Wheel bearing replacement cost

JoshP

curious what a front wheel bearing on a fwd non-abs impreza should cost? Gotten a few quotes for around $400-500

-=Lobstah=-

take the knuckle off, take it to NAPA, ~100 or less ....., put the knuckle back on....

Enjoy
default_lost.gif

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I had a front one done at Norm's just over a year ago, it was around $220.

On my AWD 96 with abs, but should be about the same.

02 WRX Chris

Was gonna say 400 is a lot! I work at napa and your talking well under 100, if you go with the better one it might be closer to 100 but not even near 400!

diabloadsit

I did my wifes 3.5l 2002 Altima and it cost me like $100 in parts and about $60 for Napa to press the bearing from the Knuckle.

Also, I did both front wheels. If you are going to replace wheel bearings always atleast try to do the fronts or the rears at the same time.

So for less than $200 I did both front wheels.

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
even 220 is steep.

even a haynes manual shows the old one to get pounded out and new one vised in..

(that is for old subes with tractor sized bearings.)

I'd still try a new one at home.
default_idk.gif

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
even 220 is steep.
even a haynes manual shows the old one to get pounded out and new one vised in..

(that is for old subes with tractor sized bearings.)

I'd still try a new one at home.
default_idk.gif
You have no idea what you're talking about. The EJ bearings are VERY different from EA bearings. Since you've never worked on an EJ car don't offer advise.

JoshP

I should have mentioned im wondering about what it cost to get it done, not what the part costs. Not my car, and doing it ourselves isn't an option.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Call Norm's and ask about it, should be right around what I said. And I've had good experience with Norm's. EG is awesome too! may as well give them a call and ask about pricing there too.

Evan

when i got the bearing itself from napa it was $60, but then the two seals were another $20. a used knuckle with used bearing at norms was $60 shipped. not sure what the cost to have the labor done is.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I've said above what the cost at Norm's is to have a bearing done. It isn't cheap, but it's a reasonable price given the time it takes.

JoshP

Things worked out where I was able to have the time to do it myself. Cost me $130 with having a shop press in the new one and I replaced the lower ball joint as well. Took me about 45 minutes to remove the knuckle and about the same to install it. If anyone is curious I went from this tutorial: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787070 but it is very straight forward.

Latest posts

Back