How much camber is too much?

johnny6speed

oh trust me theh melter rotates. but that's more of a power slide then a lift oversteer. it has enough power to change it's cornering attack angle with the right foot instead of the wheel.

i know my car is a little tail happy with the rsb set at 24mils. while tend to drive as trainable put it, " very pissed off" i don't mind some tail slide, but generally its not faster, side ways is not forward. that said with better tires next season im going to be doing some HEAVY looking into alignment settings for next year, i'll let you know what i find
The melter power oversteers. Other then that it plows.

Mikey, I noticed while shagging cones at the last event, your car doesn't sound right compared to the rest of the GC's. Misfire maybe???? ??? ???

akinaspeedstar

my car doesn't sound like the rest of the GC's for a few reasons. header leaks, exhaust leaks which make it whistle . exhaust banging against the diff protector. the normal exhaust back fires when im off throttle i have an O2 sensor on it's way out, for some reasons. your not the first person to tell me this. but in the car i don't notice anything different then when im driving it normal. i think it has something to do with the exhaust when i go from full throttle to zero throttle. the back pressure pops and spurts and such.

i need to try and check with some more experienced GC drivers but my plan at the moment, is just a touch of tow in in the front, zero toe in the back and as much negative camber as i can dial in. from then i'll dial back the camber to try and find a nice neutral slightly tail happy set up.

are ALK illegal in sts??

sachilles

but you can still get more caster with some of the camber plates out there which I believe are legal. Basically you rotate the so that adjustment is going for and aft as opposed to the normal movement. Some allow both caster and camber change at the same time(but compromising the max value of both).

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Right now I've got a hollow 21mm Cobb rear bar, STI springs and a stock front bar. I was afraid if I put a matching front bar it would understeer. It appears from what you said this is correct. So, I'll take you up on you driving it next time.

I'll set it up the way it was in Lewiston for you to try. It felt real good to me, but it wasn't rotating. It was stuck like glue and liked to turn. Which wasn't so good for the tight corners Ralli set up.

But it was a friggen' blast. I had adjusted my tire pressure to 34 frt, 40 rr trying to get the front to go where I pointed it and it seemed to work.

akinaspeedstar

a large front sway will NOT cause understeer. ask me how i know
default_biggrin.png

it actually keeps the suspension in line, so that your camber doesn't get all wonkey when your cornering hard. mcphearson struts will lose camber as they compress and actully go to positive camber. with a larger front sway bar you minimise the amount of caster that you lose.

i can show you before and after picture of my car cornering to back up my comments.

ralli

??? ALK ???
Anti Lift Kit... great handling mod

Not legal for ST* Classes, but legal for SP and up classes..(or at least that is my understanding) the whiteline ball joint relocation kit... it is suppose to do amazing things with lowered subys for the handling.

ruggedman

??? ALK ???

Not legal for ST* Classes, but legal for SP and up classes..(or at least that is my understanding) the whiteline ball joint relocation kit... it is suppose to do amazing things with lowered subys for the handling.
The ball joint kit is as far as i'm concerned a requirement for a lowered scoob.

ralli

??? ALK ???

The ball joint kit is as far as i'm concerned a requirement for a lowered scoob.
Unless you are in ST* ...lol..but yes.. it does great things for handling... it helps to fix the geometry of the suspension that was messed up my lowering the car, such as the roll center and such. They just recently came out with this modification for the REX too...

johnny6speed

Right now I've got a hollow 21mm Cobb rear bar, STI springs and a stock front bar. I was afraid if I put a matching front bar it would understeer. It appears from what you said this is correct. So, I'll take you up on you driving it next time.

I'll set it up the way it was in Lewiston for you to try. It felt real good to me, but it wasn't rotating. It was stuck like glue and liked to turn. Which wasn't so good for the tight corners Ralli set up.

But it was a friggen' blast. I had adjusted my tire pressure to 34 frt, 40 rr trying to get the front to go where I pointed it and it seemed to work.
Im sorry Joel what I meant is that Subaru's need both a large front bar and a large rear bar. Or a combination of larger bars and higher spring rates.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
So, should I put on a matching larger front bar? I plan to put Prodrive springs, but for now I'm running just the STI ones. I'm running stock dampers for now.

EvilAsPie

a large front sway will NOT cause understeer. ask me how i know
default_redface.gif

it actually keeps the suspension in line, so that your camber doesn't get all wonkey when your cornering hard. mcphearson struts will lose camber as they compress and actully go to positive camber. with a larger front sway bar you minimise the amount of caster that you lose.
27/29 Whiteline FSB = Wicked yummy. I'd do the 24mm whiteline rear adjustable if i could put a rear bar on.
Yes Joel get a larger front bar!! :
default_redface.gif

Prodrives + AGXs = Awesome!

Then i would put your MAP/boost back to stock and really compete against Antonio, as long as he is staying in STX next year.

akinaspeedstar

joel i really wouldn't bother to switch to prodrives unless you really want to. i run them for two reasons, there prodrives and i've kind of have a thing going. B sti tunes subarus, prodrive tunes sti's

if i was you and you were me i'd grab a stool and use your body to put a bigger front bar on, i wouldn't go much bigger then 24 in the rear, mine will lift over steer like a baster as it is right now. leave the sti springs, and set the boost back to stock and run stx.

i like my set up, im going to submit that it's as good as you can get in sts with out going to coil overs. now i just need some good tires to pull it all together.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I'm gonna stay in ESP. I like running against Gabe and "Kingpin" in the Mustang. We're all running really closely and, quite frankly, I don't want to REALLY run against Ralli. I like talkin' smack and trying to beat him, but lets get serious.

I screwed up when I said my RSB is a 21mm, it's a 25mm hollow. The front that's going on is a matching 25mm hollow as well :
default_redface.gif
:-[. Friggen' parts guys...

But the springs are still up in the air. The parking lots at most ski area's are dirt and bumpy ya know.

ralli

So, should I put on a matching larger front bar? I plan to put Prodrive springs, but for now I'm running just the STI ones. I'm running stock dampers for now.
Run the sweetness Hotckis setup that I am.. its very nice.. and yes go BIG on front and rear!

I may do the tein flex coilovers next year, not really sure.

Latest posts

Back