Next Car Poll - RWD Edition

What car?

• Total voters

Nate

Founding Father
Hard to find, but I would love an clean turbo'd Volvo 242. Slam it to the ground tucking wheel.

theimbalance

while i respect and appreciate the other choices (as well as what others have said about them), being a 240 owner I'm going to vote for it.

I was in the same spot before I bought my first s13 a couple years back. I realized the S chassis (in all its riced-out-fanboy glory) is an incredibly versatile platform with many options that is both super fun to drive and pretty affordable to get in, modify, and maintain. If you stay away from garbage ebay turbo kits and pep boys accessories, I think you'll be fine. Whatever you end up doing will be fun, as long as you can keep it running and on the road.

patsti

NitrousFed
mark if you dont know how to work on things get an e30 or a 240... if you do get an fc... but learn how to swap motors and trans fast! It is simple to say do this do that... a 944 turbo would be nice... a non turbo a waste of time. If you want to do a swap take a look at ruckus racing motor mounts, mckinny motorsports, zerolift, hinson supercars, and ebay... a lot of motor mount companies began off ebay and they are just as good as the name brand ones. you could do a 2jz 240sx (s13) for under 7k if you did a non vvti swap, r154 trans 5spd, mckinny swap kit and the car plus some goodies. jdmenginedepot.com

Nate

Founding Father
Just do a 2jz swap.... with Nas!

attachment.php

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
E36 is the fastest for the money, just find a good one and LEAVE IT ALONE. unless you want to fark up a perfectly fun little RWD scoot buggy.

plus is will actually start and run every day, unlike most of the other cars on your list!

Mark

E36 is the fastest for the money, just find a good one and LEAVE IT ALONE. unless you want to fark up a perfectly fun little RWD scoot buggy.
plus is will actually start and run every day, unlike most of the other cars on your list!
have to admit, not what i expected out of you nige. though i'm not sure what you might have suggested, the beamer wouldn't have been what i guessed.

the point of owning this car would be to specifically NOT leave it alone however. the bimmer would have the advantage of probably having the least work to be done initially to bring it back to norm.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
well actually I'd pick the 944 as my choice = most car for the $. 951s (944 Turbos) are usu overpriced, or else they need a ton of work (and so are overpriced). ppl slam the NA 944s for being 'girl cars' or 'slow" but I say it's obvious them ppl are clueless or have never driven one on the track...amazing how fast they'll go with "just 170 hp." a 944 is all about agility and maintaining momentum, they FORCe you to be smooth and clean in your driving.

however, a 944 with mechanical or electrical or body woes is a demanding mistress. be prepared to Apply Large Amounts of $$$.

a Break My Wallet would be fun, but lots of ppl cop the attitude of 'you just a yuppie dum dum driving one a them thangs" Of course thems ppls is just jealous of somebody driving a really nice modestly priced 10 yr old sedan that's actually fun to drive.

Meyagi

I'm a hack
Hard to find, but I would love an clean turbo'd Volvo 242. Slam it to the ground tucking wheel.
i had a 1982 silver 242T. it was a fun car... when the motor wore out from a year of 21psi i put a 5.0 efi into it. looking back i wish i had swapped a 1 or 2 JZGTE in.....

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Now I know this car isn't a daily, but I was curious what you want to do most with this possible new car?

Summer car for hooning about. Project for tinkering. Car on jack stands more than the tires. Dyno # queen. Autocross. Trackday car. Dragstrip.

How much time you want to spend driving vs how much time you want to spend wrenching may impact recommendations.

Mark

The first two. part time project that will drive when i want it to. i'm far from advanced mechanically. i can do basics but will not be undertaking any major body work or engine swapping.

i guess i'm wondering what types of work might turn my attitude towards a 944 negative. someone mentioned a timing belt being needed every 30k and costing a grand. that kind of thing scares me. any other examples?

Mark

and nigel. the 2.5 rated around 170 would be plenty for what i'd be using it for. i wouldn't be hitting the dragstrip and i don't street race so i don't really have any one to impress. auto-x would be hella fun but it's not like i'm going for glory there.

down the road if/when the engine or tranny fail i would look into CSB options including the ls1.

Mark

one car no one has talked about is the mr2, which i failed to remember when making the poll. any takers?

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
If you can find a turbo mr for a reasonable price but they are not easy cars to drive as fun as they are.

L-town

Timing belts on 944 aren't bad if u do them. The reason I said a grand is because a Porsche dealership will charge that also includes water pump... great info forum renlist.com

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
main 944 must-do job is the timing belt/water pump, the rule of thumb is that when you buy a used 944 and the PO can't show you it's been done in the last few thousand, you just automatically do both.

another well known 944 woe is when there's mixing between oil and coolant = head gasket time.

neither of these are huge jobs, a moderately skilled tech could handle em fine.

Mark

outside of evergreen i'd never touch a dealer for repairs anyhow. when it's head gasket time it's probably new engine time. unless that happened within like a year of buying the car

Nate

Founding Father
i had a 1982 silver 242T. it was a fun car... when the motor wore out from a year of 21psi i put a 5.0 efi into it. looking back i wish i had swapped a 1 or 2 JZGTE in.....
What would be a budget to building a 240t/242t rat rod?

Nate

Founding Father
I mean what would it cost to get and build a standard transmission, boosted 240.

I have a feeling this guys got tons of money rolled into a boosted motor... but this car looks like tire smoking fun. Loud, low, nothing fancy looking, but clean.

Latest posts

Back