Marino's Lifted Hawkeye - the Winter Beast

Marino

I <3 BOOST
I was able to wrap this up today, I absolutely love how it came out. 

All in all it went very smoothly. One of the studs that hold the headlight into place snapped right off as soon as I started to turn the nut

SgDv7Pah.jpg

Everything was quite rusty so after that I was extra careful, but there wasn't much I could do. Getting the headlights out of the car was a real pain. I hate removing the grill on these too

With the headlights out I preheated the oven and got ready to bake them. 225 degrees for 20 minutes. When separating the two halves I got a little bit of the stringy silicone on the inside of the plastic lens... I used goo gone and a brand new microfiber and it came right off, but I'm not sure if your supposed to touch that part or not. Oh well, time to paint.

I used Dupli-color high temp semi-gloss black for the housings. Same as i used on my WRX lights. 3 light coats and it was good to go. I let it sit for a few hours before I assembled it back together

tBQ1JDLh.jpg

Now the high beams, I was a little unsure about. I almost even backed out and wasn't going to do them, but I gave it a shot. Masked off everything around and went to town. For this I used Dupli-color Metalcast yellow. Here is the first, light coat:

T5WetaMh.jpg

I did one more light coat and decided it was good.

One more thing I did before sealing the lights back up was adding a strip of butyl tape around the outer groove of the light. This ensures that it won't leak or have any condensation and also makes it so I can re-open the light any-time I want. 

I stuck the lights back in the oven for 10 minutes to soften everything and was able to sandwich it back together and get all the clips in with ease.

All that was left was to hook the wiring harness back up and plug the bulbs in and slap them in the car. Which was a massive pain by the way. Anyway, final product! 

fx3q3Poh.jpg

Sooooo worth it!!

Marino

I <3 BOOST
Loving this beast 
default_wub.png

ORauRPPh.jpg

I buffed/cleared the headlights the other day with a kit from O'Reillys. Came out good!

yfZOWFRh.jpg

I still have to wire up the Hella's... I hate wiring which is why it hasn't been done yet haha but it will

Marino

I <3 BOOST
Spent the past weekend camping in Georgetown. Had a blast driving this beast through the back roads...

So, ever since I've had my exhaust I've noticed an occasional rattle. Hadn't really bothered me (in fact it only bothered me when I had passengers) but I snooped around underneath the car and found the culprit after pushing it around. Any ideas what I could do to fix it? There isn't much play with that hanger

9HbVGcXh.jpg

Also, I took my winged trunk off because I'm going to be doing some work to it. Sanding it all down and filling all the holes this time and then buying a paint gun and color matching it, wing included. Hoping it turns out good. 

eeee...

cERv8ZHh.jpg

scubiecraig

Try a Kartboy long hanger. They are MUCH stiffer and do not move. Also, you could possibly buy some Rubber tubing and slip it over the exposed part.

scubiecraig

Let me check my basement. I may have one. It's yours if I still have it.

EDIT: Yup, still have it. 15mm Torque Solutions. Yours for shipping cost. Not sure where you live.. but willing to meet within reason too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Marino

I <3 BOOST
Let me check my basement. I may have one. It's yours if I still have it.

EDIT: Yup, still have it. 15mm Torque Solutions. Yours for shipping cost. Not sure where you live.. but willing to meet within reason too!
Sent you a pm!

Marino

I <3 BOOST
Little update on this, it has become my daily driver. I drive this car everywhere and i love it. the WRX only comes out on nice days or occasions

A few weeks ago I decided to order a new rear o2 sensor. Figured it was worth a shot to maybe get rid of the infamous p0420. Sure enough, I installed it, cleared the code, and it never came back. Sweet! A week later, I noticed the car started running a little rough. It would stutter and hesitate on acceleration and felt super low on power. Then came a flashing CEL. p0304 cylinder 4 misfire 
default_additional_mad2.gif
 4 new spark plugs, new coil and wires and she's running mint. No cel's 
default_additional_thumbsup.gif

Still need to paint my extra trunk w/ wing. Getting bored of no wing! I even bought a good paint gun a while back but ran out of motivation. Hopefully I'll get it done before winter. I've toyed with the idea of snagging an actual STI wing too, we'll see. I feel the wing really compliments being lifted. That rally look 
default_smile.png

Marino

I <3 BOOST
Like I did with my other set of tails on the wrx, smoked reverse light/blinker overlays from Premium Auto Styling. Cheap, easy, and adds a really nice touch. I will do this on every set of 04/05 tails I have!

tFrVohoh.jpg

Can't wait to take this out when the snow starts flying!

Marino

I <3 BOOST
Those look good!

Was the exhaust getting a little loud? I see the silencer in there haha.
Haha thing is rowdy
default_additional_sillylol.gif
I had to make a long trip the other day with a car full of people so I decided to throw it in, and never got around to taking it out. Surprisingly that silencer takes out I'd say 80% of the noise, and has 0 drone on the highway. So I keep it in my trunk for those occasions

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Yeah I remember when I had mine, it made a huge difference. It was nearly as quiet as stock! Haha. Definitely nice to have, just in case.

Marino

I <3 BOOST
My dream came true
default_biggrin.png
haters gonna hate, but I could care less!

03IIVg4h.jpg

I swapped my wingless trunk with someone on the MS facebook page for his STi trunk. Same Urban gray color. Added some cash on top, and I am one happy person. I can switch out trunks in less than 5 minutes I've done it so much

biNSvIeh.jpg

This trunk actually used to be my buddies, and it made it's way back to me now haha

I have re-fallen in love with the car !

mi7RDlgh.jpg

default_banana.gif

Even has 2 Perrin wing stiffies to boot!
default_banana.gif

Marino

I <3 BOOST
So ever since I swapped trunks I noticed there was no brake light wire coming out of the wing/trunk. It bothered me that the spoiler 3rd brake light was not functional, even though I already have a 3rd brake light in the cabin. So I decided to remove the wing the other day and investigate. Upon lifting the wing up, I found the wire was there tucked up inside! But, there was no hole for it to come through the trunk. Which got me thinking....

This isn't an original STi trunk come to find out. The spoiler itself is OEM, but it appears the trunk was originally a wingless and someone drilled out all 12 holes. You couldn't tell, it looks absolutely perfect fitment wise and doesn't leak. I was able to remove one of the wing studs and fed the wire down through that hole.

​​Being that it's a 2.5i with no spoiler from the factory, it had no connecting wire on the passenger side trunk hinge for the brake light. My buddy who was parting out his bugeye had that wire/cord kicking around and gave me his. Win! Functional spoiler 3rd brake light!

IqMSdLCh.jpg

Maaan I love this car! I've only driven the wrx once in the last 3 weeks!

Marino

I <3 BOOST
So I was bored one night, randomly browsing the classifieds on Nasioc. I come across a big "STi style" hood scoop designed for an 06/07. Always kinda wanted one, and the price was right. You never see the giant 04/05 style on hawkeyes unless someone has a carbon hood or something. I have no idea what the brand of this is or who makes it, but it fits perfect. Couldn't wait to get home to put it on so it went on the second I got off work haha. It looks like it was painted with bedliner or something similar, eh, kinda matches my hood. I'll respray both after winter

sCh5eVrh.jpg

6fiPJiih.jpg

I really, really want to get a set of Grabbers. But my winter set still has great tread, and I have 3 total sets of wheels and tires between my two Subaru's and don't want to invest in a whole other setup... ahh we'll see. It'll happen, it's just "when". That and a roof basket would really set the car off I think. I love this car

SUBARUDE

Go on amazon and look up bison roof basket they look like a thule moab basket and last I seen they were only $89 shipped I have one and love it

Latest posts

Back