Next Car Poll - RWD Edition

What car?

• Total voters

patsti

NitrousFed
The key rust spots on an s13 are the INNER FRONT FRAME RAILS (don't buy a shinny 240sx unless you jack it up and punch the rails), next is the Wheel wells but that is not really a big deal as you can easily patch that, the next is strut tower rust and this is easy to see, lower radiator support, if it is a hatch and has a wing they rust under the wing (wing is foam), the last is the front of the rear wheel wells were the arch starts behind the doors.

Most of these spots are simple to fix, I have some pre cut frame patches if you find one with a little hole in it... Most of them will have this problem!!! You might want to go out of state to find a nice one. If someone says it is clean chances are it is a toilet.

As for 300zx, I loved my z31 turbo and want another one. Never had a problem... electronics are an issue BUT it is just age and simple fixes. Mine had the common lights not working (so I had the lights rewired and grounded took 20mins and fixed it). The next issue is the dash lights for 02 sensor... that's a plug under the steering wheel that you unplug at 90k miles (says right on it).

Next is digital dash and fuel sender not reading right... its the power supply and can be fixed by checking the plug or at worst re soddering.If you are looking at a 300zx check this out... If M+A dont like it so what... its your car!

http://www.redz31.net/

This is why M+A doesn't like them...

FILE0019.jpg

The VG30et is SUPER STRONG! Oh and its almost the same (piston dish) as the vg30e motor (meaning non turbo can swap turbo parts to make MORE POWER THEN TURBO MOTOR)

this is one of the best and most under rated engine out there!

STINATE got to ride in mine... ask him what he thought of it. Oh and when I got hit by a bus going 40+mph it totalled it but only because of age and how rare my body style was (I had AE widebody with AE turbo flares and lip). I did hurt my neck and tweek my back a lil but if I was in my g35 it would have blown into dust (fiberglass radiator support and upper aprons).

As for z32 300zx they are good and all but the tt motors are like glass that's the VG30dett (i hate these engines)

Last edited by a moderator:

Meyagi

I'm a hack
Pat is 100% correct on the 240sx rust. if you look at one look it over with a fine tooth comb. The sr20det swap is pretty easy, ive done a handfull of them. Pat, i was referring the the Z32, those cars esp. the turbo suck big time to work on, and the vg30dett isn't the best engine.

There are plenty of aftermarket parts avail. for the MKIII Supra. if you can find a turbo model, and exhaust, intake and boost controller will wake it up for cheap money.

Mark

what's the strongest normally NA engine of the cars we've listed that could be turbo'd? ka24de?

patsti

NitrousFed
Pat is 100% correct on the 240sx rust. if you look at one look it over with a fine tooth comb. The sr20det swap is pretty easy, ive done a handfull of them. Pat, i was referring the the Z32, those cars esp. the turbo suck big time to work on, and the vg30dett isn't the best engine.There are plenty of aftermarket parts avail. for the MKIII Supra. if you can find a turbo model, and exhaust, intake and boost controller will wake it up for cheap money.
Totally agree with you on the z32... I would take one... but with an RB not the stock motor.

I haven't heard much as far as good or bad about the na VG30de but if its like the twin turbo motor it sucks.

MkIII supras are fun little cars... The one down fall is that the 7mgte has head issues, mainly headgaskeys and warping. If you grab one buy a Good headgasket, some headstuds then mod it.

The 7mgte is a great engine just the stock headgasket is junk. If you put some time and money into it you could have a very fast car.

as for strongest NA motor???

IMOP, (strongest- weakest NA MOTOR TO TURBO ) For cars in sub 8k price range NON Domestic-

from what I have seen in this order these can hold the most power when turbo is added-

S50/s52 (bmw m3 US) aprox 500+whp, 1uz-fe (v8 sc400/gs400) would supercharge or ITB, 2jz-ge (NA sc300/gs300) seem to have hg issues def not as strong as the 2JZ-GTE counterpart, VG30e (et) (from z31)400-500whp, M50tu-b25 (bmw 325i/is E36)400+whp, M20b27 /m20-b25 head (e30 eta with I head turbo swap only)400+whp, m20-b25 (bmw 325i/is)400+whp, m20 super eta (e30)400+whp, Stock m20-b27(e30) 300+whp mine held 15psi before I did the I head swap(18psi)... biggest issues are the head low rpms and weak valves, Ka24de 250-400whp (these are strong but sometimes go boom... I have seen a ton make it and a ton fail).

then weaker and wouldnt add turbo to-

vg30de (z32) Just dont know anything about them, 7mge(cressida/supra) hg issues.

This is just a list of motors I like that are NA and if I had I would turbo or supercharge... I tried to list as to what I like and feel is the Safest to boost/most power(from cars I have seen an read about)

One to know about the z31 300zx is that it came stock (in Japan) with a RB20det... so its pretty easy to swap an RB series motor in.

Mark

what rb would you end up swapping to a 300 thought? only an rb30xxx would make sense right?

patsti

NitrousFed
well... you are talking about the rb30 from a nissan patrol suv...

Depending on money I would do an rb20det (not really liked by people and hard to find parts for ) but $1000-1500 to swap in but if you had a vg30 in good condition its a better motor and will have more trq only if the... Again I would only do this if vg30 was broken and to get the Jdm setup.

If I had 2500 -3k to spare I would do an rb25det.

RB26dett is just too much money... would rather fab a 1jz swap in.

The Vg30et in the 300zx turbo (z31) is about 180-200ish whp (at stock psi-5-7psi)... with some LIGHT MODs (tbe,mbc set at 13psi,INTERCOOLER, BOV, Pathfinder intake manifold) expect up to 280whp with the t3 turbo of the Earlier 300zx (the later late 87 up I think) had a smaller turbo.

with larger turbo you can make a realistic 350-400whp and it will live for a long time (if the motor is in good shape).

Mark

nevermind, i was missing the fact that the rb20 was still a straight 6. i was thinking 2.0 4 cyl for some reason.

so are you saying a backtrack vg30et swap into a z32 would make sense? or are you just still lobbying for a z31?

Mark

i mean if i jump into a 300whp rwd coupe like the 300 i'd be very interested. i'd probably kill myself as well but that's a different story

patsti

NitrousFed
nevermind, i was missing the fact that the rb20 was still a straight 6. i was thinking 2.0 4 cyl for some reason.
so are you saying a backtrack vg30et swap into a z32 would make sense? or are you just still lobbying for a z31?
I love the old z's 70's and 80's... you either love them or hate them!

The dual cam twin turbo motor just has issues... Ask Mikey... I think he has worked on one A few times lol.

A rb25det swap would make swap into one of these... maybe you could find a junk motor in a z32 NA and swap that in... prob pick one up for 2-3k and then do the swap for another 3k so look for about 7-8k to have a finished 250-300whp z32 300zx... that's saying you do the work and make good choices on parts.

Another motor I forgot to post that I would like to have in a 240sx/s30/z31/z32 is a vh45de... Great motor, cheap, good power. This is the 4.5l V8 found in the Infiniti Q45 and others. Pretty cheap swap if you get creative. Close to 300whp with bolt ons and good torque for a daily driver.

I would swap a built supercharged on into my g35 if I didn't have my back problem.

[video=youtube;ksRhjw3uFqE]

Latest posts

Back