The Official MS Bike Talk Thread - motors need not apply

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
So apparently, one doesn't just put a 9speed cassette on a 7speed hub. 9speed is wider, so it doesn't work. But I did find out that I can run only 8 of the 9 gears and it works perfectly. Shifts fine and all that stuff. It's missing the 2nd smallest gear, so shifting from smallest to the next size up I have go a bit easy on it. But I don't use that gear unless I'm cruising on the road anyway. So it's not really a problem.

And the biggest gear is HUGE! It's bigger than my smallest front chainring. It's crazy, I could ride up a tree.

mikebike357

damn!!!! A Slingshot!!! There's one of those in the MTB Hall of Fame if I'm not mistaken!

For those looking for 29ers on the cheap... Bikesdirect.com is a pretty sweet deal if you're not looking to spend a lot but yet get a lot. Personally, I wouldn't buy one of the WalMart or Dick's bikes eventhough they're cheap. For Trek bikes... check out Trek of Portsmouth. Pete Mead is the Asst Mgr there and he's really helpful. Last time I checked they had some leftover 2011's kicking around on sale. Plus... there's the whole sales tax thing...
default_wink.png

Riding is great right now. Not too muddy!

brighton

Rally Fluffer
damn!!!! A Slingshot!!! There's one of those in the MTB Hall of Fame if I'm not mistaken!

For those looking for 29ers on the cheap... Bikesdirect.com is a pretty sweet deal if you're not looking to spend a lot but yet get a lot. Personally, I wouldn't buy one of the WalMart or Dick's bikes eventhough they're cheap. For Trek bikes... check out Trek of Portsmouth. Pete Mead is the Asst Mgr there and he's really helpful. Last time I checked they had some leftover 2011's kicking around on sale. Plus... there's the whole sales tax thing...
default_wink.png

Riding is great right now. Not too muddy!
I'm

Super happy with mine.

mikebike357

About to start in on a bike build... picking up a used On-One Scandal 29er frame on the cheap and going to make it into the Ice Cream Run/Backup MTB bike. Pics soon.

saabaru

About to start in on a bike build... picking up a used On-One Scandal 29er frame on the cheap and going to make it into the Ice Cream Run/Backup MTB bike. Pics soon.
Mike, wanna do some work on my Giant. new rings, cogs chain. Sold the Bianchi, so I can use that cash to fix up the mountain bike. LMK

nhmtns

Just discovered this thread - glad there's so much cycling interest. Did a lot of riding this winter, but the studdeds are off and the trails are drying quickly in this area!

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Soo I used to be quite the avid mtbr, but strayed off into bmx. I eventually got to be too big to ride those dinky bikes so now im looking to get another mtb hopefully before summer. What id be looking for in a bike is trigger shifters, f/r disks, f/r suspention between 5 and 6" light enough to be tossed around but rugged enough to be tossed around too. Ive been out of the mtb scene for quite a few years so im not sure of where to shop or what brands to look for. Would a decent bike be attainable for around 400$? I wouldent turn down a hardtail as lo ng as it has plenty of fork

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
You ate basically asking for a freeride bike under $400. You could do it in the used market but not new. I would sell you my downhill bike for $400 it meets your asks other than the super light part.

mikebike357

Here's my current project...

Picked up a used On-One Scandal 29er frame and started loading it up with the parts I took off the old 26" bikes. Using the rigid fork that came with my Singular frame. This will be the backup MTB but mainly the icecream run bike with the trail-a-bike attached. Build will end up being a 1x9. Need to find some skinny, less knobby tires (currently has a pair of studded Nokian's on), and an Avid 180mm front caliper mount.

Scandal.jpg

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
You ate basically asking for a freeride bike under $400. You could do it in the used market but not new. I would sell you my downhill bike for $400 it meets your asks other than the super light part.
What kind of bike is it? I had an ironhorse dh bike forever ago, regret selling it.

mikebike357

It's my dads... he's done with 26" bikes... unless it's a fatbike in which case it's ok because the O.D. on the tire is essentially a 29"

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
So today I found out I have to replace my crank bearings. My bike is a very, very weird setup. With caps that screw into the crank tube thing that hold axial thrust sealed ball bearings. And whoever assembled the bike put it together backwards. The right side is left hand threaded, and the left side is right hand threaded. As a result one side was coming loose and that caused it to screw the bearings over. At least it's going to be an easy fix, fixing a lot of stuff on my bike has been weird just because it's a weird design that didn't sell well...

inski

Finally! My son got surelyOBS's single speed rockhopper. He didn't like it so he got a Fuji 29er, and I bought the Rockhopper. I'm kind of excited about being on a bike again. No triathlons for me now a days, but probably some cool trails Mike told us about near where we live at the state park.

mikebike357

I have a set of 2006 Mavic Aksium Race road wheels fo' sale if anyone is interested. They have about 3300 miles on them. Rear was serviced last summer. I just checked out and lubed the front becuase it was making a little noise every now and then. Both spin nicely and are true.

8-9-10sp Shimano freehub

Silver rim w/ silver spokes @ silver hub

There's currently a set of Michelin Krylion Carbon on 'em, front has lots of life left, rear is worn, but still has some life left.

$150

Latest posts

Back