New from Bridgton

Meyagi

I'm a hack
if the dealer is buying you a engine, have them get a new sti shortblock. same price, better internals

SUBARUDE

I believe my cars got the 2.5xt with 1000 cc injectors

think i gotta go find the build list before i got running my mouth.
Sounds like christen's old car he was silversurfer on here

Does it have a front mount I/C

DShane

That's what I told my mechanic I wanted. He was looking to see if the heads, intake and turbo would all work with it.

if the dealer is buying you a engine, have them get a new sti shortblock. same price, better internals

DShane

sure...Im still getting used to my new ride tho,she's a whole differant beast them my old rex.
Haha I'm sure she is. I've got Sundays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays off at the moment so if you ever want to go out just message me on here.

DShane

Well the dealer decided they'd rather buy me a whole new engine than have to pay for all the labor associated with installing a new shortblock, so I'm getting a whole new setup that only has 10k miles on it, can't really complain about that.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Make sure you remove the oil screens to help reduce the chance of it happening again. And is it coming with a new turbo too? Cause yours is probably junk too.

DShane

Already asked my mechanic about the oil screens and he agreed and said he'd remove them. It's not coming with a new turbo, but the turbo on there is only about 12k miles old. Initially I thought the new turbo had blown, but my mechanic said that it had spun a rod bearing, so the turbo should still be good, well as good as a vf40 can be. I've already started saving for a vf52 so the 40 won't have to last me all that long, I'll probably be able to buy the new one come end of summer.

IBratmanI

It would be a bad move to re use that turbo. It is lubricated with the same oil that lubricates the bearings that went bad and most likely circulated metal shavings into that turbo. Get a new turbo now, or do this again shortly after.

wzrd

who's doing the work on your car??

It would be a bad move to re use that turbo. It is lubricated with the same oil that lubricates the bearings that went bad and most likely circulated metal shavings into that turbo. Get a new turbo now, or do this again shortly after.
wouldnt a good mechanic suggest the same?? cya

DShane

Portland Street Auto Body is doing the work

He hasn't looked at the car in his shop yet though, he came to my house and gave it a diagnosis. It's going into the shop early next week, I'll swing by tomorrow and mention it to him and see if he agrees. I wouldn't be able to get a VF52 out of it either way though.

wzrd

Portland Street Auto Body is doing the work

He hasn't looked at the car in his shop yet though, he came to my house and gave it a diagnosis. It's going into the shop early next week, I'll swing by tomorrow and mention it to him and see if he agrees. I wouldn't be able to get a VF52 out of it either way though.
By chance is he one of the mcdanial brothers??  If so i know he has worked on some bad arse olde muscle cars but didnt know he did tuned subies..

DShane

Ya its Dale, the older of the two. He's got an 86 Grand National and a late 60's Camaro SS. He also knows more about subarus than anyone I've ever met. Guys a mechanical genius.

By chance is he one of the mcdanial brothers??  If so i know he has worked on some bad arse olde muscle cars but didnt know he did tuned subies..

IBratmanI

Well if he knows that much about Subarus, he will not put your used turbo on the new motor. 

DShane

He said he wanted to check the oil pan to see if any metal pieces had gotten into the oil at all. It spun a rod bearing though, so yes it would have shaved some metal off, but as soon as that piece broke the engine siezed and the car shut off, so I don't think that there would have been a chance for any metal pieces to get into the turbo at all. Once he removes the turbo lines and what not he'll further be able to verify it, but that's what he told me and I'll take his word over just about anyones. He's been my family's mechanic my whole life and I'd trust him over anyone else in the world to do this job.

Latest posts

Back