Need help please

therussiann

So the other day i read a dude rev matching gears and shifting without a clutch. So today i tried it for the first time betwen 2/3/4 and it worked up and down. I have never done this and will never do. My questin is how bad is this and is this an early sigen of something wrong with clutch or trany or a bad one.

Ty Ty

Umm...is there something broken or some weird noise? You mention neither...

Oh...and don't try to do that again.

ruggedman

Wouldn't do it with a scoob. Used to do it in my buddy's camaro like it was nothing, but those things are built like tanks.

diabloadsit

There is no problem in doing this. All manual trannys can do it. a lot of truck drivers do it because they have some many gears to go through.(my brother was a truck driver and this is what he told me) I have done this in my Mazda 6s I had and also in my sti.

I acutally got so good at it that in my mazda 6s I could sit at a stop sign and have it in neutral and then rev to about 2300 rpm and pop it into 1st and take off without even using the clutch.

On the sti tranny the 6th gear has a lock and it will not pop out of 6th when trying to do this. So you can only do it 1st-5th gears.

diabloadsit

Wouldn't do it with a scoob. Used to do it in my buddy's camaro like it was nothing, but those things are built like tanks.
You actually save your clutch and if you are good at it you is zero grinding or jarring going into gear.

Sti's tranny are strong as bullets so they would be fine regardless.

Not sure about the twigs and leaves they built the wrx's tranny from though.
default_additional_iam.gif

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I acutally got so good at it that in my mazda 6s I could sit at a stop sign and have it in neutral and then rev to about 2300 rpm and pop it into 1st and take off without even using the clutch.
Huh? I don't get how you get it moving without using the clutch... I can do clutchless shifting just fine, no grinding or anything, just smooth shifting. But the main reason to have a clutch is to be able to start from a complete stop.. Maybe I'm misreading, but I'm confused

Ty Ty

Huh? I don't get how you get it moving without using the clutch... I can do clutchless shifting just fine, no grinding or anything, just smooth shifting. But the main reason to have a clutch is to be able to start from a complete stop.. Maybe I'm misreading, but I'm confused
He enjoys putting excessive shock stress on his gears and wasting tire rubber...

diabloadsit

It is doable trust me. you are sitting still no clutch in or nothing. now rev the car a little then slip it into 1st. It is not super smooth but is doable.

All you are really doing is reving the cars engine to match the speed of the driveline. then you slip the car into gear. When driving down the road and you do this you don't slap the thing into gear you just slip it in. If done right there is no jerk or anything. By the way you can only do this when around 2-4k rpm.

diabloadsit

He enjoys putting excessive shock stress on his gears and wasting tire rubber...
Mybe before you guys bash something that you obviously have never done maybe you should try it first. Then come back here when you know what the hell you are talking about and have some real world experience.

Ty Ty

Rev matching an engine to a transmission that isn't moving? I do it all the time...I turn the key to "off".

Nate

Founding Father
im gonna venture out on a limb... and say they put that clutch there for a reason.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
It is doable trust me. you are sitting still no clutch in or nothing. now rev the car a little then slip it into 1st. It is not super smooth but is doable. All you are really doing is reving the cars engine to match the speed of the driveline. then you slip the car into gear. When driving down the road and you do this you don't slap the thing into gear you just slip it in. If done right there is no jerk or anything. By the way you can only do this when around 2-4k rpm.
I don't get the rev matching when the car isn't moving... Sounds like the synchros are being used as a clutch to get it moving, or something.

I'm not trying to bash (you or my transmission), I'm just a tad confused

diabloadsit

I am in no way saying that doing this from a dead stop is ok on the tranny. I am saying that doing it when moving is fine. I was just saying that it is do able.

You use the clutch to "slowlyr" pop the car into gear. Doing it without the clutch is slower because you have to get the revs right and it is not at smooth.

When moving though. If you are are good it is faster when driving economy style and also helps save the clutch.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Ok, I gotcha.

I usually use the clutch, but drive as if I'm driving clutchless. It is just so easy to mess up and kill the transmission. I don't want to take chances on the 5MT. It still doesn't put wear on the clutch because it is never slipping.

I did a lot of the clutchless shifting when I hurt my foot because it was painful to press the clutch, so I did it as little as possible.

ruggedman

You actually save your clutch and if you are good at it you is zero grinding or jarring going into gear.Sti's tranny are strong as bullets so they would be fine regardless.

Not sure about the twigs and leaves they built the wrx's tranny from though.
default_biggrin.png
Save your clutch but work your synchros extra. Clutches are easier to replace for me than a synchro. In a dog engagement, well...go for it it's designed for that
default_lost.gif
. Just because it slots in easily and you can do it doesn't mean it's not wearing those yellow metals down.
default_wink.png
Doens't seem like there's much benefit either.

Now no lift shifts are were it's at if you want to be faster in the 1/4 and dont care about a little added maintenence.
default_biggrin.png
The DSM guys i used to hang out with are all over that stuff...

Latest posts

Back