Winter Tires - Do You Run Them?

scubiecraig

Hi guys,

This is kind of a two part question. I know Subaru's are made to run well in the snow, whether or not they have snow tires. I am planning on running my all seasons through this winter, because my primary focus is getting snow tires on my wife's 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid. I'm very worried about her car being underpowered for hills/descents, and having it remain safely on the road. Not to mention, we live out in the sticks, and she works second shift and I would feel safer knowing she'll be in control and able to get in and out of our road at midnight when she comes home.

So that is part one of the question. Part two of my question would be where do you guys buy them, and where do you have them installed? I am planning on running these tires on her stock Honda rims, so I'm looking to just do a swapover. If I were smart enough, I would have already had these sitting in my basement on steelies, but I just can't afford that this year.

Any input would be appreciated. And FYI, I am looking at the Firestone Winterforce Tires from Tirerack currently.

Also, to stud, or not to stud?

Gretsch308

Just put steelies and snows on my 2011 Accord. Town fair tire. They swap them for free and have the best price IMO. We had snows on her 2001 accord and it drove like a tank in the snow. Have not tested out the 2011 yet. I have heard studded is great in ice but not so much in wet stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gate4jg

If you have a driveway that you don't want chewed up go no stud. But I confirm studs are not very helpful in slush and that's mostly what your going to deal with in throughout the winter.

scubiecraig

If you have a drive way that you don't want chewed up go no stud. Personally I don't even bother with snow tires anymore.
Well my driveway isn't paved yet. We just built our house last season, but we didn't have money to pave the driveway right off. So, studs don't really matter to us in that aspect... but you do bring up a good point. Once the driveway IS paved, I do not want it chewed up!

HR radness

His royal radness
Get some non-studded snows. I had an earlier model Civic (a 02 I think) and it didnt handle well in the snow since it was so light, esp in the rear. It had studded snows and I think that didn't help. Get a set of Nordmans or Hakkas, they are fantastic. I got mine off a forum memeber when they were brand new and paid $200 for the set. He sold his car and couldn't run 16's anymore.

What size wheels are they? Gabe has a bunch of snow tires for sale on here

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Hi guys,

This is kind of a two part question. I know Subaru's are made to run well in the snow, whether or not they have snow tires. I am planning on running my all seasons through this winter, because my primary focus is getting snow tires on my wife's 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid. I'm very worried about her car being underpowered for hills/descents, and having it remain safely on the road. Not to mention, we live out in the sticks, and she works second shift and I would feel safer knowing she'll be in control and able to get in and out of our road at midnight when she comes home.

So that is part one of the question. Part two of my question would be where do you guys buy them, and where do you have them installed? I am planning on running these tires on her stock Honda rims, so I'm looking to just do a swapover. If I were smart enough, I would have already had these sitting in my basement on steelies, but I just can't afford that this year.

Any input would be appreciated. And FYI, I am looking at the Firestone Winterforce Tires from Tirerack currently.

Also, to stud, or not to stud?

AWD doesn't help you stop. Get snows, studs not needed. My father had the winter force tires, they were fine. They are cheap, and I believe that team O uses them. O the civic just get some snows on it. The better the snowtire, the better the winter experience.

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
If you read your Subaru manual it states they recommend winter tires for climates with snow and ice. A tire I recommend is the General Artic Altimax ( not studded ) They will run you a little more than the Firestones but have a better rating for wear and quiteness etc. Check out TireBuyer.Com. I saved $20.00 over what I would have paid to be delivered by TireRack.

Jamey

If you read your Subaru manual it states they recommend winter tires for climates with snow and ice. A tire I recommend is the General Artic Altimax ( not studded ) They will run you a little more than the Firestones but have a better rating for wear and quiteness etc. Check out TireBuyer.Com. I saved $20.00 over what I would have paid to be delivered by TireRack

Great tire I myself like wf I'll get u a price for both

jaKe

>>><<<>>><<<
Yes to snows, sometimes I run them all year (don't get studded its overkill on awd anyway) or run grabbers (but they don't like ice (hard compound).

inski

Do NOT get firestone winterforce. The sidewalls are soft and squishy. they work well in snow but they are alarmingly rolly-polly when turning in any condition.

I recommend the the Generals, Arctic Claws for cheapie snows.

Hakkapalitas or Blizzaks for more expensive snows.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Do NOT get firestone winterforce. The sidewalls are soft and squishy. they work well in snow but they are alarmingly rolly-polly when turning in any condition.

Huh, I didn't have that experience with the winterforce at all. And I ran ones that had a taller side wall than my summer tires, and they were awesome. And didn't have any issue with cornering.

Winter tires on a Subaru are awesome!

Generals work awesome. I put 3 years on a set and I honestly wasn't nice to them all the time. They were studded but I'm going unstudded this time. Studs make the car extremely loud doing 55 on rt 1.

i-wagon

This. I ran winterforces the same season as inski. Effing scary to turn with, but it'd go like a friggin buldozer in snow up to the bumper. I'm currently on yokohama geolander a/t's. Just as good in snow, handle and ride better and I got .75 inch lift by putting them on

Latest posts

Back