The Official MS Bike Talk Thread - motors need not apply

Jimbo

Confirming - tomorrow night at Bradbury - 5:45. I don't want to start TOO late, but I don't want to exclude anyone unnecessarily. Again - I'm a soopernoob, and the guy(s) coming with me aren't much better. No hard feelings if people want to get us pointed down a trail, then leave us in the dust.

*crosses fingers hoping that my helmet and hydro pack come today*

ShagginWagon

The Rage guys are riding the Urban loop (mixed stairs and trails) from Payson Park tomorrow at 5:30. That's likely where I'll be ;D

Jimbo

OK, seems as if those that have done Bradbury before can't come tomorrow night - this means that three noobs are going to be loose in the woods for two hours, muahahah.

Seriously, tho - could someone make a couple of reccomendations as to trails to ride that'll take roughly two hours? I'm looking at the rage maps now, so feel free to reference those.

Thanks in advance
default_biggrin.png

mikebike357

bradbury in a nutshell:

1 - depart parking lot thru trail/path along the road (there's usually a cone there so nobody parks & blocks the path)

2 - cross the road and continue down snowmobile trail

3 - ride past campground which will be on your left

4 - trail soon after crossing the road, stay left

5 - you'll be blastin' down the snowmobile path and you'll see a sign on the left "Adopt a Trail" with the trail name.

6 - enter single track there.

7 - ride till you come to a marker that has a map of the park under plexi w/ a marking "YOU ARE HERE"

8 - turn LEFT down that trail

9 - Ride that trail until it comes to a T. You're now about 30' from where you turned in step 7

10 - GO LEFT

11 - Follow that trail, cross the tall bridge or take the bypass

12 - You'll eventually come to a spot where there's a couple logs cut lengthwise, cross all of 'em and stay left

13 - ride ride ride

14 - keep going straight at all future intersections till the path you're on comes to a T

15 - Go left (surprise there...)

16 - you'll cross a plank bridge and just before you start up a technical uphill you'll see a trail on your right.

17 - turn right and go around a mega huge boulder

18 - Go straight at any intersection

19 - Switchbacks take you down a hill eventually and you'll end up 3/4 up teh technical hill in step 16

20 - Go right (now that's a first) up the hill

21 - Follow taht trail till it ends at the snowmobile trail

22 - Go left

23 - Take first right on snowmobile trail (this is the one you came in on... aka the Link Trail (it's marked))

24 - cross road

25 - back to parking lot

That's a decent ride.... The new markers with teh "YOU ARE HERE" arrows are VERY helpful.

mikebike357

They'll also give you a map when you pay up at the gate. There's a lot more trail than what the above directions will take you on, but that's a good loop that should take about 1.5 to 2hrs depending upon how many times you stop.

Jimbo

Any clue what the charge is? I've got a state park season pass that's supposed to cover everyone in my car...should I hit an ATM on the way?

ShagginWagon

The bradbury twelve course is thru the uber technical section... it's almost so technical that it's not fun.
Actually, the really REALLY technical stuff is not on the B12. Some of the Knights Woods stuff is kinda technical, but not that bad. Not as smooth as Ginn, Ragan and Lonzo, and only a bit tighter than Fox. Gary's trail and the new stuff off Lonzo aren't on the course.

I agree though- some of that is definitely unfun. Are you thinking of the enduro? That hit both sections for a full compliment of suck...

T

mikebike357

I don't think Ginn, Ragan & Lonzo are technical at all... the Knights Woods trail (the one deep in teh center of the Knights Woods section) is brutal... U Turns around trees immediatly followed by a rock pile. WTF. My shoulders are always beat after riding that section from leaning on trees negotiating corners.

ShagginWagon

I'm 5' 10" and weigh 260. I'm looking for "don't die-o" or "loose weight-o"

Ha! I hear ya!

You can make a nice shorter loop by going:

Link Trail/ Snowmobile to Fox West

Climb Fox west to Ginn (left just before the monument)

Stay on Ginn to Fox East (rolling terrain)

Up Fox east past the monument to Ginn (again)

Leave Ginn for Ragan (woohoo!)

Ragan to Lonzo

Straight on Lonzo to the Link Trail

Trail names reference the bradbury twelve map.

ShagginWagon

I don't think Ginn, Ragan & Lonzo are technical at all... the Knights Woods trail (the one deep in teh center of the Knights Woods section) is brutal... U Turns around trees immediatly followed by a rock pile. WTF. My shoulders are always beat after riding that section from leaning on trees negotiating corners.
That's the "O" trail- a genuine puddle of sucktacular riding.

Jimbo

Well - we lived. Got dark a lot earlier than we expected it to, but a great ride nontheless. We did Lanzo and the singletrack section to the left there, then to Ragan, then to Ginn, then Fox East. Rode over a couple of bridges, tried out the stoppiness of the disc brakes (avoided death and a taco by stopping six inches before a rock from about 25mpg), and donated one pair of LLBean sunglasses to the woods.

Oh, and I managed to put my first battle scar in the new hemet
default_smile.png

Thanks for the advice - my friends and I will def. go back there because our first experience was a good one.

Anyone know of a ride out by Sebago Lake State Park? Wifey and I are camping this weekend, and she's gonna try some really light stuff if we can find it.

ShagginWagon

I'll be at Reid State Park Sat at 10am if anyone feels like making the hike to GTown. 6.5Mi loop- lotta fun. Blue wagon with a white Kona on the roof.

O0

Latest posts

Back