The Mainely survivalists thread

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Anybody here consider themselves a survivalist?

I always loved camping with my family while growing up (35 foot 5th wheel..) but this summer I had my first tenting experience, south branch pond in Baxter. Since then Ive sort of taken a rather large intrest in more roughing it types of living/camping/weekend adventure.. Whatever.

Im sure theres people here who have backpacked/tented for years, well heres the place to chat about it.

I want to make quite a few weekend backpacking adventures in the maine woods this summer, so the past few weeks ive started assembling what would double as a "bug out bag" in the inevidable zombie apocalypse..

Its a Forgotten brand military style assault pack with...

-S.o.g jungle primitive pigsticker tied to a shoulder strap, sharpener and firestarter in the sheaths pocket

-U.s/Euro folding entrenching tool with neat sheath type thing tied to a side

-Folding knife and multi-tool

-2 Flashlights+batterys.

-A few bic lighters and waterproof matches

-2 55 gallon contractor bags and a few ziplock baggies

-100 feet o.d green paracord

-30 tealights

-Coleman single burner stove for one pound cyls

that's what I have for now. I plan on getting first aid, 10x10 tarp, wool blanket, camelback insert, tactical hatchet, water purification, a solar or shake up flashlight, change of warm waterproof and light waterpoof clothes, a dry bag, small duffelbag, a spanish canteen or two, ass wiping things, cookware, and it would have some canned/freezedried foods in it depending on length of excursion.

So, let the dicussion begin!

Last edited by a moderator:

inski

I think everyone has a little 'survivalist' in them. Me, not much but I like learning a little about a lot of different things. In the end there will always be something I can do to make a living. If there is a collapse of structure I feel we'll all do what we need to do. For many of us we'll just step back a few decades and become farmers and tradesmen to put food on the table. Hard living doesn't necessarily mean bad or unhappy living. I like gardening and wood working. I suppose that's what I'll be doing if the poop hits the fan. There are a few abandoned houses around here. If they take mine I'll just move into one of those. Hopefully somewhere closer to a water source. I have to walk 200+ yards to lug my water buckets now.
default_biggrin.png

MAINIAC XV

The Eco Man
Or just be smart about it. The most likely senerio would be war over in the middle east. People will freak out and clean out the food stores. Keep a supply of non perishable food at your home . This should keep you going until things settle down and get back to normal. Whatever that is.

SoMeWRX

Will I am always down to head out into the woods if you want. I have worked for years off and on as a wilderness survival instructor, hunter/firearms instructor, bowhunting instructor etc. etc. I could help you set up a survivalist weekend if you want. I used to use it as a final challenge for some of my students. They are pretty fun to do but you need someone to keep track of you. Basically you head out with nothing but a few matches, knife, sleeping bag, twine, and something to carry water in. Season appropriate clothing of course. Usually a little rice or oatmeal. Then just survive. Build a shelter, set traps, fish, cruise around the woods etc.

Also, add a small mirror to your pack. And find an old tin from some altoids or something. Go out and find a kind of whitish mushroom that grows on dead trees, usually pines. Scrape off a bit and put it in the tin, let it dry out before your next trip. Poke a hole in the top and bottom of the tin. If you light a small piece of the mushroom it will hold an ember for many hours. Helpful if your fire goes out over night or you have to move sites and do not have enough fire starting devices.

As for Rob's comment above, I agree. Peak Oil is an overblown theory but I think it is not too far off track.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Anybody here consider themselves a survivalist?

I always loved camping with my family while growing up (35 foot 5th wheel..) but this summer I had my first tenting experience, south branch pond in Baxter. Since then Ive sort of taken a rather large intrest in more roughing it types of living/camping/weekend adventure.. Whatever.

Im sure theres people here who have backpacked/tented for years, well heres the place to chat about it.

I want to make quite a few weekend backpacking adventures in the maine woods this summer, so the past few weeks ive started assembling what would double as a "bug out bag" in the inevidable zombie apocalypse..

Its a Forgotten brand military style assault pack with...

-S.o.g jungle primitive pigsticker tied to a shoulder strap, sharpener and firestarter in the sheaths pocket

-U.s/Euro folding entrenching tool with neat sheath type thing tied to a side

-Folding knife and multi-tool

-2 Flashlights+batterys.

-A few bic lighters and waterproof matches

-2 55 gallon contractor bags and a few ziplock baggies

-100 feet o.d green paracord

-30 tealights

-Coleman single burner stove for one pound cyls

that's what I have for now. I plan on getting first aid, 10x10 tarp, wool blanket, camelback insert, tactical hatchet, water purification, a solar or shake up flashlight, change of warm waterproof and light waterpoof clothes, a dry bag, small duffelbag, a spanish canteen or two, ass wiping things, cookware, and it would have some canned/freezedried foods in it depending on length of excursion.

So, let the dicussion begin!
If you plan to do any primitive camping or hiking, that list will have to change. You have ~20lbs worth of tactical nonsense in your pack. Then you have an outdated and uncomfortable pack. Ditch the propane stove for something refillable like that Coleman 442. A tank of that will last you days with the ability to refill from light weight MSR fuel cans. ditch the tea lights and extra flashlights for a single hand held light and a headlight (using the same battery type). Don't buy a regular tarp, get one of the ultralite camping tarps. ditch the wool blanket for a decent sleeping bag. Don't take canned food, the cans are heavy. use dehydrated meals (they are easy to make) heat them on your stove with water. The entrenching tool is heavy, get a plastic trowel (fiskars makes a nice one in the gardening section of HD) for your defecating activities. For winter, pick up a light weight 3pc shovel (the entrenching tool sucks in the snow).

If you are going to hike to your location, make your pack light. Focus on getting some good footwear, that can save you many agonizing miles. Pick up a light weight tent, swing through The North Face and LLBean in freeport to check out the backpacking goods. In maine you can get by with a hennessy hammock (covered hammock super comfortable and off the ground).

If you are looking at the 'bug out' aspect, be real with yourself and what your plan is:

1: Where are you bugging out to? ( Parents place. Cabin, nice spot in the middle of nowhere)

3: Why are you bugging out? (Weather emergency, civil unrest, getting away from civilization)

3: How are you going to get there? (Does your why prevent you from using a car?)

4: What provisions are available at your destination?

5: How long will it take you to walk there?

6: What is the bare minimum you need to get there?

7: Weather (winter, Summer clothing needs?)

SoMeWRX

In maine you can get by with a hennessy hammock (covered hammock super comfortable and off the ground).
Yuck, awful advice. Hammocks are cool if you're just farting around or its nice and warm, but they are the greatest culprit for body heat loss and hence energy loss during the night. The reason being that when you are in the air you have 360degrees of body heat loss. Does not matter if its covered or you spent crazy extra money that companies like Hennessy want you to spend on special bubble pads and insulation gimmicks, its just not very practical. With a pad, on the ground, you are insulated by the pad. The ground will still suck some heat from under you but add a few layers of leaves or pine boughs and you can mitigate easily. Spend $50 on a pad from beans and save the $400 you would spend on a hammock/cover/insulation pad/dignity. Plus you have to choose your spot based on two objects to hang the hammock from which is not very useful if you cant.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Yuck, awful advice. Hammocks are cool if you're just farting around or its nice and warm, but they are the greatest culprit for body heat loss and hence energy loss during the night. The reason being that when you are in the air you have 360degrees of body heat loss. Does not matter if its covered or you spent crazy extra money that companies like Hennessy want you to spend on special bubble pads and insulation gimmicks, its just not very practical. With a pad, on the ground, you are insulated by the pad. The ground will still suck some heat from under you but add a few layers of leaves or pine boughs and you can mitigate easily. Spend $50 on a pad from beans and save the $400 you would spend on a hammock/cover/insulation pad/dignity. Plus you have to choose your spot based on two objects to hang the hammock from which is not very useful if you cant.
I have not had the same experience. It is far easier in Maine to find two trees within 20' of each other than even ground (unless you are talking campground stuff). Even in the cold of late fall. I just toss a sleeping bag in, and I'm good to go. But as many things it is all about preference.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Ill add/remove stuff from my pack once i have some time camping with it, and i know what i need to add or what i should probably take out because its just taking up space. Trial and error seems like the best way to get something set like that.

Dylan, that's good to know about your skills/training. I may just be in touch in the spring/summer, and that's good info about the shroomies! Ill have to take a stroll and see if i can find what your talking about.

Anyone care to share some storys/experiences from the wilderness?

Do you prep?

Whats in your bug out bag, and of you have a get home bag.. Whats in that?

Whats the single most important thing (in your opinion) to know about wilderness survival?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Les Stroud type of survival? or are you talking going camping?

I have a "get home" bag in the trunk along with trunk gear.

Shell Jacket

warmth layer

Boots (seasonal. winter comes with gaiters)

Snow shovel

Flashlight

Oil

Spare serp belt

Zip Ties

Bungee cords

mini compressor

Then the bag:

Zilla tool (basically a pair of pliers with a screwdriver and blade)

2 granola bars

1 litre of water

phone charger (battery pack)

tiny med kit

surefire G2 LED

med tape

Benadryl

couple that with my EDC:

leather gloves

Sunglasses

Sharpie

iPhone

folding knife of some sort

From that I can get home in 10-12hrs even if I don't make it out of the parking lot with the car. Otherwise I can unstuck, fix, limp the car home depending on the failure.

i-wagon

I have my car semi loaded for bug out. Gerber machete/saw, mre,first aid kit, since tools, shorty roof bar (demo tool) 50'para cord, spare mags and ammo for my carry gun. Get to dads with that, depending on why I'm bugging out, either grab the remington 870 and keep moving or stay there and kill my own food. Got enough wood we can stay warm 2 seasons without cutting more

my daily loadout includes spyderco, surefire g2 and certainly not a glock. Plus a lighter for my smokes

Last edited by a moderator:

inski

I'll never bug out. I love my bed. Seriously. I spent a good part of my younger life sleeping on the ground, in tanks, in bombed out buildings, dog houses, snow caves, under cars, in cars, on the sides of cliffs. I'll stay home thanks. Someday I might migrate south. Somewhere with fishing, gardening/Farming, and warm weather 100% of the time.

So, you guys with a bug out plan, where are you going? You have the potential to travel one tank of gas or 350 miles. Is that really going to be far enough if you have a reason to skeedaddle? WHo here has passports?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I'll never bug out. I love my bed. Seriously. I spent a good part of my younger life sleeping on the ground, in tanks, in bombed out buildings, dog houses, snow caves, under cars, in cars, on the sides of cliffs. I'll stay home thanks. Someday I might migrate south. Somewhere with fishing, gardening/Farming, and warm weather 100% of the time.

So, you guys with a bug out plan, where are you going? You have the potential to travel one tank of gas or 350 miles. Is that really going to be far enough if you have a reason to skeedaddle? WHo here has passports?
More like Bug in. I have what I need to get home short of civil unrest and bridges closing.

Passport, active Visas, ect.

inski

I think passports are important. They are good for a long time. New Zealand is an awesome place to disappear.

HR radness

His royal radness
If you are looking at the 'bug out' aspect, be real with yourself and what your plan is:

1: Where are you bugging out to? ( Parents place. Cabin, nice spot in the middle of nowhere)

3: Why are you bugging out? (Weather emergency, civil unrest, getting away from civilization)

3: How are you going to get there? (Does your why prevent you from using a car?)

4: What provisions are available at your destination?

5: How long will it take you to walk there?

6: What is the bare minimum you need to get there?

7: Weather (winter, Summer clothing needs?)
Jets dont need keys to start, I'll wave as I go ...wherever:)

Latest posts

Back