Light Setups and Discussion

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
If theyre mounted below the centerline of the headlights then they can be lit up and used like fogs. When I get another pair two will be wired to my hi beams and the other two to my fogs
default_biggrin.png
If they aren't fog lights, don't wire them as such. It doesn't really matter where you place them on your car. It is the reflector pattern that matters most.

Mighty Subie

thanks for linking that stuff up. I was unable to do it from my cell. (I probably could have but I was too lazy to even try)

So you can have 2 fog lights. if mounted above centerline of headlights can not be turned on while on public ways. If mounted below, have to be turned off for oncoming traffic or if close to same lane traffic.

other lights can't be turned on while on public ways. If you're on a back road, or in northern maine and have the lights blazing with no one coming, no one will care.

basic rule of thumb: if you have oncoming traffic, do not be a moron and leave your high beams on. The same goes for aux lighting. If you comply with this, no one cares. If you don't, then you deserve every fine you get. period.

(I personally love seeing lots of lights on cars. A couple extra lights on the bumper or roll bar on trucks or wherever. It's great.

Edit: You missed this part (yes it is easy to miss different things in 29A)

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/29-A/title29-Asec2067.html

it's where they say you can't run any fogs aside from factory installed ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
2011-04-24%25252014.54.41.jpg

2011-04-24%25252016.46.16.jpg

Wired to come on only with the high beams.

I drove by the Portland Police headquarters down town every day for months. Passed cops over 100 times. They don't care if they're uncovered, as long as they're not on. The easiest rule of thumb is "don't be dumb".

2010-12-04%25252012.12.33.jpg

2010-12-04%25252011.52.51.jpg

2010-12-04%25252011.52.18.jpg

Origional setup, then I added the cross bar above and 2x extra lights. Use a trailer wiring harness to make quick disconnect plugs.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I have a pair of hella FF1000s on the nose of my WRX. I have only been questioned about them when I was stopped for a burnt out plate light. I think that the officer was just checking that I wasn't using them all the time.

I showed her the switch and that they would only illuminate with high beams and she was satisfied. Thanked me for "doing it right" and moved on.

Just remember if you are planning for fogs. 2'@30' is how they must be aimed (or lower). Otherwise you are going to blind the hell out of people. Also buy FOGS, don't just stick driving lights on a fog circuit.

Matt

why you gotta pick on the underglow!!!!! pulled my rs stock fogs in order to put in the hella 500s that I wired up to an individual switch...really only use them on back roads and the highway.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Where did you buy those brackets dan? And how do they mount to the car?

Would they wobble with the bigger 700's?

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Where did you buy those brackets dan? And how do they mount to the car?

Would they wobble with the bigger 700's?
Go to Lowes. Buy quarter inch steel flat stock. Cut to desired length. Bend in bench vice. Start with that. If ti bounces too much, triangluate with threaded rod and more flat stock.

krazykarpenter

Got 2 500FF's, never had any problems covers on or off. They are wired into the high beams (thanks to Dan for the help) and controlled by a switch inside so they are not always coming on with high beams, just when I want them to. 1/4inch aluminum hung off the front beam with 5.5inch bolts, barley any "dancing".

dscn0510y.jpg

dscn0513d.jpg

krazykarpenter

Unfortunatly not, its my neighbors boat that he likes to slam against my trees in the wintertime...

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Next lighting thing I want to do is get a fog and mount it on my back bumper. I hate backing up in the driveway at night and not being able to see.

But I want to get a nice low draw LED one. That way it can double as a light setting up camp sites when I'm camping and get stuck setting up in the dark.

Or for when a truck is behind me with stupidly bright improperly aimed lights....

Ray

The Northernah'
Next lighting thing I want to do is get a fog and mount it on my back bumper. I hate backing up in the driveway at night and not being able to see.

But I want to get a nice low draw LED one. That way it can double as a light setting up camp sites when I'm camping and get stuck setting up in the dark.

Or for when a truck is behind me with stupidly bright improperly aimed lights....
I like this idea.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Ridgid industries makes really really nice LED stuff. But they're still pretty expensive.

I've installed a bunch of their stuff on boats, and really like it. We took one narrow beam LED out on a drive, and it's comparable to a hella 500. About the same throw distance. Slightly dimmer, slightly narrower beam.

The fogs are really cool though. Very wide angle and throw a lot of light.

Would be perfect for backup or offroad flood lights. And they only draw something like 20 watts. So you could probably run it on the car's battery for a few hours without worrying about draining it.

Stein

Stein

Sounds like a great opportunity to DIY. I don't think you'd need any sort of reflector for the LEDs, right?

Latest posts

Back