Brake rotor resurfacing .... Is it worth it?

-=Lobstah=-

Well, i figured out the source of the squealing noise from my front end... but as usual i was a little too late and the annoying squealing is now a VERY annoying grinding noise. Since my finances are quite limited these days, i'm looking in resurfacing the brake rotors. Is it worth it, cost/quality, etc? Any info on the any shops that do it around L/A?

R

redlinerally

The shops will best be able to tell you the cost and the estimated result. Also, they will measure the thickness to make sure you are within spec. If you are out of spec, no dice.

NAPA in Lewiston USED to do it... not sure if they still do. Others on this board may be more helpful. I've been out of state too long, I can't remember.

Tony Q

give Joel a shout. I know we can set you up with resurfacing/replacing and install. FULL SERVICE!!!!!!

He can atleast price it out for you.

ReZPunK

how much is a new one? is it worth the time in Labor? or do they charge a flat rate for doing it,

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
If it is 1/16th you aren't going to get anything out of turning the rotors. your best bet is to find some new units.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Where do you reside? This is something that the Collective STM can bang out in a few hours on a weekend with a case of beer

R

rallyXcramps

I cant speak for the guys at Evergreen but at Patriot front new pads, resurface, and bracket clean up is 230 or 240 something. New front rotors and pads and bracketry cleaned up is 400 something. You can call and ask. We try not to use Napa stuff because they squeel once the pads are broken in.

With the new Subaru pads you get new pads backings and new slider clips for the carrier braket. The clips are important. They keep your pads free when you aren't on the brakes. If your pads aren't free, move easily in the bracket, they will wear prematurely and un-evenly. Napa pads are notoriously too big, we had to grind the pads ears down to get them to fit.

To save money go ahead and get the Napa stuff and be prepared to file/grind the ears, as well as filing out the corrosion under your slider clips, and reusing the clips, just clean them well (make shiny) with brake clean and a dish washing scrubby or steel wool.

Also, some of the Subaru pad kits say in the instructions to put a tiny bit of grease on the ear contact point to prevent them from getting stuck in the bracket/carrier. I strongly suggest doing that sparingly, being sure you DO NOT GET GREASE ON YOUR PADS OR ROTORS.

-=Lobstah=-

Pedro: I'm in Lewiston. And the car is '96 Impreza Brighton. I wish it was summer time right now, so i wont have to worry about running back and forth from the house to the driveway to get warm
default_smile.png

inski: Thanks for the advice. I'm not looking to get fancy with this car, it's an everyday commuter with the possibility of being a rally car ;D My current finances will probably limit me to the cheapo stuff and "driveway" labor
default_biggrin.png

Mighty Subie

Pedro: I'm in Lewiston. And the car is '96 Impreza Brighton. I wish it was summer time right now, so i wont have to worry about running back and forth from the house to the driveway to get warm
default_biggrin.png

inski: Thanks for the advice. I'm not looking to get fancy with this car, it's an everyday commuter with the possibility of being a rally car

R

rallyXcramps

Who is going to measure these rotors and are you gonna trust that person's ability with a micrometer?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Who is going to measure these rotors and are you gonna trust that person's ability with a micrometer?
it is surprising how many people can't use a micrometer

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
You'd be better off buying cheap aftermarket rotors than you would having the old ones turned. The factory doesn't put enough metal on them to be able to turn them very much. Plus, they really should be just skimmed with an "on the car" brake lathe. Turned rotors warp easier due to the fact they are thinner than they are suppose to be.

Aftermarket rotors sometimes cause a crunching sound when stopping. Not un-safe, just annoying.

Rightseat

+1 on aftermarket rotors. your current ones are probably wrecked from letting the pads wear too low. can't believe you didn't catch that, given all the advice you got!
default_biggrin.png
brake pads have a little tang on them that rubs on the rotor to tell you pads are getting tired. It's one of the most basic routine service jobs. If you ignore the noise and just keep driving, you turn a minor job into a major one.

That "constant grinding" noise is costing you more money the longer you delay dealing with it. don't wait longer before doing this repair, you'll just have a bigger job to do. Resist the temptation to nickel and dime this job, like just replacing one rotor or one worn pad, etc. Brakes NEED to be done right, your life and the life of others on the road literally depends on it. if you can't do the work, just suck it up and pay somebody. safe brakes are kind of good to have on the car!

Latest posts

Back