STi EJ257 short block going in!

Ryan

Just under 250whp / 300tq (it was hotter than hell out during the tune)
default_rolleyes.gif

-=Lobstah=-

Looks good as new. Of course now its just better than new now. Glad its up and running. Now the sucky part you have to be good to her for the break in. I am hedging bets right now. If Ryan were to go to a Dyno he would make

305 awhp and 325 awhp tq on a Mustang Dyno.
Shouldve taken you up on that bet
default_smile.png

diabloadsit

I still don't trust this "road tune" whp/tq number.

Now the tune done on the road is the way to go far as a good finsher. Most good tuners will use the dyno to get the car pretty much there. Then the road tune to make sure the car reacts the same on the road as it does on the dyno.

I have been through about 5 protunes all of which we have followed up with a road test and tweak. All of which I have set in the passengers seat and held the tuners laptop for them. As steady as possible as the beat the piss out of the car and check for any knock or anything.

Lets say the "Road Dyno" is pretty close. The TQ number looks pretty good. not to far off my mark. Now the HP is another thing.

What was the 02' wrx rated at far as HP from the factory anyways?

woodys77

I still don't trust this "road tune" whp/tq number. Now the tune done on the road is the way to go far as a good finsher. Most good tuners will use the dyno to get the car pretty much there. Then the road tune to make sure the car reacts the same on the road as it does on the dyno.

I have been through about 5 protunes all of which we have followed up with a road test and tweak. All of which I have set in the passengers seat and held the tuners laptop for them. As steady as possible as the beat the piss out of the car and check for any knock or anything.

Lets say the "Road Dyno" is pretty close. The TQ number looks pretty good. not to far off my mark. Now the HP is another thing.

What was the 02' wrx rated at far as HP from the factory anyways?
its only a tdo4.....give it some credit.lol

Ryan

Like night and day compared to the 2.0L that's for sure. The torque feels nice
default_smile.png

As far as the road dyno numbers, he has tested his road graph numbers to dyno numbers and they are always within 3 points or so with each other. That's pretty impressive I'd say.

250whp/300tq at 17.5 psi has the TD04 at it's max power potential. He was pretty impressed with how the car performed with it.

Ryan

^That was the best part about this entire tune, absolutely NO signs of knock! (even with the base map he had sent me via email before the road tune). He was pretty shocked to see this since almost every Hybrid motor he sees shows some degree of knocking. Hybrid motors are prone to knocking. The entire tune went so smoothly with no problems anywhere whatsoever. The car is super healthy and happy
default_smile.png

Ryan

Well, I've been borrowing iaghtnoob's Tactrix cable when I needed logs... but I really need to get my own cable.

woodys77

try logging when you get gas at random stations, it might scare you. Ive found shell to be the worst gas around i filled up there and did a log i had -8.6 kc at wot.
default_smile.png
default_wink.png

diabloadsit

I am glad it is running well for you man.

I thought the early wrx's threw down more power than that at the wheel stock.

Nate

Founding Father
Yah, Its only a 2.5l (hybrid) motor with a TD04. Its not Magic.

On a side note. I'm reading you're running a hybrid setup. Meaning you have your old 2.0l heads on the 2.5l block? that's not really a EJ257 block then..

The last numbers correspond to version heads that are on the block. Meaning the "EJ" series motor, "25" 2.5l block, and "7" is a 7th revision heads. I run a EJ257 block with dual AVCS. Im guessing you don't have that setup.

Ryan

Nope no AVCS.

All builds similar to what I did are considered EJ257 Hybrids. There is the EJ255 short block which uses a different domed piston, then their is the EJ257 short block.

BG @ BrenTuning

Custom Tuning ECUs
Ding Ryan wins. The only diffrence in the EJ255 and EJ257 name are the pistons not the heads. Only cars 07 and down that run AVCS are the STI and I believe the Legacy GT that is it. 08' sti's have the duel AVCS on intake and exhaust. Which the wrx's don't have on 08' and above.
That is incorrect, ALL 2.5L USDM turbo cars had AVCS. And the EJ255 had slight different cams and heads as well.

BG @ BrenTuning

Custom Tuning ECUs
For those that don't trust road tunes please look into the extensive history of the airboy sheet and how proven it is. It reads 4hp lower then PSi's Dynapack, and a whopping 10HP lower the ESP's mustang dyno. Both done same day. I've verified this with over 10 different Subarus.

Let alone the other 1000 people using Airboy
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back