having the automotive blues...

Geist

I love my sti but between rising gas prices, high maintainance bills and black paint that's never clean, I'm getting the automotive blues big time.

Should I consider trading it in for a 2.5rs, which would mean lower insurance and payments so I'd have more room for mods, or hold out because its just the auto blues?

I'm getting my windows tinted next week so maybe that'll cheer me up.

Annnnnd /complaining

Impreza05

I don't know what your $$$ situation is but I would hold out as long as possible. You've built a gem so far don't let it slip away.

Redline

I somewhat agree with Adam - if you can afford your habit, then make it work. If it's something you're slowly sinking on, then bail out and cut your losses.

HR radness

His royal radness
I think it's just the black car woes. I had one once and between keeping it clean and the payments and the fact I looooved the car it drove me crazy

Now I have a beater '00 RS that came with enough dents that I don't really care what I do to it :confused2:

EvilAsPie

Now I have a beater '00 RS that came with enough dents that I don't really care what I do to it :confused2:
Hey, i've got a car like that. :eek:ccasion14:

I had the auto blues for a while when i was putting lots of work into said dented car, but couldn't get her on the road for more then a week at a time. I thought about selling it more then once, but stuck with it, and i'm more the pleased with her now.

Geist, do you have a goal or purpose for your car? If you had something to strive for it might make the gas prices and payment more worth your while. Autox/Rallyx/show; STi's are meant for competition!

Rightseat

go out and pass a line of traffic until you bounce off rev limiter in 3rd gear

if that doesn't erase your black car blues, maybe you oughta consider ....a minivan? :angel12: :wave:

my WRB wagon is wicked hard to keep looking really clean as well. I try to keep the topsides reasonably clean, and let the stone chips and road scars on the rockers speak to what a WRX is really all about.

I guess the question is, are you more concerned with how the car looks, or how it goes? if you want a show car, get used to the never-ending battle against sap, bird poop, pine pollen and road grime. If you want a GO car, well, isn't that what you already have?

Geist

go out and pass a line of traffic until you bounce off rev limiter in 3rd gear

I guess the question is, are you more concerned with how the car looks, or how it goes? if you want a show car, get used to the never-ending battle against sap, bird poop, pine pollen and road grime. If you want a GO car, well, isn't that what you already have?
I've never bounced off my rev limiter before... I always shift like 500-1000 revs before redline in an attempt at semi-longevity...

As far as looks vs. performance, I want a little of each... I'm trying to get the car to look subtle but aggressive.. (i.e. look a little meaner but not be a cop magnet)

Ummm... this is semi off-topic, but I'll just bullet off a quick "aesthetic / performance" list, so you can see what's up..

~~Aesthetics~~

Tint (next week)

Full Black Interior (headliner, dash and pillars [need to be re]done)

Black Calipers

JDM Fogs

~~Performance~~

Already Have:

Hotchkis Sways

TurboXS TBE

Cobb AP2.0 (off the shelf stage 2 91oct.)

Unknown Brand Floor Brace**

For the future:

GTSpec Trunk Brace

GTSpec Fender Braces

GTSpec Subframe Braces

Etc (Basically all the bracing shy of a roll cage because I don't believe in slamming my head off a metal pipe in the name of a "cool looking cage" in my street car.)

for power adders, unless I come into some money, just a pro-tune for a while, but eventually I'd like to go all out...

I'm rambling because I've been up at work all night, though... so I'll shut the front door! now :tard:

I'll probably cheer right up when I get my tint done, and this pollen lets up a bit... I'm more worried about how she runs, but the I don't mind looking clean, either..

Rightseat

tint will be a good addition, not just for the looks, but also for the cooling effect. my car has a black interior and lots of greenhouse area (aka windows) so it really heats up in the sun. Hard on the passengers, including the spaniel. I see a tint in me own future before long.

doesn't hurt the car one iota to hit rev limiter...it's there to prevent engine damage, and is actually a fairly conservative cutoff. that's one big reason SOA is able to offer a warranty, n'est-ce pas?. Practically speaking, however, you don't get much extra powAr from that last 500-800 revs. You're well past torque peak by then anyway.

But is sure is fun!

You do realize you picked the #1 hardest color to get REALLY clean and shiny (and keep that way) don't you?

Lawdawg

Paint it flat black/gray and don't worry about dirt. Gives it character.

I hear you on the fuel prices, 93 is a bitch to find, and when you do, its 40 cents more the regular.

I cured my blues recently by a trip to the mount washinton auto-road, followed by a blast up and over hurricane mountain road. I could almost push my finger into the RE 070s after all was said and done. Blues cured...

Impreza05

Well because I care I will trade you my car for yours but so you still have something from it this is what I will do,,,,,, I will let you keep your payment book and I will keep mine, I know I'm a hell of a guy, a humanitarian like Ghandi or something. :angel12:

Rightseat

well, this thread has got me to thinking a bit (maybe dangerous, but hey)

so if driving a 300-hp AWD rocket is giving you the blues.....

maybe the problem is not the CAR...? :whip2: :happy3:

qwell, maybe it IS the car, funny how what seems like the "most awesome" of yesterday gradually becomes less endearing over time.

heh, I saw a black M3 wearing super fat Yokos parked near work today....had a for sale sign on it

i am like all OMFG x54 :love10: :love10: :love10: :love10: for this black leather german babe now

:nono: :love10: :nono: :love10: :nono: :love10:

Geist

Yeah I was looking at like '02-'03 M3s and considering the ol' trade in...

But if maintenance costs now have me down, neverfuckingmind the m3 stuff.

Latest posts

Back