fb owners weigh in plz

i-wagon

I've read online the fb engines are drinking a good amount of oil. The brother in law ordered a crosstrek and I want to know what we'll be up against. Something I pondered was the cvt keeping the engine in the same rpm range all the time during break in. I know we have 2xv's and a newer fox. What did you guys do during break in first oil change and oil change intervals in general? Burning any at all?

I have an FA, which is very similar to the FB. They use 0w20 oil and I was told consumption is possible due to the lightweight oil. The CVT trans can be shifted. I would manually shift it at times and avoid long highway drives, back roads are more interesting anyway.

The FXT has a turbo FA in it. The BRZ is the only NA vehicle with the FA, all others got the FB including the new impreza.

Last edited by a moderator:

i-wagon

I'd read on a crosstrek forum a couple people paddle shifted all the time and did oil change at 1k 3k and then every 4ish instead of the7500 Subaru recommend and those people lost significantly less. Matt never let his auto soft itself and plans on paddle sitting the xv. He'll just have to plan on a few expensive oil changes his first few months

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
0w-20 is not oil, it's slippery water. I imagine after some uoas are done folks will find they can run a quality 0w30 or 5w30 and not burn a drop. Might lose 1 mpg or so, but doubtful. Depending on what 0w20 is used in the fb right now, it probably shears down to much less than a 20 weight after so many miles, then burns off. That might explain why 4k change intervals have helped.

Has anyone tried Amsoil OE/Signature 0w20 or Motul eco-lite 0w20? They might be more stable 20 weights at 4k+ miles. It will be interesting to see the uoas come in on the fa/t, fa, and fb.

RedForester08

I had a 2011 Fozzy. 2.5 FB engine. 35000 miles when i traded it in. NEVER used oil. Always ran the Subaru 0w-20. Even with a rally-X last winter the oil held up fine. Did a Blackstone lab analysis. Changed the oil around the 3750 mark. It stayed in weight.

so some have had the issue and Subaru has put in new engines but mine was good to go. My new XT with the FA 2.0T did the first change at 1200 miles. Using Motul 5w30 X-clean. It is recommended for Direct injection engines with certifications for VW, Mercedes and BMW DIT engines.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Have a 2014 Foz company car, 6-spd. Great driving and practical, amazingly better on gas than our long-term 03 Outback wag. However by 8 k miles, the 'add oil' light has come on twice. Ppl are paranoid about checking the oil, it's often down a Half-quart in like 400 miles. Ppl also have overfilled it. It's going back to dealer for assessment. We'll see what we shall see...more later as it develops.

apkarian100

Vendor
Haven't had issues yet on my XV. I have 4k miles on it, did my first oil change at 3000 miles. I'll keep another eye on the oil consumption, but so far so good.

On another note, my friend had a 2013 Impreza 2.0i and his oil light came on frequently.

Matt

I have a girl at work who has one and the oil is burning quite nicely. 19k miles. Doing an oil consumption test now.

Matt

Yea Sams car. Stupid new car that burns oil but needs a consumption test to replace it. Dumbbbb

Ray

The Northernah'
My girlfriends 2013 impreza with the FB hasent had any consumption issues using 0w-20, 7k miles and 2 oil changes so far.

i-wagon

I'm hoping with him running the paddle shift and oci of about 4k he'll be ok. Also heard of 2 that have popped Trannys too, but I've seen low mileage rexs do that too

apkarian100

Vendor
I have also heard of the tranny popping on a couple. Odd thing is now with the new FB engine comes new engine mounts. If you pull the tranny, the engine kinda falls over in the bay.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

i-wagon

So.....I'm looking around on the site and I look up at the AD on the top of the screen, "potential lawsuit excessive oil consumption Subaru" or something. Kind of made me laugh. Matts xv still hasn't come in yet

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Update on our company '14 Foz and its oil issues: evidently it was underfilled @ local independent shop, that's why oil light came on. Then it was overfilled by at least 2 quts. Went back to dealer for oil consumption check, no issues detected. Now about 2k miles with no change in oil level.

Crisis of confidence averted. We now officially love our new Subaru again.

RedForester08

Update on our company '14 Foz and its oil issues: evidently it was underfilled @ local independent shop, that's why oil light came on. Then it was overfilled by at least 2 quts. Went back to dealer for oil consumption check, no issues detected. Now about 2k miles with no change in oil level.

Crisis of confidence averted. We now officially love our new Subaru again.
How does a "shop" underfill the oil in any car? Just check the owners manual, add oil and THEN check the dam dipstick.
New model motor, Obvious by oil filter on top. Check for new specs. sorry for thew rant but WTF

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
One big prob with a company vehicle is that so many different peeps drive it and "care for" it. Nobody is really paying attention fully, they just bitch about giving up the car so it can get an oil change or get snow tires mounted or what ever. As for the shop badly underfilling it, that's just a theory since the person driving the car when the low oil light came on is totaly non-mechanical and tends to freak out at stuff like that. She drove for a couple hours after the light came on, then figured "it wasn't gonna fix itself" so she stopped at a old-skool gas station where they dumped in a bunch of oil and since she said "it's burning oil like crazy" they just added an extra quart for insurance I guess.

Since that episode, there has been one oil change, done right. No detectable oil consumption in about 2k miles since then.

One thing I have noticed with the FB is that it's realy hard to get consistent readings on the dipstick. Even when you let the car sit a while after shutdown so the dispstick tube can drain a bit, it'll read like it's overfilled, then check again and it's fine...or vice versa. Any user experience or feedback on this from the assembled MS multitudes?

Latest posts

Back