Butler & Mac Master. Car down, again ...

SUBARUDE

so whats the word ryan it better be good cause I talk to someone who works there and........

Meyagi

I'm a hack
yeah, whats going on? as much as I love this pretty black lawn ornament you have provided me with, id like to see you driving your car again
default_smile.png

Ryan

so whats the word ryan it better be good cause I talk to someone who works there and........
And?

I haven't heard anything new for the past few days. Last I was told is that they've been busy at the shop so they are still "taking things apart"
default_dry.png

I've been speaking/dealing with part owner of the shop. I don't understand why it's taking them so long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt

it shouldnt take long to disassemble the motor....unless there messing with the results......

and chad....I think we need to crush some stuff....set it up!!!

katnip

the car is black. I swear
sorry to hear that. we used to use them for stock car motors and never had any issues. hope they take care of you.

Ryan

Finally got a hold of them. They now want me to come in so we can "go over everything".

My goodness, just admit you guys screwed up.

Hoping to get there tomorrow.

Ryan

Figures. Never called back tonight to set up a time tomorrow morning to go like he said. If I didn't live so damn far or was able to work around my work schedule I would have already been there multiple times. I'm headed up to Grand Lake Stream Thursday and will be paying them a surprise visit.

From all the good stuff I've heard about this shop... I can't even get a simple phone call or update and it's been over 2 weeks since they've had it.

Ryan

So here's an update. It didn't go over well this morning, first of all. So instead of mentioning and discussing the sole cause of the engine failure, which we know was the snapped exhaust valve, they are now claiming that I had intake valves hitting the pistons. However, as you already know, my timing was fine, and my logs were all good.

Now here's the kicker. I had to ASK to see the heads and valves (weird). When we went to go see them, all 15 other valves were absolutely fine -- no bent valves what so ever, just like we thought. So at this point I ask him how the hell it can be timing if I've got NO bent valves? Something is not adding up. Now at this point he's trying to show me the pistons and how the intake valves were hitting the pistons, but seriously, if they were really making contact, there would have been MUCH more damage to the valves and pistons. I took home a piston and valve, so I'll try and get a pic up.

When I mentioned the exhaust valve snapping, he pretty much acted like he wanted nothing to do with it. He said he had no idea how it happened, and was completely avoiding it it seemed. All he wanted to do was talk about the pistons and timing.

He now wants me to bring in a stock STI piston so they can measure the gapping/pin height on it compared to the Mahle pistons I had in there... whatever this has to do with anything, I don't know.

Trying to figure out my next move. Any recommendations?

I'm sure you already know this but with larger then normal valve lash the valves will actually open a tad late and close a tad early... Not a lot. What was the condition of the other exhaust valve for that cylinder? Hope things work out for you.

Rallytech14

Im so sorry man, that sucks so much. definitely keep everything documented

As far as trying to figure out what went wrong...when I smacked that deer it threw my timing off almost 4 teeth on EACH top and bottom cam gear on the drivers side bank of the motor. I drove the car around for two weeks, car misfiring the entire time, and that included a trip to and from Boston. I pulled the idler pully off, reset the timing. car fired up with no issues.

hope that helps. also, my father has owned Nasco Automotive Machine in Saco for over 30 years, ill ask him what he thinks of butler & mac master and also the series of "trouble shooting" phone conversations you have had with them.

-Zach

Ryan

Take a look at these pictures and give me your thoughts. First thing I'm gonna say is, valve isn't bent.

DSCF2844.jpg

DSCF2843.jpg

DSCF2842.jpg

DSCF2841.jpg

It all looks fine to me, doesn't look like anything was contacting the piston. Is the end of the valve stem perfectly round? Could be the lighting in the picture messing with me.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
where are they saying contact was made? If they suggested that the valve relief was contact, they should not be in business. seriously.

Latest posts

Back