Summer tire thoughts

WRXav8r

You Mr. Vinyl Guy.... Can dig through the tires if you want but only after 5pm.... that's the rules... But I will tell Jeff you are stopping buy.... just remember to stack them back up when you are done.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
You Mr. Vinyl Guy.... Can dig through the tires if you want but only after 5pm.... that's the rules... But I will tell Jeff you are stopping buy.... just remember to stack them back up when you are done.
I will plan for tomorrow then. as well. I have to run around tonight and register the rex.

You working tomorrow Jim?

Trevor723

I put the Azenis on my car in August last year. I was pretty impressed with them, not all that noisy (completely subjective, but I didn't notice much road noise) I didn't have any problems in wet weather unless it was a deluge and cold, in which case I could break loose even in 3rd on route 1.
default_wink.png
Last tire I was running was the BFG KDW-2. I was not that impressed at all with those overall, but they were amazing as advertised in the wet. Dry handling was slightly above average, but I did consider that a noisy tire.

Price wise I found the Azenis online for $104/tire for 225/45 17s. I believe I paid like $130 for the BFGs. I don't see how you can beat the Azenis for a summer tire for the price.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I put the Azenis on my car in August last year. I was pretty impressed with them, not all that noisy (completely subjective, but I didn't notice much road noise) I didn't have any problems in wet weather unless it was a deluge and cold, in which case I could break loose even in 3rd on route 1.
default_wink.png
Last tire I was running was the BFG KDW-2. I was not that impressed at all with those overall, but they were amazing as advertised in the wet. Dry handling was slightly above average, but I did consider that a noisy tire.

Price wise I found the Azenis online for $104/tire for 225/45 17s. I believe I paid like $130 for the BFGs. I don't see how you can beat the Azenis for a summer tire for the price.
which Azenis are you speaking of? RT615?

EvilAsPie

All this talk about summer tires and the crazy temps lately has got me thinking about summer cruising w/the windows down, and of course auto-x. I was so bummed i missed last summer because of my ankle and then all the work my car needed. I plan to hit the auto-x seen pretty hard this coming summer. As soon as taxes come back and i get my yearly stip i will be in the market for a set of light 17s and some sticky rubber.

I'm still an auto-x novice so i don't need an expensive r-compound tire. I'd like to get something i can drive all summer, daily and on auto-x days, that will be decent in the rain, and not wear out too fast. I drive about 50+ miles a day just back and forth to work, so i guess wear will be kinda hard.

Are those Azenis a good middle of road tire like what i'm looking for?

Tyler

I'm gunna need some new ones, I run the BFG GForce KDW2s and although they're damn noisy, they look sick, and handle very nicely >
default_wink.png

Trevor723

They aren't really a middle of the road tire more of a max performance. Only 200 treadwear, so they'll wear faster than most, especially if you're going to auto x them with any kind of regularity.

Tyler

True, I guess, on the auto-x, but they're the longest lasting tires I've had. 2 summers plus there's still tread left, although, I have a lot less power than most of you.

Trevor723

True, I guess, on the auto-x, but they're the longest lasting tires I've had. 2 summers plus there's still tread left, although, I have a lot less power than most of you.
Sorry.. I was talking about the rt615s. The KDW are much more of a middle of the road tire and are much more durable. Treadwear on those is 300. Don't expect to be blown away on the auto x but they will get you around ok. For comparison the RE92 treadwear is 160 and the re070 is 140.

R

redlinerally

As soon as taxes come back and i get my yearly stip i will be in the market for a set of light 17s and some sticky rubber.
I am thinking of selling my Rota SDR's (currently purple, but being powdercoated this winter) they are not YET coated, so I'd prefer to sell them and have the buyer pick a color from Antonio.

With a kid on the way, I've gotta get back to earth.
default_wink.png

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I am thinking of selling my Rota SDR's (currently purple, but being powdercoated this winter) they are not YET coated, so I'd prefer to sell them and have the buyer pick a color from Antonio.

With a kid on the way, I've gotta get back to earth.
default_wink.png

TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!! HAHAHA! sorry...

EvilAsPie

They aren't really a middle of the road tire more of a max performance. Only 200 treadwear, so they'll wear faster than most, especially if you're going to auto x them with any kind of regularity.
I guess i'm not really looking for a true middle of road tire as far as performance goes, but a middle of road tire as far as between r-compound slicks and normal performance tires. I'd like to get something that is definitely max performance, not too bad in the rain, not too bad on wear, and would be comfertable for auto-x. Again, still new to auto-x so i don't need dedicated auto-x tires, but there's no way i'm racing my all season again.

I've read good things about the Azenis, and for the price i can't beat it. Unless you guys think there is something better for this type of use out there...

Rightseat

the Azenis ride like solid rubber, stick like glue in the dry, skate around in the wet (hydroplane city), and wear like they started at 1/3 tread depth. If that sounds "middle of the road" to you then go for it.

Pirelli Pzero Nero is an awesome all-around performance tire choice--decent stick wet or dry, great wear, true all-conditions tread compound/tread pattern, and quiet/long-lasting to boot. My buddy Erik had them on his wicked JDM Evo and they were simply amazing. Not sexay according to the autoX crowd but then again, they can't see past the next set of cones!
default_redface.gif

of course you guys realize that you are killing this winter by engaging in this discussion in mid-January..... :
default_redface.gif

EvilAsPie

I did a little reading about the Neros. The seam to be about what i'm looking for. They really don't look like most max performance tires. More like all seasons, but the rubber compound must be a lot differnet to let them stick like they do. This must be also what makes them so great in the rain. But i really don't care what they look like, i really try to be a form for function type of person, which is why i spent way to much for JDM tail lights...
default_redface.gif
There are expections for everthing though.

Anyway thanks for the tip on the Neros, highly considering them for this summer.

of course you guys realize that you are killing this winter by engaging in this discussion in mid-January..... :
default_redface.gif
We're not killing winter. Winter has killed itself. Days are still in the 40s here with grass everywhere!!

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Mrs. Pedro had Nitto Neo Gen tires on her previous Gli. They were really great tires on the highway, quiet and very confident. I would buy them if I wasn't looking for a higher performance tire.

You may want to check them out. Discount tire has them and they are cheep

Latest posts

Back