How much camber is too much?

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
You ain't kidding! I could only get -1.3 degrees of camber in the front, but my toe went to something like -.81. I set it back to -.06. It doesn't want to go straight, but man does it want to turn! I set it to -2.5 in the rear. Now I just gotta figure out tire pressures...

Car884

Careful with the toe. Too much and the back end will come around on you while your applying the brakes and turning at the same time. (trailbraking).

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I guess I was ok. It went great! I coulda actually used a little more oversteer. Next time....MWUUUUUHAHAHAHAHA! >
default_biggrin.png

sachilles

Kind of an old thread, but I thought I'd share a couple things I found with my 02 wrx wagon.

I had installed sedan struts which add ~0.8

sachilles

I think the real key is the ratio of camber from front to back. Going with very little in the back helps the car rotate a bit easier, yet maintain straight line acceleration.

I'm running sti struts with sti springs. Stock sways.

Tried the setup with 3 different tires and was happy. The old style azeni (rt215), hankook rs2's and Bfg R1's.

The tire that seemed to improve the most was the hankook with that setup, but there may have been other factors.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Really? I'm gonna keep that in mind. I was under the mindset of trying to match the front and rear, trying to make the front follow the back. And so far, getting the car to rotate hasn't been very easy.

Think maybe you found the problem?

EvilAsPie

I think the real key is the ratio of camber from front to back. Going with very little in the back helps the car rotate a bit easier, yet maintain straight line acceleration.

I'm running sti struts with sti springs. Stock sways.

Tried the setup with 3 different tires and was happy. The old style azeni (rt215), hankook rs2's and Bfg R1's.

The tire that seemed to improve the most was the hankook with that setup, but there may have been other factors.
When you say rotate do you mean turning or the car actually rotating itself, meaning sliding/drifting/oversteer/etc? Wouldn't that be counterproductive to autox?

sachilles

You really don't want a ton of negative camber in the back. Depends on the discipline though. If you do more track events, you will want a little more negative camber compared to autox. In general you want more negative up front.

somewhat tire dependant, but I think the ideal for autox is about -2.5 to -3.5 up front and -.75 to -1.5 in the back.

Track setup would change my opinion to -1 to -1.75.

I go with with zero toe to preserve tires. If money were no object, or my car was a trailer queen, then I'd run a slightly different toe setting.

Course this is just my personal opinion based on how I like my cars to run.

ruggedman

Really? I'm gonna keep that in mind. I was under the mindset of trying to match the front and rear, trying to make the front follow the back. And so far, getting the car to rotate hasn't been very easy.

Think maybe you found the problem?
If you want sweet drifto action get rcomps and mess with the pressures.
default_smile.png
I found out with 34F 42R i can make my car go sideways on a normal speed turn out of a stoplight.

johnny6speed

STX/STU Subaru Boost Buggie Competitors are running as much as -5F and -3R with much different suspension setups compaired to CMC/NER/SCCNH/SCCV folks.

From what I've read, the less camber you have in the rear the more the car will "snap" oversteer on your machines.

EvilAsPie

Some very helpful info coming from the honda racer.
default_smile.png

Thanks Jon, keeping to car from "rotating" or oversteering seams like a much better idea for the sport.
default_biggrin.png

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Johnny, whats your take on rotating? Your Civic seems to just be stuck like glue. I never notice it coming around at all. The Facemelter doesn't seem to rotate either. I feel faster if it just stays planted.

Thoughts?

EvilAsPie

I know i'm not johnny but,

My fastest run at Evercross had little to no tire squeal. If your tires are sliding front or back (understeer or oversteer) you're not going faster!

At least that's how i understand it.

ralli

STX/STU Subaru Boost Buggie Competitors are running as much as -5F and -3R with much different suspension setups compaired to CMC/NER/SCCNH/SCCV folks.

From what I've read, the less camber you have in the rear the more the car will "snap" oversteer on your machines.
I think my Wife's first run at the evercross is a prime example of this, of course on my first run I almost snapped around an barely held on. I warned her, but she spun anyway, not often that you see a WRX wagon spin lol

Redline

It was funny actually. I was in the pass. seat, you leaned in throught he window and as a closing comment said "Watch for the rotation". Sam looked at me and said "what?". I repeated what you said, not 100% sure what it meant. We both shrugged and said "I dunno." She then proceeds to whip the car 180* around. That's when I said "Ah... the rotation!" and she was laughing and apoligizing... it was quite funny really.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
See Antonio, I find it's faster for me to just try to drive a nice line and keep it stuck, and yet you rotate and set a blistering pace. Am I just not seeing the Melter rotate?

akinaspeedstar

oh trust me theh melter rotates. but that's more of a power slide then a lift oversteer. it has enough power to change it's cornering attack angle with the right foot instead of the wheel.

i know my car is a little tail happy with the rsb set at 24mils. while tend to drive as trainable put it, " very pissed off" i don't mind some tail slide, but generally its not faster, side ways is not forward. that said with better tires next season im going to be doing some HEAVY looking into alignment settings for next year, i'll let you know what i find

johnny6speed

Johnny, whats your take on rotating? Your Civic seems to just be stuck like glue. I never notice it coming around at all. The Facemelter doesn't seem to rotate either. I feel faster if it just stays planted.

Thoughts?
Joel, the best way I can explain it is for you to take a ride with me in it. It slides in the rear atleast 1/3 of the run, I correct it quickly with neutral steering and quick blips of the throttle.

I was quite impressed with your wagon when I snagged it for my chair run @ Awesomecross. The rear was snap oversteering through the slalom, it was controlable with lots of throttle application to correct. Throttle seemed to induce understeer. So I could whip it then get back on the gas to get it back. But I know it has changed a bit since then.

As far as rotating goes Im a big fan. And I setup my cars with outrageous oversteer in mind, dialing it back towards neutral till the point where I can control it within reason. That usually = Fast. Especially in FWD and maybe even AWD boost buggies.

So since you Scoobs have MacStrut front suspensions and the way the geometry is setup, you need HUGE front bars to aid in camber loss. So your -3.4 camber in the front is good. So now you have a huge bar in the front and maybe a smaller one in the rear. Unless you dial in a ton of toe out in the rear your car will plow. So to fix it you need much higher spring rates in the rear or a HUGE rear bar. Or ideally both.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back