Light Setups and Discussion

i-wagon

I'd broken a set of fogs in my lower grill opening last winter, bought better lights this year with plastic mesh to cushion hard impacts. dont have pics of my setups now, but front system mounts to license plate screws, flatbar comes down then back to vacant holes on rad support. holds 2 tractor flood lights and hella 500s easy, then have 3 truck light brand utility lights mounted to the back of my roof basket wired into the reverse lights and on an independant switch. I can always see like its daylight out, no matter which deirction I'm traveling in, and people dont tailgate, and dim their hihg beams pretty damn quick when I remind them

krazykarpenter

It's nice because the 06/07's already have drilled holes perfectly where you need to mount the lights! That's what I'm using. No drilling required.
Yeah, this is very convenient, and the way I mounted them if you hit something (I.e. snowback getting into driveway) the mounts just push to one side or the other so you can just push them back without screwing up the mounts or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

i-wagon

My mount is stronger than the whole front end of the car, and I have a pushbar/skidguard I took off that's even stronger, which is for sale if s someone wants it

Maxxguy25RS

Who has mounted big fogs on their 04, 05 blob eye subies? I want the look of the bug eye subies with the big fogs, but I can't seem to find anyone that has a fog light cover for a big fog light on the blob eyes. I've seen the JDM fogs which are big, but they cost 500 for the covers and lights. Using the stock locations, has anyone pulled this off?

Flipswitch

7" of 1/8" almuinum angle bracket per side & bolted to the bottom of the bumper beam looks like this:

2012-06-25_16-28-51_HDR.jpg

To mount larger fogs in the stock location you would not only need to modify the fog cover but you would need to hack into your bumper beam for the added clearance. The stock fogs mount onto the fiberglass bumper cover. You might need to find a sturdier mounting point if you are mounting heavier lights.

scubiecraig

Just FYI, those will shake like hell with only aluminum. I have doubled up 1/8" aluminum and it still shakes. I am going to swap to steel.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
aluminum angle is more rigid than flatstock. I use 1/4 inch flat steel and wouldn't go any thinner for flatstock. Angle use a good 3/8 to 1/4 alu or steel.

Flipswitch

After a spirited run on Beaver Berry Road in Limington I am happy to say that the 1/8" angle mount dances no more than the headlights

The only problem with this mount is if someone runs into you

2012-07-23_18-07-38_398.jpg

Stein

Stein
The only problem with this mount is if someone runs into you
Yeah... I still need to figure out a way to repair the lenses, since Hella doesn't sell them by themselves. I was given four Hella 500 bodies without lenses, and I recently smacked my FF1000 and shattered it.

I wish I could make one completely out of clear tape! lol

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I Could use a spare FF1000 chassis if you don't have new glass for it Stein.

and that mount has no impact on the lens shattering if you are hit. the mount will give before the glass does.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Mounting methods aside, it's waaay better to mount aux lights above bumper level. They are much much less vulnerable to impacts there, like from parking dings, snowbank surfing, and unplanned excursions into the puckerbrush. There's good reason that rally cars mount aux lights up on the hood, not down in the impact zone!

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I've said that all through out this thread but no one wants to listen.

Put your lights in line with your headlights behind your bumper beam.

2011-04-24%252014.54.41.jpg

Took me 15 bucks + lights and a few beers. And this was before I had access to a welder. Next summer I need more lights and a bigger bar....

Stein

Stein
I Could use a spare FF1000 chassis if you don't have new glass for it Stein.

and that mount has no impact on the lens shattering if you are hit. the mount will give before the glass does.
I broke both the crappy plastic mount and the glass out at OTR. I think I'm going to hold on to the chassis at least until I get another pair of driving lights.

Latest posts

Back