The Official MS Bike Talk Thread - motors need not apply

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
A few weeks ago I and my girlfriend bought a pair of mountainbikes. Both are Nishiki wasatch's. I got this years model for 5 bills and she got last years for a lil over 360. A few of the components on my model were updated/upgraded from her older model, but shes still more than happy with hers (and probably wont even ever ride it at its absolute limit anyways).

Essentially they are diamondback recoils rebranded and discounted because nobodys ever heard of Nishiki so its a pretty good deal. I had an older DB recoil a few years ago and loved it, this is even better. First order of business for me will be some bars with a big rise, lock-ons, shorter stem, and better pedals. All the other components Im happy with, and will stay the same untill they break. Except mabey converting to 8" disks and grabbier pads.

Bottom line: Excited to be back oj the seat of a MTB!

SurlyOBS

Not sure where everyone prefers to ride trails but I've been meeting up with a group every Sunday morning outside Range Pond State Park.  There's a dirt lot across from the entrance to the park and last Sunday we had 14 riders.  There is great singletrack in there and it drains well even after heavy rain.  Riding is mellow, no one gets left in the dust at trail intersections.  It's an early ride so people can still have the rest of their day available: 7:30-9:00am.  I was driving my Forester but now that I have Matt's old RS I need to get a rack so no MTB on the new subie yet.  Stuck driving the CRV.  

Hope to see people if they can make it.  We ride even in light rain but PM me if you want my number to confirm that we are riding.  

-and if anyone has a Thule short roof adaptor or a 406 fit kit that would be a lifesaver!  I'm almost thinking that I don't need the short roof kit if I just carry 2 bikes on the coupe.  Thoughts?

-Mike

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Forgot to take a pic: 

577605_916379506287_1806005419_n.jpg

and after a nice dirt ride:

66705_955013253947_502729813_n.jpg

inski

Mike,

http://www.maloneautoracks.com/about.php

I think these are the people behind Swedish Solution in Westbrook, near Haven's Candy and Cinemagic. It says "Auto Racks" on their sign.  Or something like that.

Finally got the Rockhopper dirty.  I never went out with Calvin W. starting Jan.1 like I promised.  But, slowly getting into the saddle again.  I'm old.  I cant make abrupt changes like you youngens.  
default_biggrin.png

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Bradbury mt state park has killer trails in a variety of disciplines. I highly reccomend.

Anyone selling a newer air rear shock? Looking for fox or rockshox in 7.5"x 2. With pump would be great

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Broke down and just ordered the new fox float CTD from Allspeed in portland, got a deal at 10$ under msrp!

Real excited. Im a virgin to air shock territory, adjustable rebound baby! Booyah! No more bulky coil sprung junk for my budget bike. Spent more than half of what I bought the bike for new on the shock
default_tongue.png
there are methods behind my madness though.

HR radness

His royal radness
Help me out boys and girls.  I am finally back in good enough health to do some riding.  I have an old Cannondale M700 MTB that I took for a ride recently and I really need something more updated.  stopped at a LBS recently and rode around an entry level bike, the Trek 3500.  I REALLY like the frame geometry of the newer MTB's.  I was MUCH more comfortable and confident on that bike.  So....the cannondale is going by bye and I am shopping for something new or new(er)  Here's what I am looking for, chime in with any thoughts on the components I list:

19-20" frame Light duty hardtail  MTB  Pedro in his infinite wisdom recommended me a bike like the shiny new number he just got, but I want something with a more upright riding position.

Front suspension for trail riding if I want to.  Lockout would be nice but not a must

Disc brakes.  I really dig the hydraulic disks but that may be out of my price range

26" tires?  Do they make that much of a difference?

I would like to stay under $500 if at all possible

Trek 3500 is the only one I have test rode so far, any other models come to mind?

SurlyOBS

Inski,

Thanks for the tip about the racks.  They say their stuff won't fit the 2dr impreza.  I'll have to get some Thule parts.  Glad to hear that you got the Rockhopper out on the trail.  I'm saving up for a new Surly Krampus: 29"x3.0" tires! Crush everything!

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Not sure where everyone prefers to ride trails but I've been meeting up with a group every Sunday morning outside Range Pond State Park. There's a dirt lot across from the entrance to the park and last Sunday we had 14 riders. There is great singletrack in there and it drains well even after heavy rain. Riding is mellow, no one gets left in the dust at trail intersections. It's an early ride so people can still have the rest of their day available: 7:30-9:00am. I was driving my Forester but now that I have Matt's old RS I need to get a rack so no MTB on the new subie yet. Stuck driving the CRV.

Hope to see people if they can make it. We ride even in light rain but PM me if you want my number to confirm that we are riding.

-and if anyone has a Thule short roof adaptor or a 406 fit kit that would be a lifesaver! I'm almost thinking that I don't need the short roof kit if I just carry 2 bikes on the coupe. Thoughts?

-Mike
Still doing the group rides?

SurlyOBS

Yes, still doing the group rides on Sunday mornings until it gets way too cold. I'm going to miss out on the next few but they will still be happening. Frank @ Busytown Bikes leads them and I usually lead the faster group. Call the shop and ask Frank if you want to be sure on any specific day. The number is: 207-241-3233

Soon I'll be riding a Surly Krampus on those trails. The frameset and rims come Friday and then I build it up. Hope to meet you on the trails sometime.

-Mike

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Go 29" man! 

grab a closeout for discount prices!

Help me out boys and girls.  I am finally back in good enough health to do some riding.  I have an old Cannondale M700 MTB that I took for a ride recently and I really need something more updated.  stopped at a LBS recently and rode around an entry level bike, the Trek 3500.  I REALLY like the frame geometry of the newer MTB's.  I was MUCH more comfortable and confident on that bike.  So....the cannondale is going by bye and I am shopping for something new or new(er)  Here's what I am looking for, chime in with any thoughts on the components I list:

19-20" frame Light duty hardtail  MTB  Pedro in his infinite wisdom recommended me a bike like the shiny new number he just got, but I want something with a more upright riding position.

Front suspension for trail riding if I want to.  Lockout would be nice but not a must

Disc brakes.  I really dig the hydraulic disks but that may be out of my price range

26" tires?  Do they make that much of a difference?

I would like to stay under $500 if at all possible

Trek 3500 is the only one I have test rode so far, any other models come to mind?

inski

My son got a Fuji Navada 29er last fall.  Haven't heard any complaints yet.  Although, I don't think he's hit any rough terrain yet.  Mostly campus duty, sidewalks, pavement, leaning on it while talking to chicks.
default_rolleyes.gif

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Yes, still doing the group rides on Sunday mornings until it gets way too cold. I'm going to miss out on the next few but they will still be happening. Frank @ Busytown Bikes leads them and I usually lead the faster group. Call the shop and ask Frank if you want to be sure on any specific day. The number is: 207-241-3233

Soon I'll be riding a Surly Krampus on those trails. The frameset and rims come Friday and then I build it up. Hope to meet you on the trails sometime.

-Mike
Awesome thanks for the info. And definitely! Always looking to make more friends in the mainely/mtb community.

Mabey a mainely bike ride could be arranged? Although everyone rides a different discipline so that could be tough.

I've really really missed riding a mtb. Since I bought my bike and really rode trails for the first time at Bradbury I'm hooked worse than a crackhead. I've already upgraded my rear shock, pedals, bars/grips/stem, bought a hydration pack, and started building some singletrack in my yard. I now eat.sleep.breathe mtb and I love it!

Latest posts

Back