winter rims (salt and sand) question

tsutton838

Hi,

I wanted to buy some nice rims (either black or black with machined accents) for my 05 forester, and I had a few questions about what would be a durable tire to deal with Maine driving conditions (pot holes, off roads, snow?). 

The rep at Town Fair Tire claimed the Motegi mr 107 would hold up to pot holes and even throughout the winter. The throughout the winter part was a red flag for me. I am wondering how well rims hold up to the salt and sand? I assumed I would just use the stock rims for winter and aftermarket for after winter.

Is this salesman just selling me things or are there some durable rims that will hold up to the salt and sand? If so, what models have you had success with? 

Thanks for your time! 

-Tony

20150912_1623233.jpg

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Honestly I use steel wheels in the winter. You hit a pothole hard, it will bend rather than break, and therfore easier to fix. Aluminum wheels can crack if you don't have a whole lot of rubber to cushion it.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Steel or oem alloy as a rule for winter. Although I've run just about every kind out there without issue. With a forester, you're going to have a decent amount of sidewall on the tire, so you really shouldn't have any issues no matter what you run.

Visonik

I third the steel or OEM route. In my case, the OEM is smaller (16") and allows me to have thicker tires. I use Motegi 17x8's for summer right now. but they're for sale... *hint hint*

tsutton838

I third the steel or OEM route. In my case, the OEM is smaller (16") and allows me to have thicker tires. I use Motegi 17x8's for summer right now. but they're for sale... *hint hint*
That's what I assumed was the case, but I dont' know anything so if there was a chance I could have my wheels looking nice all winter, I wanted to certainly explore that! I didn't actually care for driving much (let alone buying extras for a vehicle) until I bought a Subaru. Now I am already planning on saving up to get an XT one of these days. 

Send me a picture of those rims if you want.

Latest posts

Back