I-wagons frontier

i-wagon

I'll try to get pictures later this week with measurements from ground to top of wheel arches. From what I've seen the bilsteins lift almost a half inch more than they claim, so I'm figuring on 2 3/8 front and either 2 or 2 5/8 depending on if I keep the overload spring or not. The add a leaf is made to remove the overload and reuse the original u-bolts. Well I wasn't having any of that because u bolts are to important to reuse and I ordered longer ones because it was less than half the price of oe. So I have the option of keeping the overload, and if it's too much rake I can order a taller spacer (they're cheap) and put longer studs in the top hats.

G8GbH48.jpg

Not shown are the height adjustable fronts, which are leaning against my welding rig in my dad's garage

i-wagon

Got shipping confirmation on the spacers today, I'm guessing the guy had to build them, which is understandable, I didn't really think he'd stock a half inch spacer when everyone wants 1-2. With that information, I decided I'd change the rear shocks first opportunity I had. Then the little one fell asleep on the ride home, so I got under the truck to just loosen bolts. I had to have a2ft torque wrench with a 2 ton Jack under it to free up the lower shock bolts. Tops came off with a regular ratchet. Since she was still sleeping I went ahead and twitched out the old ones, found they were leaking oil, and slapped in the bilsteins. Made a huge difference. I think the shocks were over half of my ride quality issue. Now, I know using a torque wrench to loosen bolts is bad, and I definitely don't recommend using a Jack to apply the necessary pressure to free stuck bolts. But, a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do. And for you folks looking to go lower, bilstein make height adjustable lowering kits with shocks and springs and I believe coilover kits. To bad the didn't make lift struts for Subarus

i-wagon

Hey all, deunkk me logging on to say we drove 30 miles (one way)

for a living room set, got it home, couch could not physically fit in our doors, drove back another 30 miles for a love seat, got that in, delivered the couch we bought and damaged to brother in law 15 miles away, and still have a living room in shambles. And our delivery charge was Jack Daniels Tennessee honey. Have 140 miles and $700 in having a living room set (awesome recliner and ik love seat). Trailer now needs a grease job (2 trips from Oxford to auburn and one to north Norway) and I need fuel again

Last edited by a moderator:

i-wagon

Going after a set of camber bolts this afternoon. When my alignment was bad they did both on the passenger side lca, but not the drivers side, so I'd like to have those to put in while I'm right there. Still waiting on spacers. hopefully those show up today

i-wagon

So, my tracking number for my spacers has said "enroute" for 4 days. Figured for 2 day priority mail it should have been here today. Went to track it, all I saw was "auburn" and got all excited.....it's in auburn California. Guess I'll be doing that next weekend. Have to redo the yellow Lamin-x on my fog lights and new bulbs tomorrow, get my motorcycle on the battery charger so I can get ready to sell it.

i-wagon

1GmKnJi.jpg

Last piece of the puzzle showed up today! But now I have to wait for Saturday to put it all together

i-wagon

Had today off, decided I'd try and install the camber boltson the dice that didn't have any. First one came right oout wicked slick. The other one was seized in the bushing. So I decided to see how bad the passenger side was. Both of those were seized right on there too. ended up marinating then in pb, heating with propane, and wailing on them with a 5 pound hammer. I've I had each one out I cleaned them up and slathered then on synthetic brake grease and spun them around a few times do hopefully they don't seize again. Also freed up all the fasteners I'll be removing when everything goes on Saturday. Had 3 hours in this little mission, glad I wasn't paying labor

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
At least you got them freed up. Sucks when bolts seize inside bushings!

i-wagon

I called Joel for insight, and one of his former Nissan guys said they usually end up needing control arms. I want having any of that. It was worth the 3 hours of heating, beating and marinating in pb to get them out and bathed in grease. I would have thought the 2 cam bolts would've been the easy ones to do, but we're actually the hardest. And Lee just had them freed up at my last alignment

i-wagon

Today's the big day. Just went out and measured the truck for a "before"measurement. Ground to top of wheel arch. Front 34.25, rear 34.75

FTfc5Kv.jpg

i-wagon

g3tnVHt.jpg

The picture I took in that same place came out like crap, where it sits in this pic isn't level, that rear tire is dropped down a bit. But it rides so much better now

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Looks good! I'll have to bring the Loyale to an Auburn meet and see which one is taller! Haha

i-wagon

I'm'm trying to convince my girl to go to the ihop meet on the 5th. I think I have your forester beat now

i-wagon

Have geolandars ordered. I really wanted Goodyear duratracs because they are just plain nasty, but a buddy is getting me 5 geolandars in one size taller than oe, for comparable money to 3 duratracs. In the size I'm going with the yokos have different tread spacing and look more aggressive. Those will go on when the grabbers cook off(probably fall). Savings from cheaper tires will go on to better tree climbing gear(did my first climbing takedown Saturday)

Latest posts

Back