09 STI Winter Tire Help / Rims?

JessicaScooby

Hey everybody,

So, I am in an endless debate with my husband regarding winter tires and rims.  I need HELP!  My husband says to get all season, but I know that is just wrong.  I need winter tires.  Right?  And what do you recommend?  Blizzaks are expensive but the best?  Any others I should consider?

Also, should I get rims for the winter tires, or just put them on my current rims and then wait until spring and get a new set of rims for my summer tires?  (delay a little cost there, anyway)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... it's time to bite the bullet, snow is on the ground!

Thank you!!

Jess

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
it's always a debate, but the best way to go about it is to get a set of winter tires. all seasons can get you by, but have no where near the amount of grip that any winter tire has.

If it were me, and you can afford it, find some 17inch wheels and have the winter tires mounted on those. You will spend almost the same if you were to get winter tires alone for the 18 inch wheels.

The winterforce tires are a cheaper alternative snow tire, if traction is really what you are looking for.

I think most on here would recommend a set of dedicated snow tires. Hankook iPikes are a good choice, blizzaks are good as well. I have yet to really find out how my Dunlop WinterSport 3Ds work on the BRZ. Another good tire is the General altimax arctic.

To backup what Justin said, 17" wheels for snows is a good idea. The extra half inch of sidewall can help in the snow but shouldn't cut down handling much if any at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoMeWRX

Snows! Do it, you wont regret. I heard your husband wanted to get you some nice ones for christmas...

Ditto on the 17 inch wheel too rather than wrapping those 18s. You will save money remounting every year that way too.

jojo69

I've had excellent results with Altimax and they were a lot cheaper than the others like blizzaks or Xi2/3. That being said, past the 2d season, they didn't do as good in deep snow. as when I first got them. That being said, blizzaks + steal 16 rims are a affordable and efficient combo! A more expensive would be ws70 + dedicated 17 rim (or 16)
default_smile.png

I'm currently running same setup as last year except this time with xi3 i got at the end of last year so they never saw snow yet. Can't wait to see how they perform!

keep up posted on your decision

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
I've had excellent results with Altimax and they were a lot cheaper than the others like blizzaks or Xi2/3. That being said, past the 2d season, they didn't do as good in deep snow. as when I first got them. That being said, blizzaks + steal 16 rims are a affordable and efficient combo! A more expensive would be ws70 + dedicated 17 rim (or 16)
default_smile.png
I'm currently running same setup as last year except this time with xi3 i got at the end of last year so they never saw snow yet. Can't wait to see how they perform! keep up posted on your decision Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

can't fit 16's on them big brembos

jojo69

default_smile.png
I'm currently running same setup as last year except this time with xi3 i got at the end of last year so they never saw snow yet. Can't wait to see how they perform! keep up posted on your decision Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

can't fit 16's on them big brembos
gotta suck having an sti! ;-)

i-wagon

+1 for narrower, Goodyear ultra grip winter are very good all aground and inexpensive at the wallet world

JessicaScooby

Thanks, everybody!  I'm still wrestling with the decisions here!  And I need to do something soon with all this snow out there!  This is where I am at:

Option # 1:  Blizzak WS-70 225/50/17 on the Motegi MR118 rims.   ($1500ish total). 

Option # 2:  Put Blizzaks on my current 18" rims since I don't love them, and then get rims I really love for the rest of the year since they are on the car more  (and current tires on there are done anyway). 

Thoughts??  Will 18" blizzaks not be as good in the snow as 17"?

jojo69

From my research, Nokian are supposed to be the best... but can't remember if super expensive. why not Nokian on steel? Nokian will maximize performace and the steel rim will reduce the snow cake in your wheel wells plus rims in winter get nasty/salty/muddy as soon as you go outside, so it's a constant battle to clean'em up.

18's will work in the snow, but as others pointed out, 17 or 16 will provide more clearance and more ability to cut into the snow, so better performance. No need to have surface contact as in summer tires.

From the options you mentionned, I'd go with option 2, ws70 + current setup. They are excellent tires and that leaves you time to think on a great rim down the road.

blehhh

2014 STI owner is already looking to buy these, but if that falls through, I have a set of studded General Altimax Arctic 205s on 17" steelies. Might not clear brembos without spacers, but yeah... They were on my Mazda for like 4k miles. Very healthy.

JessicaScooby

Thanks, everybody.  I'm getting my Blizzaks put on my current wheels tomorrow (Nokians sound incredible but hard to get and $$$.. maybe next time).  So now you can all help me start deciding on summer tires and rims that I'll purchase in the spring! :-D 

brycetron

Seems like you made your decision but ive been pondering this on my 2011 STI.  Snow tires are definitely the way to go and Blizzaks are king.  Ive had a set, love them.

I really dont want to buy 18" snow tires for my stock wheels.  I think its the 05-07 STI wheels are 17" and bolt right on.  They are also narrower than my '11's wheels.  Not sure about '09.  that's the route ill eventually go.  Find older used 17" STI wheels and slap blizzaks on them.  win win.

As far as summer wheels and tires.  Im gonna get some 18x9.5 or 18x10 enkie rpf1's with some 255 or 265 ventus.  Lotta debate on wether or not you need a spacer up front. Havnt done a ton of research but the threads ive found show no definitive answer.  definitely need to roll the rears which i fine.  

depends what your plans are for summer.  Just something kinda grippy that looks nice or a real aggressive sticky setup.

Latest posts

Back