SiF Motorsports. A shitty legacy, nearly 10 years of RS racing turned rally car. Bonus jeep and mustnag junk

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
So I have test driven tons of cars and hated all of them. I love my RS but it's a boy racer. While I love rolling into work with the loud exhaust rumbling through the parking garage covered in mud with the light bar looking awesome, it was time to grow up. The impreza has served its purpose.

Enter:

2002 Legacy GT Limited earlier this summer for $600 dollars.

UVSgB.png

Motor was blown, high mileage, rust, it's a basket case. Good thing I like working on subarus.

20120526_131140.jpg

But Dan, I have some braincells to rub together! You're dollying that subaru!

haha jokes on you, I dropped the driveshaft in the guys yard after handing him a fist full of cash

Got it home and took some pictures of the initial damage;

20120527_121108.jpg

Rusty trunk

20120527_121116.jpg

Rusty inner door area

20120527_121144.jpg

Rusty fender

Dented front fender

20120527_121051.jpg

Day 1 did a tear down of the center console area and parts of the dash. It was filthy:

20120528_124541.jpg

Gross switches:

20120528_130206.jpg

Cutting up the rusty inner door area:

20120609_141442.jpg

New metal welded in:

20120610_182103.jpg

Sealed with chassis saver and waiting for a sanding and OEM color match spraybomb:

20120610_194727.jpg

Dumped in a motor I got off Mikey. Was very impressed with what he sold me. Good clean motor. Not garbage like OTHER PEOPLE ON HERE like to sell me. (seriously, Gabe, I'm still waiting for a 4.44 LSD diff that isn't garbage...)

Big thanks to Chris for helping me dump it into the shell.

20120623_172201.jpg

It runs:

20120623_211426.jpg

Upon install, we noticed someone jacked the car up by the transmission oil pan. This is bad. It bends up and crushes important shift things inside it.

First drive of the car, motor was great, but the car was stuck in third gear.

Drop the trans pan!

aMJdil.jpg

Broken solenoid.

uyhlnl.jpg

Bought a new one from pape and threw it in. The car had gears, but was bang shifting and staying in high gears. WTF

Pulled the codes and had a throttle position sensor issue. Swapped the throttle body off my dead ej25 that came with the car and the trans was sorted! Yay

After that it's chasing down the three check engine lights I had left. All of them evap related. I was told it was probably the filler neck, so I replaced that and the fuel valve.

UScQkl.jpg

New one painted with chassis saver:

2skMIl.jpg

Filler neck didn't clear the codes, but from what I'd read, it was possibly an electrical connector near the charcoal box.

Got brandy new all-seasons, because anything else is overkill for this POS.

02HxWl.jpg

Tires showed up in less than 24 hours from when I ordered them from tire rack.

So reading online, I found on legacygt most people had issues with evap shit due to terrible factory wiring, so I went looking.

V09Dml.jpg

zCNlbl.jpg

Strip the wiring loom off the solenoid valve stupid evap thing and found this:

uRV38l.jpg

Yep, there's your problem.

Fixed that, get in, clear codes. BAM. Three CEL's killed with one wire.

Fixed all the brakes, then time for a lunch break.

F6tz0l.jpg

Ripped the rear bumper off to fix some rust and paint stuff.

Took the car for a 20 mile drive.

AuhTDl.jpg

Also, this thing is slow as shit. 0-60 in 11.25 seconds according to the Torque app. Good thing I don't mind. I can't drive wrx's because I have little self control, my RS is borderline too fast.

Wait? what is that in the windshield of the legacy?

g06ce.jpg

A brand new MAINE STATE INSPECTION STICKER!!!

Car is done(-ish).

Got my sticker.

Put in my fender liners.

Cleaned the rims with laquer thinner to get the damn wierd gold off.

That night, benson messages me on GChat. Dude you coming to Autocross.

Well the RS rear suspension is very upset after NEFR and I just got the legacy stickered.

fudge IT

PGmGG.jpg

I autocrossed my new daily driver. All you babies with lame bolt on show cars wont even come play at an easy non car breaking autocross, yet I'll show up with a car I bought for 600 dollars, that I got stickered the day before. Step up your game guys.

And so the reason I built a new DD? I sold my Jeep cherokee because it was a pile and got terrible millage. I drove the RS half gutted for three months after doing a rallycross or two and never putting the interior back in expecting the cars I looked at to be good to go. Finally said eff it, I'll build a car myself.

The RS was nearing the end of it's point. It's off to bigger and better things. "but Dan, your legacy is an AUTOFAILOMATIC". I live in portland, commute down congress street and up and down hills, 5 speeds suck. I love my fat, comfortable, automatic legacy for spending at least 40 hours a month in a car on the clock.

"So whats up with the RS?"

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I'D LIKE TO FORMALLY ANNOUNCE THE CREATION OF!!!!!!!!!!

FAT CAT MOTORSPORTS

2013 I plan to race my shitty RS in the New England Forest Rally under the class of open light. It's going to be a crazy year, but I fully intend to make it to NEFR.

28L6F.jpg

fgeRg.jpg

xvubY.jpg

430652_3184772150970_1615766886_2600875_796237589_n.jpg

20120311_152932.jpg

Bfbbwl.jpg

6496233133_1194873aff_z.jpg

6496231783_a17421e344_z.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Sorry I've been a ghost the past few months, but between working 50-60 hours a week, moving to portland, prepping my XJ for sale, rebuilding a mustang motor and suspension, and helping prep a beater hundayi for my friends cross country travel to CA, I've been a busy dude.

urabusturbo

Nice work! I used to dislike this generation of the legacy but it has grown on me. IMO a slight drop and tint paired with some newer oem wheels would make this thing look classy as hell.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Nice work! I used to dislike this generation of the legacy but it has grown on me. IMO a slight drop and tint paired with some newer oem wheels would make this thing look classy as hell.
Same here, although working on a 3rd gen will never grow on me.

3rd gens definitely need bigger rims, 17" would probably be nice. 16" looks too small on such a big car with big wheel wells.

RedForester08

One word. AWESOME At least my sons 02 Lego is in awesome shape. Noisy motor but it runs good and is a five speed. As long as it gets him through college. SMCC Automotive program. Can't wait to see the RS in action again. Got to love the Bug Eye body style.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I am in agreement. I've got the mechanical down, the comfort mostly down, need to start on looks. Getting a replacement fenders and trunk this weekend hopefully. After that it's tint, BUT I'd like to replace my rear passenger glass as the one now has a huge scratch down it. I can drop it with H&R springs, but I travel so much I don't really want to do anything to diminish ride quality at all. I would like to get some OEM 17 rims to use as summers, but for now it's slam money into the RS to race it time.

glad the motor worked out
default_smile.png
ill give you another tps so you have a spare since the one on it was nfg
Yeah, I grabbed the one off the 191k mile dead stock motor, but the more spares the better!

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Drove to waltham mass because they had a fender and trunk:

hWDlel.jpg

NQOkbl.jpg

Top, origional trunk that I welded up and painted, it looks good, but the napa color match doesn't exactly match, and it would have rusted out after a winter, so new trunk:

vmA4hl.jpg

I dropped all that stuff off at my parents. My dad was helping a friend do rear struts on his beater forester:

TCaHIl.jpg

v2lTdl.jpg

So I jumped in and we powered through the strut job quickly. Then I went to a pig roast.

Today I swapped everything on. Old fender all dented to fudge:

KcsvLl.jpg

New fender installed:

4M3Ihl.jpg

Legacy now has 1000k+ miles under my ownership.

I also gutted more interior out of the RS:

iJIPjl.jpg

And when I went to change back into street clothes, the mascot didn't want to let me:

fh3xbl.jpg

Latest posts

Back