How much camber is too much?

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I decided to camber the wheels out for this Sunday. Is there a prefered camber for AutoX?

02 WRX waggie. Anyone?

akinaspeedstar

a lot!
default_biggrin.png

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I was gonna drop both front as low as I could and still make them even.

We only turn left, riiiight.
default_biggrin.png

Evan

you can go to napa and get 'crash bolts' as well, they're just like the stock ones but the ellipse is more dramatic so you can get even more camber ;D

inski

I can only get around -1(-1.1) from the stock cam bolts. -2 would be nice for auto-x.

You can get more by using two cam bolts, one in the upper strut hole and one in the lower strut hole, or use crash bolts.

The cool thing about working at a dealership is that you can do a crazy alignment for the weekend, and put it back to stock on Monday so you dont eat tires. >
default_biggrin.png

ruggedman

Hey Inski, is it worth it? Does it help?
Well i'm not insk, but it's wicked worth it. Give her max neg camber and run it! I tire wear from negative camber can be easily equalled out by taking a few hard corners. It's toe that really wears tires.

Rightseat

as with many things in life, camber is one of those things where "is some is good, more is not necessarlily better"

on the rally cars, we typically can get -2 degrees +/- at the back and up to -3 in front. more than this makes the car very darty when crossing uneven surfaces, such as the camber in a narrow road-- i.e., basically unusable for street driving. I'm back to -2 all around after trying a fair bit more. even at -2, the "knees-in" stance of the wheels is very noticeable, the car looks like an effin' circle-track racer sometimes.

using the notorious napa crash bolts, you may be able to get -2 up front, -1.5 at the back.

depending on your wheel/tire combo, any more than -1.5 at the back tents to produce rubbing probs between tire and spring perch on the strut. 7" wide wheels in 16" or 17" and 215 or 225 width gumballs don't leave much room. and when the rubbing happens, it can give you wicked bad snap oversteer :
default_biggrin.png
which I discovered by stuffing the rally can en route to the alignment shop one time. :
default_biggrin.png
:
default_biggrin.png
:
default_biggrin.png
:
default_smile.png
:
default_smile.png
it also wrecked one of my new Michilin Pilot Alpin snows :- :- :- :-

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I am running -1.7 front and -2.4 rear on the miata, it is quite twitchy, but that also comes from the ubsurd amount of castor. but it makes a fun drive with some ridiculous turn in.

but the miata is light and dosen't wear tires very much.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I wasn't planning on touching the rear just to make it easier, but should I? The NAPA bolts list +/- 1 3/4 on front, +/- 1 1/4 in the rear. I'm gonna try to get as close to Nigels set-up as I can. I'm running 17x7.5 48ET wheels with 225/45R17 RE070's. I'll watch for any rubbish on the rear struts. Saturday morning is gonna be fun!

I just re-called NAPA and got someone else. He showed rear bolts good for 1 3/4. Good to go....

Rightseat

my street/recce wagoon gave me -1.5/-1.25 at the back just on stock struts n bolts. (a big prybar helped). With 225/50-16 PZero Neros on 16x7 RS 6-spokes, there ain't much room between the shoulder and the strut. Enough, but barely, "thin finger" would describe it pretty well.

hah, drove the wag today...after a couple weeks in the Miata, the WRX felt like a truck.
default_biggrin.png
Well, sorta truck, except with 18 lbs boost >
default_biggrin.png

the Otter needs a turbo.
default_biggrin.png

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
In contrast, I took a Audi TT droptop home and it felt like a truck. Only low and roofless. I was glad to git back to the wagon.

ruggedman

In contrast, I took a Audi TT droptop home and it felt like a truck. Only low and roofless. I was glad to git back to the wagon.
Did you at least dress up like a doctor's wife? >
default_biggrin.png

Rightseat

In one of the CDN winter road rallies I did, a guy with a TT flew off a railroad Xing, landed hard...and then his passenger side door wouldn't close too good afterward.
default_biggrin.png
NOT a happy Audi customer. "I was just driving along and the shell bent!"

ralli

Nationally competitve STX cars (Joel, you more or less have an STX setup for suspension) generally run about -3 degrees out front... even with big sway bars and 500lb springs..

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Wow, that much huh. I don't have the ole double crash bolt set up yet. I'm putting it on the alignment rack tomorrow to see what I can get outa it.

ralli

Wow, that much huh. I don't have the ole double crash bolt set up yet. I'm putting it on the alignment rack tomorrow to see what I can get outa it.
Yeah probably the same as me ;-)

but try to get as much as possible

Car884

Don't forget: when you make a camber adjustment, it will effect you toe adjustment. Make sure when you make a change you really get the suspension settled before you measure anything.

Latest posts

Back