Hello from central Maine

AiRX

Welcome! We'll cross paths. I'm in Sidney and have a 07 LGT LIMI in black aka The Wife's Car.

roadtrip1098

You should be able to pick up a used VF52 for cheap from any 09+WRX owner who has upgraded. I'd recommend it at around 100k regardless. If the turbo goes it'll take the motor with it.

HR radness

His royal radness
You should be able to pick up a used VF52 for cheap from any 09+WRX owner who has upgraded. I'd recommend it at around 100k regardless. If the turbo goes it'll take the motor with it.
THAT

Trust us, we are trying to spare you the agony that we already have suffered

JoeBalz

2005 LGT's suck.
^ Yes. I'm going VF-52 as soon as possible. I've got 140k on mine right now and I feel like I'm driving a ticking time bomb.

On a lighter note, the car looks awesome! I love red LGT's.

Pottle

VF52 direct bolt on? Any fuel mods or tune new to be done?

roadtrip1098

Oh and best mods for power per $.... Downpipe, Tactrix or Cobb with a decent tune, K&N drop in filter, - and best bigger ticket item VF52 turbo.

Other suggested mods: Springs, Swaybars, Endlinks

Of course there are $0 mods: Remove excess weight, Remove intake silencer

*** Tuning is crucial to making sure your car runs safely and can take advantage of the other modifications you have done. If you change a part even remotely connected to the engine and didn't adjust the tune, you are cheating yourself - and your car***

roadtrip1098

No fuel mods but absolutely should tune to get the most out of it. The ECU will probably be able to self tune to keep you at stock levels after a reset, but yeah.... definately get a tune.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
if no tune after a turbo upgrade, your a/f ratio will be way off, because it changes the amount of flow, so your maf reading will be off. not sure how much the lgt ecu can correct for it

JoeBalz

2005 LGT's suck.
if no tune after a turbo upgrade, your a/f ratio will be way off, because it changes the amount of flow, so your maf reading will be off. not sure how much the lgt ecu can correct for it
I don't think it can do all that much correcting on it's own, the ECU for the LGT is pretty sensitive to anything. If you plan on modding, get all the parts, and drive them down to Granite State Dyno, EFI Logics, etc. and have them put the parts on give you a tune. It seems to me at least that doing it all at once makes the most sense, if you can swing it. In the mean time, just go easy on that VF-40!

Pottle

Welcome! We'll cross paths. I'm in Sidney and have a 07 LGT LIMI in black aka The Wife's Car.
 Your wife work at Shaws on KMD?

Oh and best mods for power per $.... Downpipe, Tactrix or Cobb with a decent tune, K&N drop in filter, - and best bigger ticket item VF52 turbo.

Other suggested mods: Springs, Swaybars, Endlinks

Of course there are $0 mods: Remove excess weight, Remove intake silencer

*** Tuning is crucial to making sure your car runs safely and can take advantage of the other modifications you have done. If you change a part even remotely connected to the engine and didn't adjust the tune, you are cheating yourself - and your car***
I was planning on up-pipe, dp, and catback.  Im not looking to spend thousands on upgrades.  This is replacing my audi because it was too much to fix with basic stuff.  I just looking for some sound and what not.

HR radness

His royal radness
I think all of the guys will agree to save your $$ for a better turbo or you will be shelling out a whole bunch of $$ for at the very least valve work and the very most a new shortblock.  

sorry to be all gloom and doom, just hate to see such a SWEET sedan grenade on you. Very nice car BTW

Ask 2.5 RS Dan or myself our sad stories involving our LGT's.  

I miss mine and I know Dan feels the same

roadtrip1098

The A/F tables aren't what should worry you, those are effected by the boost levels, and those will not have changed in the target boost table. The MAF will read accurately since the intake diameter and MAF position are not changed, and the O2 sensor will be able to tell if the car is running rich or lean regardless and make adjustments. While in boost, the O2 sensor doesn't do a whole lot, AF is managed by taking the MAF readings and then telling the injectors how much fuel to squirt in to acheive desired AFR's. The values that will have a drastic change are the wastegate duty cycle values. These are compensated for by the WGD Correction in order to acheive target boost levels. I am pretty sure there is enough correction error built in so that a VF52 will work for acheiving target boost as a bolt on for temporary driving as long as you do eventually get it tuned and don't do WOT pulls with it.

WOT pulls might result in boost spike or possibly boost creep. This can be negated by running on just the wastegate, basically taking the BCS out of the equation. To do this, you will need to run the boos line from the turbo outlet fitting directly to the wastegate actuator.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
The A/F tables aren't what should worry you, those are effected by the boost levels, and those will not have changed in the target boost table. The MAF will read accurately since the intake diameter and MAF position are not changed, and the O2 sensor will be able to tell if the car is running rich or lean regardless and make adjustments. While in boost, the O2 sensor doesn't do a whole lot, AF is managed by taking the MAF readings and then telling the injectors how much fuel to squirt in to acheive desired AFR's. The values that will have a drastic change are the wastegate duty cycle values. These are compensated for by the WGD Correction in order to acheive target boost levels. I am pretty sure there is enough correction error built in so that a VF52 will work for acheiving target boost as a bolt on for temporary driving as long as you do eventually get it tuned and don't do WOT pulls with it.

WOT pulls might result in boost spike or possibly boost creep. This can be negated by running on just the wastegate, basically taking the BCS out of the equation. To do this, you will need to run the boos line from the turbo outlet fitting directly to the wastegate actuator.

so what you're saying is if you strap a gt30 to it, don't tune it and still run factory intake, and run off a low wastegate pressure it will be fine? I don't think so...

You need to have it tuned

the maf tables are not scaled enough for the higher flow rates to give accurate and safe afr values 

bottom line is this. We all want to make sure that you take the necessary measures to ensure your car has a long life ahead and doesn't cost you more money and headaches in the longrun.

roadtrip1098

so what you're saying is if you strap a gt30 to it, don't tune it and still run factory intake, and run off a low wastegate pressure it will be fine? I don't think so...

You need to have it tuned

the maf tables are not scaled enough for the higher flow rates to give accurate and safe afr values 

bottom line is this. We all want to make sure that you take the necessary measures to ensure your car has a long life ahead and doesn't cost you more money and headaches in the longrun.
No, what I said was VF52. Air flow is a product of how dense the air is, and the RPM of the motor. For example little boost and low RPM equals low air flow. This means the tables will be able to compensate for the small variences due to the different sized turbo. If you go high RPM and high boost, obviously your flow rate will be high enough so that the fuel map will not have the appropraite values input to deal with the situation. If you have the wastegate actuator hooked directly to the turbo outlet so it runs off the spring pressure around 14psi and it doesn't acheive boost levels higher than the stock turbo, flow rates will be close enough for the ecu to adjust for the boost curve as long as you do not go into the higher RPMS, ie doing a pull as I mentioned in the earlier post. What I'm trying to say here is you can probably get away with installing it and driving it to get it tuned as long as you don't race people on the way to the tuners. 

If you have ever looked at the maps for the Legacy GT you'll see what I mean.  

JoeBalz

2005 LGT's suck.
It's not too bad, Jay. It seems a little overwhelming/intimidating but it's really not any more money than it seems like you were planning on spending originally, you can pick up a lightly used VF52 for not a whole lot of moola, and then as long as you get it tuned properly, you'll get a decent performance upgrade and peace of mind that you're turbo isn't just waiting to blow. Like everyone has been saying, we just want to help you do what is best for you, your car, and your wallet.

Latest posts

Back