Hello from central Maine

Pottle

It's not too bad, Jay. It seems a little overwhelming/intimidating but it's really not any more money than it seems like you were planning on spending originally, you can pick up a lightly used VF52 for not a whole lot of moola, and then as long as you get it tuned properly, you'll get a decent performance upgrade and peace of mind that you're turbo isn't just waiting to blow. Like everyone has been saying, we just want to help you do what is best for you, your car, and your wallet.
Anyone in this state able to do the tune?

alright, just curious.  See a black GT there all the time.  Only other one I see, besides a silver wagon that is a teacher at the Oakland Middle School.

Pottle

Oh and best mods for power per $.... Downpipe, Tactrix or Cobb with a decent tune, K&N drop in filter, - and best bigger ticket item VF52 turbo.

Other suggested mods: Springs, Swaybars, Endlinks

Of course there are $0 mods: Remove excess weight, Remove intake silencer

*** Tuning is crucial to making sure your car runs safely and can take advantage of the other modifications you have done. If you change a part even remotely connected to the engine and didn't adjust the tune, you are cheating yourself - and your car***
Removed the silencer, or should I say, a gallon jug. Ha ha

roadtrip1098

You can probably get a generic OS tune from the interwebs out there since it's such a popular mod. Then all you need is someone with a Tactrix cable to flash your ECU for you. Of course to get the most gains you'll need a dyno tune done for your specific car since each car is just a little bit different. For example a tune done at 1000ft. elevation may not be as good for you if you're always at sea level, ect.

Pottle

Just went to get my car inspected at the Ford dealership in Oakland (first mistake).  Failed for front end links/ bushing loose.  Also told me that there are 3 smalls cracks in the my exhaust.  Ughh..

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
If I'm not mistaken the only reason vf40s have their issues is because of the filters/oil pick up.

Pottle

Oh nevermind then. Car looks sharp how many miles are on it?
116.  Ordering the timing belt kit and exhaust shortly.

If I'm not mistaken the only reason vf40s have their issues is because of the filters/oil pick up.
Ive been trying to read up as much as possibly about this and people are saying, as long as the oil is changed frequently and checking the oil level and is no need for sludge build up in the banjo bolt filter.  Guy that owned it before me changed it every 3k with synthetic.  I didnt buy the car to beat on, but I also dont drive it like a grandpa either
default_smile.png

DShane

116.  Ordering the timing belt kit and exhaust shortly.

Ive been trying to read up as much as possibly about this and people are saying, as long as the oil is changed frequently and checking the oil level and is no need for sludge build up in the banjo bolt filter.  Guy that owned it before me changed it every 3k with synthetic.  I didnt buy the car to beat on, but I also dont drive it like a grandpa either
default_smile.png
And they have a way below average lifetime for a turbo. They usually blow around 80k, so if yours is still the original just be prepared for it. Hopefully you got a good price if you're already having to dump money into it.

JoeBalz

2005 LGT's suck.
My turbo has 140k on it... Every time I see the needle go into boost I get a little nervous.

Pottle

And they have a way below average lifetime for a turbo. They usually blow around 80k, so if yours is still the original just be prepared for it. Hopefully you got a good price if you're already having to dump money into it.
Wouldn't say "dumping" money into it. Basic maintenance for the mileage. Got it for below kbb

Latest posts

Back