The unofficial GUN talk thread

inski

Paul is one of 3 Senior Master shooters in Maine for USPSA.  He won Limited 10 in the Area 7 (New England and New York) regional last year.  Excellent all around shooter.  Superb with pistols. Excellent trainer too.

inski

6.8spc is ok.... But in the AR platform it sucks.  Different mags, different bolt, BLAH!  Keeping it in the family of 300blk, or this (new to me) 6x45 is good because they both started from the ground level as a .223/5.56 round.  This means using easily available mags, easily available bolts. It's ONLY a barrel swap.  

I don't know ballistics of this new round, but I will stay with 300blk for the fact that is packs a punch up to 200 yards.  I don't really need my AR to drop anything further then that.  Lets be honest, If I'm building a long distance gun, it will be a bolt gun in .308 anyway.

But I would love to see some charts on that.
Yeah I'm still on the fence about that too.  A bolt action in 308 or 300winMag.  Always wanted a Rem700 SPS Tactical with a Hogue stock and bull barrel, and they're starting to re-appear again. And, some come with a threaded barrel for $40 more.  I guess it depends on how many times I feel like driving over to Pemi and trying their 1000 yard range.  Some day in my life time I'd like to make a fist size group at 1000 yards.  The SPS barrel might not be long enough.  Might be barking up the wrong tree for such distances.

i-wagon

Shot .22s with dad yesterday, guess I need to confiscate his mkii once in a while and tear it down, that thing was filthy inside. But we had fun shooting at the target I'd made, three 4x4 squares of dump truck leaf spring hanging on chains

Gretsch308

pebu8e6a.jpg

yjusuqeb.jpg

inski

What do you have there Joe??

http://www.enhancedprecisionproducts.com/  

This guy does "retexturing" of polymer frames and poly anything really.  Some people call it "stippling." I first learned of the process in the paintball community.  Then found it being done on firearms too.  Its a fairly simple process, although time consuming.  This guy's work is straight forward bare bones design.  If you search around you'll find some cool designs and patterns out there.

Nate

Founding Father
Tomorrow morning I'll be picking up yet another offering of 9mm..  This time in the single stack variety.  XDs 9mm incoming!

Nate

Founding Father
Also have a brand new Windham Weaponry AR coming too...  WOOOOOOO! Finally finished being built and I'll have it in a couple days.  Before and after pics to coming.  The stock pile of parts is adding up for it.

Nate

Founding Father
Yah I've had the chance to fondle a few, and shoot one.  Love my M&P15, but can't wait for WW!

Plus I just can't wait to shoot again.  My Smith is torn down since I sent in my ATF form 1 paperwork to short barrel it.  Sometime around the new year I expect to be able to finish that project. The Smith with be 10.5"

inski

My son gave me his lower for Fathers Day belated, so the 6x45mm project is all mine now.  Good in one way, bad in another way.  Good I can do it all my way.  Bad because my budget isn't as good as his.

I'm looking for an upper and bolt carrier group first. Suggestions?

Going to keep my options open until the last item, the barrel.  Right now I'm still leaning towards 6x45mm about 80%.  .300AAC and 5.56 aren't out of the question.  Guess it really depends if I stumble onto any sick deals like sometimes you see on complete uppers.

Nate

Founding Father
My son gave me his lower for Fathers Day belated, so the 6x45mm project is all mine now.  Good in one way, bad in another way.  Good I can do it all my way.  Bad because my budget isn't as good as his.

I'm looking for an upper and bolt carrier group first. Suggestions?

Going to keep my options open until the last item, the barrel.  Right now I'm still leaning towards 6x45mm about 80%.  .300AAC and 5.56 aren't out of the question.  Guess it really depends if I stumble onto any sick deals like sometimes you see on complete uppers.
I guess we should go back to the beginning and ask what you are trying to accomplish with this gun again..  What will it's purpose be??  

Bench rest long distance shooting? 5.56 will fit the bill just fine. Cheaper ammo, easily available parts. Barrels are abundant. .223 wylde chambers are the new go to.  600 yards is easy with the right piece of glass.  Just don't expect it to hold much power by the time it gets out there.  But it would pop a hole in paper!

Hunting? again I don't know ballistics of the 6x45, but 300blk packs a punch out to 200 yards with minimal drop. I wouldn't go much further though. So amazing for 0-200 yards. put in specs for 6x45.  Maybe this fits a niche for hunting... Both use same mags, and BCG

If you really must go further, and you really must carry stopping power, why not just give in to a Remington 700.  Under $700, then good glass. Boom DONE! Same money by the time you are done buying a high end bull barrel for the AR build.

MuddyWRX

I should get out my 700. I haven't shot it since last year but when I did I could cover all 5 holes with my thumb at 100 yards. Nice bolt guns to shoot.

I had a spare box of 45 around so I took a quick trip to the range. Forgot part of my target stand so I shot at 25 yards.

Looks like I need to tweak my sights a bit, I was hitting to the left overall.

I also managed to find a bunch of ruger BX-25 mags so I had to try one out.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Thinking about picking up a new rifle soon. Possibly a Ruger American, but not positive yet.

Shot a friends 300 Weatherby Magnum this past weekend and loved it, but I won't be going with anything that big. $75 per 20rds is a bit insane.

Also shot a hundred rounds off 5.56 through the AR, along with about 1300rds of .22 That's just too much fun. Still need to give it a good cleaning. And I finally fired my SKS, first time since I bought it. That thing shoots awesome! Scored 60 rds of 7.62x39 for $5.17 per 20 this weekend too. Wish I could find more for that price.

Latest posts

Back