The Official MS Bike Talk Thread - motors need not apply

mikebike357

I'm in for the Dempsey 100 miler again this year. Just got back from the Alps so I have high altitude lungs, a couple days of hiking, and one road ride under my belt. Riding in the Alps is spectacular if you like climbing... did about 3700ft in 9 miles. All UP UP UP UP and UP. Coming back down was fun... hitting 40+ mph on twisty roads hoping the brakes don't overheat. EEch!

Ted - any mtb rides this week? Today looks a little soggy but the rest of the week looks decent. I still need to wash the Bradbury 12 muck off my bike. Wife and kids are still in Italy so I'm free to ride just about any time!

ShagginWagon

Ted - any mtb rides this week? Today looks a little soggy but the rest of the week looks decent. I still need to wash the Bradbury 12 muck off my bike. Wife and kids are still in Italy so I'm free to ride just about any time!
I think the Rage guys are in SoPo tonight. I need to swing by the shop with the road bike and snag new brake pads and a 90mm stem. Might be able to get out Friday night for a MTB ride- I'll post it if so.

That trip sounds awesome. I may see you out on the 100 loop, but I doubt I'll be able to hang. Not a lot of road miles in my legs.

mikebike357

well if you want someone to ride with on the 100, let me know. I will most likely be solo.
default_frown.gif

I'm gonna do a steady cruise with a few stops along the way. I never ride hills, so I typically can hang on the flats/gradual hills with the fast peeps but then get dumped on the climbs. And there are some BIG climbs.

ShagginWagon

Cool- I'll look for you in the chute. My plan is to take it easy and try to make my legs last all day, so we can hang together as long as it makes sense. I'll be wearing the company jersey, and probably my camelback. We might be able to find a couple of others to ride with too.

If any non-riders are in the area, there is a beer tent in the park overlooking the finish of the ride. Stop by, have a beer, and cheer on the riders! Beer here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lewiston+railroad+park&hl=en&ll=44.094243,-70.220425&spn=0.008969,0.015321&sll=44.092424,-70.221949&sspn=0.008969,0.015321&vpsrc=6&gl=us&hq=railroad+park&hnear=Lewiston,+Androscoggin,+Maine&t=m&z=16

mikebike357

Cranksgiving is alive and well... here's the details:

Hey guys, just wanted to give you a heads up on a charity race / scavenger hunt

coming up Saturday November 19th 10am.

Its called Cranksgiving, basically a race to different grocery stores around

Portland purchasing non-perishables that are donated to a food pantry after the

race. A good time and a good cause, might as well help out the less fortunate

while riding your bike.

Check out the website for more info.

http://cranksgivingportland.blogspot.com/

All riders of all abilities and all bikes are invited to participate!

Third Place was won on a SS last year!

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
yeah definitely.

But if anyone is on the fence. I did this on a singlespeed converted MTB. and it was my first ride in over a year. I wasn't ready to run a marathon after, but I lived and had a good time back at the shop afterward.

mikebike357

If anyone is looking for a sweet 26er hardtail... I'm going to have an 18" titanium frame up for sale soon. It's a Mongoose (back when they were good and not at WalBag) DX10.9 frame from 2000.

Jimbo

Spun through Bradbury on Saturday morning during (and just after) the dusting we got. 3 miles in, there was a "pop" and I lost all connection to the rear hub. No engagement or clicking when turning the pedals forward or backward.

I just replaced my chain (not the problem) and rear cassette (probably the problem), and this was the first ride since. I think I'll tear her down tonight, but in the meantime - any speculation as to what to look for?

mikebike357

Hmmm... Hmmm... did the rear hub go? If everything is still attached but there's no engagement... sounds like a hub issue to me. What did you find when you tore it apart?

In other news... I have some bits for sale from the wife's old bike:

2000 RockShox SID XC - takeoff from my old 2000 Specialized Stumpy FSR XC Pro. Still works, LIGHT, $45

2001 Mongoose DX10.x Sandvik titanium mtb 18" frame, inc seatpost & clamp. Sweet ride if you want to ride on 26" wheels. $400

Bontrager 26" front disc wheel, barely used. $50

Shimano LX rear hub laced to a mavic rim, non-disc, 26", good shape, lots of life left, $20

Shimano LX front hub laced to a mavic rim, non-disc, 26", good shape, lots of life left, $20

Chris King 1-1/8" headset, blue, old skool with the white lettering. No star nut (it's in the SID fork). $80

Raceface 100mm stem, like new, 26mm, 4 bolt faceplate clamp - $15

Koski Engineering riser handlebars, (26mm) - $15

Raceface Next LP carbon/aluminum triple crankset, square taper, great shape - $75

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Hey mike, what can you do for the following:

-SID

-Bontrager wheel

-Shimano rear wheel

-bars

-stem?

My Father's bike needs some help in those departments.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikebike357

Excellent. Tomorrow might be ok if I get a chance tonight to finish stripping the frame. Unless something comes up after the kiddies go to bed, I should be able to get it done. PM'd you contact info.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back