The Official MS Bike Talk Thread - motors need not apply

mikebike357

Sweet! Now you need some studded 29er tires to go ride in the snow!
default_smile.png

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
If anyones interested, I have a 08 or 09 we the people addict bmx bike for sale

"built"

Shadow conspiracy big bars 8.5 or 8.75" with shadow grips

Rouge status pivitol seat and post

Primo tenderizer alum pedals

Primo kamikaze v.2 fork

Oddyssy twombolt cranks and bb

Oddyssy aitken front tire

Shadow conspiracy half link chain

The frames "raspberry" and the seat, bars, fork, cranks, and chain are white.

Id like 300... But that's probably too steep. Shoot me an offer if interested, ive gotten too big to ride bmx
default_tongue.png

I would also trade for any kona "stinky" frame with shock.

mikebike357

Studded 29er tires arrived today. Just in time for this warm weather. Now I just have to wait for the temp to drop so it can freeze solid.

inski

question:

Son wants a mountain bike. Spending limit is 400 bucks. He likes the 29er concept and tried one at Dicks. Is there a shop out there where I can get an 18-19in bike with 29s, disc brakes, comfy seat, good forks?

He also liked the hybrid road going mountain bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:

brighton

Rally Fluffer
question:

Son wants a mountain bike. Spending limit is 400 bucks. He likes the 29er concept and tried one at Dicks. Is there a shop out there where I can get an 18-19in bike with 29s, disc brakes, comfy seat, good forks?

He also liked the hybrid road going mountain bikes.

I bought mine a few months ago from bikesdirect.com. Some serious cyclest snub their noses at the site. But I gOt a great bike for the price. 29er with upgraded hardware for $550 with free ship. Way. Better imo then the DB at dicks. I checked that one out too before hand.

inski

Yesterday we visited a bunch of bike stores. Rainbow in Auburn. Roy's in Lewiston. Gorham Bike and Ski in Portland. Earmie's in Westbrook. My son is hunting down a 29er mountain bike. Found a nice Trek at Rainbow. There was a better deal at Gorham Bike and Ski on a Specialized 29er. There wasn't anything to brag about at Earnie's but they showed us pics of what should be coming in this week. Theres a GT coming we can not over look.

Back in the 80s I used to build Connondale and Vita road bikes. After looking at all the scrumptious hardware yesterday I have a strong urge to get me a road bike. I haven't raced since 1989. My brother and I used to do triathlons. My wife says I'm too far gone for that stuff!
default_additional_old.gif
default_additional_lol2.gif
Maybe my son will let be try his 29er.
default_biggrin.png

inski

wanted

Looking for a mountain bike. 18in/medium frame. A 29er would be nice but I know its a long shot . My son needs something to hit the trails with this summer and he is going to bring it to college next fall. So, it can't be nice enough to attract thieves, but needs a little performance so it wont piss him off out in the woods.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
So I have a question about my bike, and I guess someone on here might know what's up with it.

I replaced the chain on my bike some time over the summer because I ride it hard and break chains from time to time.

I took it out the other day because it was nice and warm, I wanted to go on a ride.

But whenever I pedal the chain is slipping on the back gears. If I watch it, the chain actually jumps up off the teeth and then grabs again. In all but the two biggest chain rings. What the heck is wrong here? Is the cassette toast, or is it a derailer adjustment that I have wrong? I broke that over the summer too, and replaced it with a different one. Apparently it's a nice model, I know nothing about bikes though... Just how to fix most things that I destroy in the woods.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
you need a new cassette (the gears on the back)

They wore to the stretched chain and are now not working with the new chain.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
you need a new cassette (the gears on the back)

They wore to the stretched chain and are now not working with the new chain.
Ah, that makes sense. The teeth are really narrow with big gaps between them...

Fortunately my uncle gave me a 9speed cassette, shifter, and the special spline tool to take the whole thing apart. I'll probably replace the wheel bearings while I'm in there. Hopefully it's not as much of an ordeal like the front.. apparently needed some special cap that was expensive and hard to find... Fortunately, only one ball bearing jumped into the depths of my messy garage

I'll gave to pick up a 9speed chain now.

I also want to service my cranks, but the parts are damn near impossible to find. Like they don't exist in the whole country, impossible to find...

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
you won't get in to bearings when replacing the cassette. That splined tool takes off the cap and the cassette slides off.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Ah, ok. But once that's off, it should be somewhat easy to open it up and check the bearings, right?

I've never had a back wheel apart before. My uncle gave me the bike, and gives me pretty much all the parts I need to fix it.

He's won the NJ state champion a few years in a row, and still an avid rider. So he has lots of parts.

So I basically learn how to fix things when I destroy them. Fortunately I have a full set of 9speed stuff I can swap on.

For some thread content, here's my fabulous bike... crappy pic, but it's an awesome bike.

img_2199.jpg

GMan

Ah, ok. But once that's off, it should be somewhat easy to open it up and check the bearings, right?

I've never had a back wheel apart before. My uncle gave me the bike, and gives me pretty much all the parts I need to fix it.

He's won the NJ state champion a few years in a row, and still an avid rider. So he has lots of parts.

So I basically learn how to fix things when I destroy them. Fortunately I have a full set of 9speed stuff I can swap on.

For some thread content, here's my fabulous bike... crappy pic, but it's an awesome bike.

img_2199.jpg
Holy Schnikkies! Timewarp! Are those biopace chainrings?

Gotta get my Lightspeed Ti tuned for the season. Needs a new chain.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Holy Schnikkies! Timewarp!

Are those biopace chainrings?
I have no idea what that means... I can take a closer picture. Front or back chainrings (or does chainring only imply front?)?

Clearly I know very little about bike parts, etc. I can ride up a storm, and when things break I can look through by box of spare bike parts and almost always have the right part to fix it.

It's getting nice out, I'm itching to go riding. Hopefully when bikes start coming out of hibernation we can all go ride through the woods or something. I miss doing that. Stupid winter...

GMan

Biopace chainrings were used in the 90's and discontinued around the beginning of the twenty-first century. They are slighly ovalized to suppossedly give you mor umphh when you pedal. Obviously they weren't as good as they thoughtbecause they are now round again. What year is the bike? I haven't seen a slingshot in years. Not since my racing days. Nice bike.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Thanks! I have no idea what year it is. After I get my stupid car running I'm going fix the bike up. So I'll take some more detailed pictures, there's probably something a trained eye could see to figure out the year.

I didn't know that about chainrings! That's really interesting, I'll take a closer look at them.

The bottom teeth on the big chainring when the pedal is forward are all worn down and abused from being ridden over rocks and stuff for so many years. It was like that when I got it, doesn't really cause a problem though, I don't use that one much anyway unless I'm using the bike for road commuting.

GMan

I would also have that tention cable checked out. Check boom tube and rear triangle; checking for cracks in the welds. Look for rust inside of tubing especially around the seatpost. If it's chromoly and I believe it is these can rust from the inside out; significantly weakening the tubing. Just a little safety 101.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I didn't know about the rusting inside out. Sounds like my subaru.

The cable is fine though. I'm a sailor, and it looks exactly like boat rigging, hardware and the cable. It's stainless steel hardware and wire (great for weight savings. haha). But it's in nice shiny condition. The spring is a valve spring from an engine, and it's looking fine too.

I'll definitely have to check the mounts on the bike for cracks though, I'd rather re-weld them now than have to do it after they break.

Latest posts

Back