Beer And Brewing (The Official, Unofficial Thread)

theimbalance

Oh man. My lady friend bought me a sweet set of good quality brew equipment and I have yet to make the porter I have the ingredients for. Hopefully this kicks my ass into gear. Nate you may be one of the first guinea pigs haha

Last edited by a moderator:
The process for wine I used only takes 2 weeks. I filtered it tonight. Letting it clarify until tomorrow. The sample I took to try seems strong. No s.g. was taken at first so I won't know what the ABV is. I might play around and do some longer brews that are a tad more technical once I finish school.

inski

I just bottled 50 amber ales. Anxiously waiting the standard maturing time. Alcohol tested low. It tasted half decent when I started the syphon. We'll see in 2 weeks. Might get some more bottles for another batch. I have a friend near by who has home brewed for years now that can help me whenever I decide to go off track from the standard recipes.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Once you get a batch in bottles, start the next.

After a while you will have a few cases in the basement ranging from 6mo-2yrs in age. the taste only gets better (unless it is bad)

inski

I had 3 today. They're ok.
default_biggrin.png

inski

IPA

stage one done. Yes, those are charred oak chips.

100_3556_zps89c2579b.jpg

stage 2 (still burping thru the air lock) I hyper-oxygenated it.  Accidently purposely  chugged some while starting the siphon.  Holy alcohol!

100_3558_zps9ba068de.jpg

Only 15 left from the first batch.  Where has the time gone? 
default_additional_cheers.gif

shouldn't this be an OT thread?

inski

Oxygenate or not?

I've read 2 different ideas.  

1). Oxygenating gives the yeast 02 so it can feed resulting in better fermentation.  People will whip their wort, add aerators, or whisk.

2). Don't oxygenate because it because the water you add has enough 02.  Too much 02 can not be used by the yeast and it will cling to the dead cells spawning wild cells and other bacterial which can infect the beer, ruining it. 

thoughts?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I don't typically take extra steps to introduce oxygen.  I seem to get enough by pitching the wort into ice water to cool, coupled with stirring to cool. 

Just put a java stout in primary Sunday afternoon.  Should be heading to secondary this weekend.

inski

Next time I'll just pitch it without oxygen induction.  Seems I've got a lot more cloudiness this time. 42 bottles from this batch which is reasonable I guess.  I lost a lot going second stage due to a large amount of grunge and yeast silt.

Java stout.  Sounds interesting.  I tasted a little of my IPA when bottling.  I've got a cross between a Porter and IPA.  The hydrometer indicates 5% by volume.  Should be a fun bunch.  Wanna trade a couple Pedro?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Sure.  I'll have to see if I still have any Black Lager left.  I think you would like that.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Found a place in Portsmouth with cases of bottles for $13.99.  Definitely stopping on my way home. 

inski

I got a case at the brew shop in Portland next to the great lost bear for $14.  The hop shop in gray isn't too bad at $15/case.  Axis Foods in Auburn is $22/case.  Yuck.  Spent big cabbage on another carboy.  For some reason my wife supports my new hobby.  I better check the medicine cabinet.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Moved the Java stout to secondary tonight, and brewed a Night Cap Cherry Stout.  so I have 10gal of beer sitting in my livingroom
default_smile.png

inski

Had an IPA tonight.  Ok, I had 3.  They came out kind of flat.  The CO2 is there, just not as fizzy as the first batch.  Def turned out tasting pretty good and the abv is there.  I really need to be patient with this batch.  They've been in bottles 8 days now and they're still on the cloudy side.  Pedro you've really got me thinkin stout for the next batch.  Maybe Irish.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
lightly flip a couple of the bottles, and move them to a warmer part of the house.  You are likely not getting enough warmth to get the remaining yeast to consume the sugar and produce CO2

Try again in a few weeks.  If that works do the same with the rest of the batch.

Last edited by a moderator:

inski

Thanks.  I've got them in the kid's bedroom at 62-65 degrees.  I think one flip will help but I'm also still wicked cloudy so I guess I need to condition a very long time with this batch.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/chocolate-covered-beavr-nutz.html

^^ thinking about this.  Maybe once without the peanut butter and once with the peanut butter powder.  Also, I'm considering a Java Stout or Cream Stout with some Hazelnut flavor added.  They have hazelnut and almond flavoring in the brewer's section at Axis All Natural Foods in Auburn.

Latest posts

Back