September Meet - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostinMaine

8/26/85 - 5/23/10
^ haha this will be interesting when i wake up in the morning
default_tongue.png

seriously good rant though,i live in central and southern maine i see both points but yeah i am even suggesting places that are ~3 hrs from me because i know it will be close to people that always get the shaft in location and it would be nice to give them a break sometime

Tyler

I'm a 'Southern' person, but I agree. I mean, yeah it is nice for us to only have to drive 30 minutes or so, but we DO have other members and a lot of you guys are being selfish about having to drive further to go to a meet! These northern members are missing out (or making their own meets) because we are being selfish and closed-minded about where the meets are. I say we make some Northern meets as well and those who are just going to cry and moan can a.) not go and keep crying and moaning, or b.) set up your own southern meet for all the other southern people who are going to cry and moan. I will admit, I haven't been to every Augusta meet we've had (or have I?), but I also didn't complain that it was too far away! It's only fair ... if you don't want to go, don't go ... it's as simple as that.

And on that note ...

default_tongue.png

topdeeni

I'm a 'Southern' person, but I agree. I mean, yeah it is nice for us to only have to drive 30 minutes or so, but we DO have other members and a lot of you guys are being selfish about having to drive further to go to a meet! These northern members are missing out (or making their own meets) because we are being selfish and closed-minded about where the meets are. I say we make some Northern meets as well and those who are just going to cry and moan can a.) not go and keep crying and moaning, or b.) set up your own southern meet for all the other southern people who are going to cry and moan. I will admit, I haven't been to every Augusta meet we've had (or have I?), but I also didn't complain that it was too far away! It's only fair ... if you don't want to go, don't go ... it's as simple as that.
And on that note ...

default_tongue.png
swish.....

I am still having a hard time defining what is north, south, east and.or west to Maine folk... I am not even sure what part of the state I live in...To me it is the western foothills of Maine, to other people I live up north, in the mountains or "wow, U live in the middle of friggin nowhere.." yet Portland is Southern maine to some people and I can reach it in a little over an hour.

<-------------soooooo confused.

& Yeah regional meets sound like they could B a solution... Poor Kristof tried for weeks to get some folk to take a drive, it ended up being me, the wife and Kristof tearing it up. I Still want to toss his kids in my pool and teach 'em to swim.

Other than the historical wedensday night thing I woukld have a meet at my place: big phat pool party, BBQ, parts swap and god forbid I get to see these cars under something besides a monster HPS in a parking lot; Im old so I like daylight. I am sure I can fit 30+ cars on the driveway and lawn, has to be a weekend though, I have kids....

Dammit, U could pack a lot of cars in my yard plus a ration of tents around the pool..I can even arrange accomodations and or camping spots for those who have an excessive drive, get stewed or are greater in yearly stature and would just like a place to rest. Just ask Lostinmaine, one of the first things he said when he saw my backyard was "dude, U could have a MS meet over here". I wouldn't mind doing it either, I have met some really great people off of this site and have no issues inviting them into my home.

& I think it would B fun to terrify the a neighbor I have. He restores older cars and sells them.... My subaru horrified him with all the piping, hosing, stuffed engine compartment and power that 4 cyliners of terror manage to generate; he does better RWD smokies though.

I soooooo just totally hijacked this thread.....now take me to the middle east or I will make the passengers eat airline food..

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristof

Banned
swish.....
I am still having a hard time defining what is north, south, east and.or west to Maine folk... I am not even sure what part of the state I live in...To me it is the western foothills of Maine, to other people I live up north, in the mountains or "wow, U live in the middle of friggin nowhere.." yet Portland is Southern maine to some people and I can reach it in a little over an hour.

<-------------soooooo confused.

& Yeah regional meets sound like they could B a solution... Poor Kristof tried for weeks to get some folk to take a drive, it ended up being me, the wife and Kristof tearing it up. I Still want to toss his kids in my pool and teach 'em to swim.

Other than the historical wedensday night thing I woukld have a meet at my place: big phat pool party, BBQ, parts swap and god forbid I get to see these cars under something besides a monster HPS in a parking lot; Im old so I like daylight. I am sure I can fit 30+ cars on the driveway and lawn, has to be a weekend though, I have kids....

Dammit, U could pack a lot of cars in my yard plus a ration of tents around the pool..I can even arrange accomodations and or camping spots for those who have an excessive drive, get stewed or are greater in yearly stature and would just like a place to rest. Just ask Lostinmaine, one of the first things he said when he saw my backyard was "dude, U could have a MS meet over here". I wouldn't mind doing it either, I have met some really great people off of this site and have no issues inviting them into my home.

+ 1000
default_additional_sad.gif
:sad:

perfect house and area for a meet. we can all hang out grill go swimming actually be bale to be social rather than having to sit in a seat the whole meet. plus we can have lunch then all go for a nice long drive someplace come back then get our drink on so we dotn have to mix drinking and driving. plus location wise he is closer for nothern people and still close for southerners

p.s. ill make sure not to bring my kids anywere close to your pool lol

LostinMaine

8/26/85 - 5/23/10
pool is fine its the hot tub you have to worry about

i keed i keed...

but yeah his place is perfect foor meets/drives plenty of photo ops, it would be nice to have an MS members photo on the front page, like at the rangley lake overlook

topdeeni

trust me they swim...

Id take tons of pixx and send them to the guys I know at WRS magazine. I would then threaten them with a similar meet next year for NEFR and provide them an invite to stay at my place: yeah I am really kewl with these guys. I am sure they would hang with us, take pictures and maybe just maybe put up a photo essay on a local subaru group attending NEFR...

I may even B able to get Sam from Xcelleration to visit with his psycho RS of it is done as well as some other folk I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
The thing is with the meet locations is this. South meets are portland. That is an hour and a half for me. North meets (L/A) are also about an hour and a half from me because lewiston is a bit north, and WAY west for me. Then there are the bangor meets which are way north east of me, and a good 2 and a half hour drive. I seem to be in the center of all the meetage...

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
The thing is with the meet locations is this. South meets are portland. That is an hour and a half for me. North meets (L/A) are also about an hour and a half from me because lewiston is a bit north, and WAY west for me. Then there are the bangor meets which are way north east of me, and a good 2 and a half hour drive. I seem to be in the center of all the meetage...
I'm with you on that one, we live about 10 minutes from eachother!!! Augusta wouldn't be terrible though

4WRXter

Skier!
I haven't read through this whole thread. But, here is an idea. Group drive on a Sun after Labor Day. Start later than we normally have in the past. End at someplace "centrally" located for dinner meet like we have on Wednesdays. That may help keep us all together to the end of the drive. I am probably the most guilty of leaving the drives early. I just can't justify driving to Auburn twice in a day.

With the 50+ person turnouts, it seems to me that a group drive with a lunch stop is going to be difficult. We just plain and simple need a pretty large place that can handle a large group. I didn't mind, but the cold hard fact is that it basically took 2 hrs to feed all of us at GridIron and there were a few snafus. (Again I personally think we are going to get that with such large groups). My point is a two hour lunch might disrupt the "flow".

How about starting in Auburn as usual, heading East-ish, and ending for dinner in Augusta?? Auburn and Augusta are within 1 1/2 - 2 hrs of the largest percentage of members unless I am mistaken. As Spin stated, I just don't go if the meets are too far for me, but I really have no problem driving the 1.5 - 2 hrs to the L/A meets. It seems most people from Portland (sorry Pedro and others south of there), Camden, Bangor (?Orono?), should be able to make L/A or Augusta.

Just a thought

RedForester08

So where and when. I off on vacation august 30th through September 8th. Meet in Augusta central enough. hell we met there once for a group drive then drove 300 more miles the same day. (Thanks Carl) So where ever and if I am off I eill be there. ( I work 4pm to Midnight)

Kristof

Banned
bootm line not everyone is goign to be happy it wont ever happen to we need to take the maine ideas make a poll and the winner is the winner. if some peopel dotn liek the results they can organize there own side thing. we are so spread out over the state with different idea no way everyone will be happy

Mark

Here is the last post before I lock this thread.

For those pissed that we are "ignoring" the north. THIS IS FOR OUR SOUTHERN MEET. We alternate people, figure it out. One meet south, the next north. For everyone who has ranted about ignoring this group or ignoring that, congrats. This is why we don't have group discussions for meets. Learn to be positive and not always think the world is out to get you. I will be posting about the final locations shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back