• Total voters

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
How about a Mitsubishi Starion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Starion

Like you needed more choices
default_smile.png

Apollyon12

I think it all comes down to this: do you want to drive it and work on it every now and then when you want to upgrade something, or do you want to ALWAYS have something breaking and needing repairs?

Then RX-7 or any Porsche will need constant maint. and cost a bundle when something does go wrong. Wankle = VooDoo. The 240sx i can't really comment about, they have become a little fan-boy-ish, but parts are very readily available, they can be set up to do a lot of different stuff (AutoCross or Drift, but not both) and I have friends who would buy another one in a second if they could afford a third car.

For the choices you ahve listed, I would go BMW all the way. If you want to modify it, all you have to do is ask and there will be people coming out of the woodwork with good set-up suggestions. Those cars have been dominant for so long there is no black arts as far a tuning and modifying. Everything has been done, people know what works and what to fix. it should be very easy for you to find an unmolested one for a workhorse garage queen.

I think you picked a good list, and most of the other stuff that has been suggested I would stay away from. For example, 300xz = 80's electronics nightmare, trust me I know. Starions, Merkurs, Supra's are all to old to really have the aftermarket parts available that you want, compaired to the BMW's which are readily available. The only other one is the Miata, and you already said that wasn't on the table (believe me i understand, they make the most sense for a lot of applications but they don't do a thing for me personally, I didn't buy one for a reason). S2000's or BMW Z3's are really too expensive and vintage cars like Triumphs or MG's are probably not what you are looking for anyways. On the other hand, I have a little over $2000 into my 240z and if I had the other $3000 it wouldn't need to sit on blocks for a little while and it could be a killer car when done. But then again I am looking to do a signifigantly larger amount of work than you seem to be interested in. My project is meant to be a project, drivable but still a project. But then again I get more enjoyment out of working on something than the use of it. Buying someone elses finished project is MUCH cheaper in the long run, which is what I would recomend you do, but I wasn't looking for a car to put on the track right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark

A synopsis of what i've learned so far that i will base my decision on.

240sx: I've liked them for awhile. Everything that I knew about them has been reinforced. They are fun, small, agile, easy to find parts for, easy to work on, easy to find. the cons are superficial. yes, they are a bit fanboish. that's not really a fault of the car, if anything "it is what it is" i.e they are popular for a reason, see above. i'd like to someday do an sr20det swap, it would just be a matter of finding the right source for the right price, and then subsequently having the money to pay MA for their fine knowledge of nissans. Of all the cars listed, the 240 is the most likely because of the cost, and the selection.

Porsche 944: The idea I can't shake. As a company, I love porsche. they make drivers' cars. period. the 944 would be a lot of fun and not quite as dime a dozen as the 240. this of course comes with negatives. parts are fewer and more expensive. maintenance o'plenty. it's also tough to shake the label of being the poor man's porsche. i'll never own a boxster because of this, so it's hard to think of picking up somewhat of a predecessor of it. if the right one comes along at the right time, it would still be hard to say no.

Maza rx-7: The most appealing idea of the rx-7 is the potential for an ls1 swap. that being said realistically i will never do an ls1 swap. the rotary is a cool, niche engine, but nothing that's horribly appealing. the turbos are a lot of fun, but horribly unreliable to the point that it's a well known joke. I can't see picking up an rx-7 when i prefer that 240 and in stock form they are so similar.

Bimmer: the e30 is an acquired taste. one which i just haven't stumbled upon yet. looks aren't everything, but you still want to be seen in your loving project and be happy with it. the e36 is very appealing. the problem with the e36 option would be finding the right one. i'd prefer a coupe and require a 5 speed. the i6 is a great engine that i could settle with.

Supra: Similar pros and cons to the rx-7. fun, quirky, incredibly appealing because of the possibility for a high powered swap. will i ever drop a 2jz in a mid 80's supra? very low percentage. again, with so many 240's out there, i can't see choosing a supra over it.

Mark

to make a list in order of likelihood:

1) 240sx

2) e36 3-series

3) porsche 944

4) mazda rx7

5) toyota supra

Mark

apolly i think you hit it on the head and you can see that reflect in my last two posts

Stein

Stein
I like your top five list. I agree that the e30 isn't the greatest looking car. I do like the e36, just not when its "slammed" or when you can't see all of the tires. I don't get the whole fad with that (Sorry Pat
default_smile.png
. Your car looks good low though)

Apollyon12

When made my comments, I was thinking first gen 300xz, RX-7, Supra's. The early 90's (Gen II's) are must different cars. Those are fairly rare and really cool. But all the 90's RX-7's that I have seen are going for crazy money, $10,000+. But the Gen II 300's are really cool and are about the right price range for you. I can't make any comments past that. I know nothing about any of them.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Mark, give up on the wannabe choices....just man up and find a good air cooled 911.

You know you want one.

Chix dig em, big time.

/ argumints!

Apollyon12

If you haven't aquired the taste for the BMW's, the 240sx is really your best bet. I know that personally I have a few little problems with my dad's E36 that make is so that I don't personally like driving it. Unfortunately, just like a Miata (for me personally) it makes an enourmous amount of sense for certian applications but doesn't do much for me. And is sounds like you are in the same boat. I personally haven't driven an E30 and I really want to. I would definitly give one a chance, especially because Chet's E30 (CMC Autocross) hands me my butt every event. That pisses me off.......

patsti

NitrousFed
I like your top five list. I agree that the e30 isn't the greatest looking car. I do like the e36, just not when its "slammed" or when you can't see all of the tires. I don't get the whole fad with that (Sorry Pat
default_biggrin.png
. Your car looks good low though)
Slammed and stretched is the only way... For me atleast... I like my cars like I like my girls.

HOW MUCH DO YOU HAVE TO SPEND ON THE CAR? AND WHEN WILL YOU, IF YOU DO MOD THE CAR. This is the most important thing.

Have you ever thought of a sc300 or a sc400??? Most of them are auto BUT the swap to 5spd is under 1k. the 2jz non turbo isn't a bad motor and the 1uzfe is pretty sick too. These cars are much nicer then a 240sx and an e36 and Cost about the same.

When you say 240sx do you mean s13 or s14? A stock s13 SUCKS!

You will need coilovers, wheels, suspension arms, and atleast a ka24de (still dead slow) before you will even want to touch the car.

AN S13 BLACK TOP (DO NOT GET A RED TOP Water ports in head fail, reversing water flow at times wise words from when I met Taka Aono when I met him) SR20det swap is about... $1700 Shipped (they did Ben's for 1600 shipped) http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/

To install you will need to know how to wire about 8 or 10 wires I think.

A walbro 255 $90

and an exhaust system although you could reuse the stocker. $150-1000.

Intercooler setup- $100-500

Aside from that just random things to install like bolts, motormounts if the stocks are bad, wire ties, etc (about $100-$300)

So this swap is going to run you about $2200-4lk depending on who you have help you and what you do... Like I said my friend Ben has done a few and would help you out on it (it really is a simple swap). You should take a ride in his drift car to see if it is something you even want to start with.

My e36 was slow, I chipped it and it was still slow. It was one of the best handling cars I have ever been in tho... mine was seam welded and braced in all of the weak points. THERE ARE a lot OF e36 issues that you dont know about. READ!

The issues with an e36 might be too much for you as a nice one with no issues is going to cost more then an s13 with a sr20 swap already done.

For the money the FASTEST would be to build a 240sx with an sr20det... swap is simple (I have sat thru 4 of them). It takes a few hours to do.

The most important thing is for you to find a few... test drive them. Find stock ones and then ones that have what you would want. Only real way to tell what you want. We can tell you oh get this and that but in the end it is up to you!

Apollyon12

Don't forget about rust in the 240's. I don't know about the specific spots, but it can scrap a car with very little rust in evidence.

Mark

from what i've seen the fenders and wheel wells are the problem spots. but checking for rust on cherokees has made me an expert

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
from what i've seen the fenders and wheel wells are the problem spots. but checking for rust on cherokees has made me an expert
This is true. I drove one throughout highschool, my sister drove it, and now my parents keep it around to plow their driveway. My friend was *****ing about some rust on his car and I laughed at him.

Mark

when someone asks you the prime rust spots on a car and they respond with "floor" you know you're in for some issues

Latest posts

Back