Would your change your own timing belt??

soposube

I just got a coupon for one of the local Sube places to get a timing belt changed for $260.

What is the skill/risk level of changing the T belt on my own?

is $260 a good deal?

akinaspeedstar

evilaspie and i did his a few weeks back. if your a mechanical person it wasn't too bad at all.

you do have to remove the radiator if i remember right

R

rallyXcramps

Just get a belt and I'll help you. No need to blow that kind of cash before x-mas. No need to remove radiator, but getting the fans out of the way is good. Squirt your accessory belt adjusters with PB and we'll hook up one of these weekends and bust it out in about 2 hours.

We'll need a

10mm socket

12mm socket

14mm socket

17mm socket

22mm socket, the crank is 22mm on 2.5s, I believe its the same on 2.2s, maybe its 21mm, I'm almost 71% sure its 22mm. ;D

3/8 drive ratchet

3/8 extentions, a 1" +/or 3" will do.

3/8 drive breaker bar

1/2 drive breaker bar, and maybe a pipe

R

rallyXcramps

You'll do all the work, and I'll just point, so you'll know how to do it. 8)

That way if anything gets stove up its your fault. ;D

Evan

did you overtighten that belt? it could have been that even if it was loose, if theres slippage then it could burn off some of the belt.

i put a timing belt on my legacy gt (DOHC) motor yesterday afternoon. if you search around nabisco you'll find 'the end wrench' article that gives you a step by step on how to do it. that's what i followed, although it tells you to get all sorts of special tools none of which you actually need. the two pulleys on the right side will have their valves fully extended, so that tension will hold the pulleys in place so long as you dont move them either way. the pulleys on the left will be in their slack area, so they'll move easy. line up the markings on the pulleys with the ones on the timing belt cover, then line up the lines on the timing belt with the markings on the pulleys. remember the dotted line on the belt is for the crank gear. inski will explain anything you dont get. its fairly easy really, if you can do your own up and down pipe you can do the t-belt.

-evan

soposube

did you overtighten that belt? it could have been that even if it was loose, if theres slippage then it could burn off some of the belt.
No I haven't messed around with my serp. belt, its just starting to make a bunch of noise recently.

TheNailman

Warcock
and that's why you got my business shorty. Ruthless Guerilla Competition undercutting. Like karatechops to the face

+1

Latest posts

Back