773b1d1b769751d2d205a3009d9e2f47.jpg

OEM Pitch Stop VS. Agency Power Pitch Stop

b11955586d703a4c3bc755e35dc6c53f.jpg

Group-N Transmission Mount Installed

OEM Transmission Mount VS. Group-N Transmission Mount

c5fa27bb4a5de3baaf988b3784ab7a01.jpg

Cobb SF Intake w/ Box Installed

2f9fd1ee1741c4ac96e1d5f72d0ccc3b.jpg

Kartboy Short-Shifter soon to be installed!

Brian Lowell

Brian-Lowell.com
There is noticeable cabin nose, and some vibration in the steering wheel. But, other than that it's seriously awesome. Even without a short shifter you can feel more tightness through the gears. Less engine 'wobble'.

C-Rolla

Parts Pimp
I grabbed the same Pitch stop. Starter noise is so much louder haha. A lot of little creaks and such, but definitely improves transmission feel. Where'd you pick up the Tranny mount? I'm thinking of doing one when I do my clutch!

blehhh

You'll be wanting some stiffer engine mounts soon enough... The transmission mount and the pitch stop mount, (paired with rear diff inserts, subframe inserts, gearbox bushings, etc) force all of the slack and movement in the drivetrain to occur at the engine.

Drivetrain forces are transfered along the path of most resistance, (if there is no resistance, there is no force transfer), but drivetrain movement will follow the path of least resistance... which is where the rubbery OEM mounts come into play, quite literally.

And +1 to the creaking with the pitch stop mount. I tightened the daylights out of it thinking that was the culprit. I'm now fairly certain that it's the engine mounts.

My Group N motor mounts go in this weekend though, so I'll be able to test all of my above banter....

Brian Lowell

Brian-Lowell.com
I grabbed the same Pitch stop. Starter noise is so much louder haha. A lot of little creaks and such, but definitely improves transmission feel. Where'd you pick up the Tranny mount? I'm thinking of doing one when I do my clutch!
Oh my gosh, when I first started my car I thought I might have connected something back together wrong or something haha... It seriously is SOO much louder! I picked up up my transmission mount at www.DynoNH.com (they sell parts there for really good prices!)

You'll be wanting some stiffer engine mounts soon enough... The transmission mount and the pitch stop mount, (paired with rear diff inserts, subframe inserts, gearbox bushings, etc) force all of the slack and movement in the drivetrain to occur at the engine.

Drivetrain forces are transfered along the path of most resistance, (if there is no resistance, there is no force transfer), but drivetrain movement will follow the path of least resistance... which is where the rubbery OEM mounts come into play, quite literally.

And +1 to the creaking with the pitch stop mount. I tightened the daylights out of it thinking that was the culprit. I'm now fairly certain that it's the engine mounts.

My Group N motor mounts go in this weekend though, so I'll be able to test all of my above banter....
Grou-N motor mounts are next on my list, along with some other suspension additions after my sways, tie bars, and strut bar.

blehhh

Brian, figured I would give you a little update, as I've just installed my Group N motor mounts this morning.

My family's go-to mechanic in Freedom was able to do them in about 40 minutes with a lift and a floor jack. We popped off the box end of the air intake hose, pulled the bolt on the firewall end of the pitch stop, (leaving the intercooler in place), pulled the splashgaurd, cross brace, my front sway bar and the steering rack assembly. Gave us much better access to the rear, driver side bolt, which is a pain. Definitely need an open-face, preferably bent-head wrench. Once the bolts were loose, we used a 2x4 and the floor jack to lift up each side of the engine, about 2 inches, and slide the old mounts out and the new ones in without issue.

While you've got all of the above disassembled, I'd definitely suggest installing any front sway, steering rack bushings and/or mounts, and front bracing that you might have planned, as it makes the additional "install effort" literally the difference between grabbing the OEM vs the aftermarket when you put things back together.

As for driving impressions, I think the pitch stop and trans mount made a bigger difference, but the mounts did help. The clutch engagement point seems a bit crisper and more predictable. That "bounce" you feel when downshifting or upshifting, even with the trans and pitch mounts, is cut in half I'd say. If you're coasting in 2nd or 3rd between lights or in a 25mph zone, you still feel that internal mechanical slack, which sucks but... meh...

Getting on it though, ripping through the gears, it is perfect. Shifts are crisp, immediate and yet smooth. Feels and sounds a little smoother in the higher revs too.

Engine start up and shutdown are quieter and less violent as well. Even my idle is quieter and smoother. Not sure if a crank pulley is worth it, but I imagine that would be end-all be-all in such a transformation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian Lowell

Brian-Lowell.com
Finally got the STi spoiler that I have wanted installed!

Front

photo 2.JPG

Rear

photo 1.JPG

Rear 2

photo 4.JPG

Front/Side

photo 3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back