Winter Tires - Do You Run Them?

brighton

Rally Fluffer
Winterforce tires work great in the snow, I had them for three winters. But it was like drive with jello filled tires. If you drive like a old lady with a lot of cats, they will work for you fine.

scubiecraig

Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys! I was looking at the general altimax but I read some bad reviews about them on tirerack, so I was looking for something else... but maybe I should be revisiting them for my wife's car. I appreciate all the responses!

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
Sno tyres are a must, unless one plans on not driving in the snow. AWD is a lot like no wheel drive when you're spinning all four. I used to run all-seasons aka no seasons on my impreza l when I was more of an idiot then I am now. I'm putting some studded snows on the legacy when I get a chance, I can't remember what brand they are.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
I had general altimax for my zx2 when I had it. Great tread pattern for wet situations and blocky enough for snow. Didn't wear very fast either. I have some used studless blizzaks for my STi right now.

skipow

I have blizzaks on mostly year round, love em to death. I found some used nokian hakkapelittas though, so I think im switching.

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
I wanted to add, Nokian Hak's are an awesome winter tire. I ran them when I had my Quattro, and I actually believed I was in Group B.

jbskidude

Have always liked winterforces. used to also use them for rally x in the dirt and grass. I have them now for day to day winter use and Hakka 5's studded for racing. hakka's always top notch but you will pay for them also.

Impreza05

Got my Arctic Claws put on the other day. Still waiting for snow but did drive the Fozzy up the mtn to camp to tag my G/F's xmas tree. No slip in the mud anytime.

Thanks Inski!

fattie

fat kid
Do NOT get firestone winterforce. The sidewalls are soft and squishy. they work well in snow but they are alarmingly rolly-polly when turning in any condition.

I recommend the the Generals, Arctic Claws for cheapie snows.

Hakkapalitas or Blizzaks for more expensive snows.

I have studded firestone winterforce on my focus. I already dont like them.

Matt

Snows are suppose to be a little soft. Studded tires are less than optimal on anything other than ice. I happen to like my firestones.

Ray

The Northernah'
I have nothing bad to say about my 215-60-16 firestone winterforces. Ran them for about 3 months now and they behave well on pavement, haven't had snow yet though
default_frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

SurlyOBS

I've run Nokian hakkapelittas on my two Subarus and my wife's Honda CRV. They work great every time without studs.

scubiecraig

Ended up picking up some 205/60/15 Blizzak's for my wife's car today. Craigslist for $250... not even used for 1 full winter season! Mounting them tomorrow. I am going to try and make it through this winter with my stock all-seasons. We'll see how that goes. If it's bad, I'll plan for snows next winter, but I'm feeling confident it will be just fine.

Latest posts

Back