.

Sorry for the long post.

akinaspeedstar

so i lost that black wagon. it isn't listed on auto trader anymore. i don't know if that means its sold or if the add just ran out. im almost thinking if this new posistion comes though i can keep the saab for practical. and buy an RS for a toy.... i guess i need to see if i get the job or not before i go buying cars. good luck on the rs!!!

EvilAsPie

Don't congratulate me yet. i put an offer on it and he didn't take it. Said he had 5 other people looking at the car and he didn't need to go that low. Buncha BS, he's asking way too much for the car. If someone wants to pay that much for an RS with 95000 miles go for it. I know he wants to sell it by the end of the month. I think he'll call me back before that. If it gets to be thursday i might call him one more time. well see. i hate buying from a dealer.

Latest posts

Back