Wheel/Tire Size/ offset question. . .

TheNailman

Warcock
just wondering, but what size width wheel will my wrx take in the back, could i pull a 235? what are the advantages / disadvantages of running different size/ same size tires in the rear (other than grip)?

should i keep it all uniform? front to back?

and is the magic offset # 47/48?

thnx

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I would not run different sizes on it. Subaru transmissions have a transfer case, AT with a clutch pack, MT have a viscous center diff, that get smoked when different tires, even the same size but different models, are run. Not worth the risk. Your center diff has a list of $499.

According to Subaru, tires of the same size, make and model are allowed 1/16" of tread depth variance.

RedForester08

Mathematically (see below) it is possible IF the tire manufacturers are true to there numbers. I know Hankook is not as some run wide. My 205/55zr16 are as wide if not wider when measured with a ruler off the car and mounted on the rims as my 225/45-17 Falkens. the Falkens where true to thier size 7.9" tread wdth and the Hankooks on paper said 6.5" Tread width. I'm glad as it was in my favor.

tiresize.jpg

Evan

is your wrx a wagon or sedan?

you can put a 245 on a sedan, and 255 if you roll fender without much trouble, but wagons are different.

just remember that tire height changes with width. the 'series' of the tire is a percentage of the width. hence a 225/50/16 tire is 10mm taller than a 205/50/16, even though they're both 50 series.

Latest posts

Back