In search of a TD04 Turbo and/or Compressor for an 04 WRX

Subarulover7

Hey guys, I've been recently having white smoking coming from my exhaust and tricking out of my hood scoop (coming form below the turbo) without any pattern to it. Head foreman at Stanley Subaru checked it over without any immediate signs to why it's throwing smoke so my best guess is the seals in the turbo are letting go. I currently have 149,xxx on my rex and the idea of the turbo letting go seems reasonable. He also discovered that my AC compressor is junk so a used or decently priced one of those would be awesome. Genuine Subaru Parts is calling for $512 for a new Compressor and $1,254 for the turbo... Don't have that kind of money. Anywyas the turbo is more important I can get by without the AC, let me know whatcha got! Don't know if I'm in need of a turbo yet just want to keep one eye open for when I get a professional diagnosis and realize my worst fears are realized and my theory about the seals is right. Still let me know if you have a TD04, Thanks. 

Link to my post about my smoke issue.

http://www.mainelysubarus.com/forums/topic/16170-bad-valve-cover-gasket/?do=findComment&comment=270954

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
If the seals were letting go, the smoke would be coming out your tailpipe, and it would have a blue tint to it. I don't think the turbo is your issue. Probably just the return line or the feed line is leaking

Subarulover7

If the seals were letting go, the smoke would be coming out your tailpipe, and it would have a blue tint to it. I don't think the turbo is your issue. Probably just the return line or the feed line is leaking
I have been noticing smoke from the exhaust, but it's only within the first mile or so after starting. Then the smoke from the exhaust disappears. The foreman was saying something about if the smoke is only on first couple miles after cold start up could mean the seals expand from the heat after that short driving time, stopping the exhaust smoke. As for the smoke coming up from below the turbo that happens after its been driven and the engine is up to normal operating temperature range. Had my friend drive it yesterday and I followed and it smoked when he left my drive until about a mile down the road every time he laid into it and the turbo spooled, but after that when he took off from the end of that road it no longer smoked no matter how much he spooled.

Latest posts

Back