Saab 900

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
AIM: pedrosaab

I owned:

1989 900S white with euro aero package (3pc wing, spg skirts, euro plate lights)

1989 900S Blue transfered what was left of the white one there

1986 900s red(ish) swapped the auto out for manual and sold for profit

1981 900T black (stripped engine/trans and crushed rest)

1980 99 GLi Blue owned by Sandy Liversedge pulled parts and saab rally sport gearbox.

1976 99EMS (stripped)

1974 99EMS Silver, good body. awesome platform with an 8v or 16v turbo in it. (I miss this one even though I never finished it.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
evidently, Subaru is the new Saab. so many here have been there before.

I had a 78 EMS before the Turbo. What a great lil car, drove it all over the East Coast and Canada on paddling trips. Roof rails on it held up under incredible abuse. Used to unload kayaks over the hood by screeching up to a parking area and then nailing brakes, hard. Hell, the boats barely even scratched the paint. Gawd what a bunch o nummahs we wuz back then.

GClark

default_additional_rules.gif
:rules:
default_additional_rules.gif
:rules:but you know...it's kinda early to abandon Subies for rally/rallyx
Lots more up to date suby parts available vs saab, lots more know-how out there easily available, much easier to find decent starter cars. so yeh maybe a good GC ain't THAT cheap, but it's waaaay better straight out of the box than a beat up old Saab.
default_tongue.png
Hey! Didn't a certain someone(cough), buy a ford focus not to long ago? I'll be keeping my obs, and I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for a good used Subbie, but to get 250hp out of Subaru RS=$$$$, Saab, not so much.

I had a 88 C900T, Loved that car. took the apc box apart and turned the boost up, that was fun for about a month. Then i bought a borg warner turbo off a 6.5l chevy diesel pickup that had a T3 flange and bolted that on, made some bigger IC pipes, and made a 3" exhaust with a straight thru muffler....That woke it up a lot to say the least, lag untill about 3k then burnouts 1-2-3 gears lol Got it up to about 15psi before the clutch started to slip, then dialed it back to 14psi and ran it.... It sounded incredibly nasty, and would walk wrx's and beat STi's on the highway from a roll hahahaI truely miss it, it was an awesome sleeper, but the rust killed it
default_frown.gif
Is there a turbo car you haven't owned?
default_additional_sillylol.gif
If I get a Saab, I'll be coming to you when it's time to for some more powah. Your knowledge of anything turboed is amazing. :bows: I'm looking forward to modding this thing.

I say get the Saab. We need a little variety at rallyx events.
Exactly! Almost every car out there is a Subaru, a little 2wd Saab action never hurt anything.

my friend has 2 of these for sale, one with a rusted subframe but excellent engine (1990) and another with a mint body and a blown engine(1986), both for 700!!
pm'd!

The blaab 900...
I worked at a quik lube when I was 19-20... they were new and racking up miles back then in early 90s...one of my favorite machines was the saab. (the 1980s subaru is by far the champ)

anyhow...

It was also one to rack up some miles sincerely as a bigger car... no mini mobile thrashing on the highway, they did something just right...acted much like the subes of course, the engine mountings were similar.

had a few regulars. I'd rally one...for an inline, they did conquer some really stupid things still happening today to the fairy evo types.. such as leaning the engine to spill the crud, non transverse ...boosted lasts longer this way.

via the internet, I did spot some that went all out with the turbo hack jobs.. they do indeed get quite powerful.As oem, they could just stay boosted seemingly forever...and that key ignition... it did stump me.
default_additional_sillylol.gif
Hey, thanks for the insight.
default_smile.png

I'm so happy to many ms members have had 900s! It's going to make things so much easier when something goes wrong with the car. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

jsidik

I've got a 92 saab 900 (first car,) an 86 2.0 turbo, and a 1990 four door without a motor or transmission. I'm planning on turning them into one car after I'm finished with my subaru project. Anyway, as you can imagine I have a lot of spare parts, and one possibility for a good chassis, that will all probably get scrapped, so if you do end up buying one, feel free to come look for parts before you pay big money at the dealer.

GClark

Hey guys!

Test drove my first 1990 Saab 900t today, and all I can say is wow and why didn't I get a car like this before?! She pulled real hard, constant boost, all the gears worked except for 5th gear, but who needs that anways...

Good:

Turbo pulls hard, sounds so sexy spoolin up

Headliner, door cards are brand new.

Maintance Records are there but not complete

New exhaust

Radio works

Window works

back seats are in really good condition

Tires are good, rims are okay

It has a sticker till Octover

Bad:

5th gear pops out when you let off the gas

Rust on the front right fender (not bad)

Under the door(has been bondoed)

and on the left read fender on the part where the passanger side door would be if it wasn't a two door.(Again bondo and it was cracking.)

Leather seats need to be reupholstered.

I would probably replace the suspenion too, but that's not bad at all right now.

Other then that, it's black, needs a good wax, the only rust is in the places I said before, and is a blast to drive!

So for $1400, do you guys think this a good deal? I want to talk them down to 1,000 because of the tranny and rust, but I'm not sure how far I would get since it's at a Saab dealership.

Also, when I stepped on the brakes, they felt like my old CJ's. Maybe they were a bit worn, but they did not feel responsive at all. Is this normal?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! I love this car, but $1400 seems a little steep...

saabman

A Saab 900 with an LH 2.2 or LH 2.4 can be chipped. On my 90 SPG, I had a big IC, modded APC, big injectors, and a reworked ECU (via socketted chip replacement). Could generate 25 psi of boost, and made 267 ft/lbs of torque at 3200 RPM. It was a monster down low, just the kind of grunt to get you going in the muck. Oh yeah, it did all this with over 300,000 miles on the clock (original engine, tranny, and turbo).

saabman

Yes, orginal 2.0 liter. I had a 2.5 inch exhaust in addition to the other noted items. Being black with dark window tint it was not exactly a highway sleeper but it would move when you dropped the hammer. Sadly rust has taken it off the road.

Stein

Stein
Congrats!

Mind telling us the final price? I'm always curious about these sort of things, in case I have to buy something similar eventually
default_idk.gif

GClark

$900 with subs/amp/sub box and JDM front mount that isn't installed. I was going to talk him down, but it's a damn good price for a really good condition car!

Another quick pic

4a1d0b726d99.jpg

Stein

Stein
Since you're planning to motor-sport the car, are you keeping the sound equipment for your OBS? Or just going to leave the subs at the starting line of every rally-x?
default_idk.gif

GClark

Haha I don't know what I'm doing with subs yet, might sell them, might put them in.

Yes, the wheels and fart can will be going. I'm going to put Super Aero wheels on and if all goes to plan, a MikeyM exhaust.

GClark

So I just got a call from the owner right now
default_additional_unamused.gif

His brother is really into Saabs too, and always takes it to car shows. Rob(the owner), said hey why not, it's my last night with the car, I'll take it down too. So he takes it down and wins Best Old Euro! He was so surprised/excited/thought it was funny that he had to call. I like this guy
default_smile.png
. Up at 5 tomorrow, wish me luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back