Votes: 0 0.0%
  • slotted/drilled rotors real good pads

• big brake kit?

• Total voters

TheNailman

Warcock
05 WRX, putting some go-fast goodies on it.

so the question is, my rotors are gettin a little thin, should i go with some replacement rotors with better pads, or go big?

opinions?

akinaspeedstar

go big!!! then give me your wrx brackets..... :
default_biggrin.png

seph

Redstuff are on my list when I need to replace mine....and I would have checked off slotted rotors but you put drilled on there...I don't like drilled...can be bad news

TheNailman

Warcock
yes redstuff's sound VERY nice, however every site i see them, they specify, that you need to warm them up

sooooo... i dont think that's too practical for my drives on 93, if i need to stop NOW.

so, lets compromise, take it a step down from kevlar redstuffs, and a step or 2 up from those dusty dusty greenstuffs.

what would you get?

(oh btw, i bought some drilled brembo's
default_biggrin.png
)

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
yellows are the ones that need the warmup. Reds and greens will be fine for your highway adventures.

the old Redstuffs (5 years ago) needed a warm up before they bit ~1/2 second or so.

Rightseat

big brakes are a PITA, you have to run stupid big wheels and 15" gravels or winter tires are NOT an option withuot pricey rally-specific wheels that will clear. Cassidy's rally car runs STI 4-pots in front, and all the wheels must be fitted specifically, they are at least $200 each, and we need a sheetload of them.

I have run stock RS brakes/rotors with Carbotech Bobcat pads and Motul RBF600 fluid on the rally car for 3 seasons (gravel, snow, tarmac) and NEVER had brake fade, even when the front rotors are cherry-red from LFBing like an effin idiot. When I ran the WRX wagon (box stock brakes n fluid) as course opening for tarmac Rally NY, the brakes went away 99% and smoked so bad I thought the car was on fire. So you see that simple brake upgrades can make a huge difference.

stick with stock size stuff, upgrade the pads and brake fluid, your mod $$ is better spent on suspension/tires and driver training. Most ppl's "big brake" setups actually gain them little but bragging rights.

Rightseat

SS lines offer noticeably harder pedal under heavy braking, more manageable modulation

they are not a panacea, tho. they are designed to go on cars that get regular inspection, and aren't good to bolt on and forget like rubber lines.

if you do do SS, make sure to cover them in that plastic spiral electical wrap -- protects em from flying stones that tend to fray wire braid after a while.

Latest posts

Back